Register now to get rid of these ads!

CRAGAR issues.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by teddisnoke, Jan 11, 2009.

1. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

I"ve got a dilemma. On a continuing basis, I"m cracking those eccentric washers used on these rims! Its the weirdest thing! I talked with Cragar reps at the last two SEMA's, and they just shine me on. Has anyone else had this issue? On average, I get about two that go to crap when I'm pulling the wheels off for various reasons. Anyone run into this? It seems the metal that is used is very brittle, as it does not bend, but cracks and fractures. What a joke.
    One note- the reps did tell me that they were switching to application specific rims instead of the a uni-lug design. Does no help for my situation though. Any thoughts or input is appreciated.

Dale

2. Muttley

Muttley

I havent had any problems with mine. Are the washers centered between the nubs?

3. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

Never had any issues either.

4. kelzweld

kelzweld

I've run both slotted and uni lug Cragars and the only problem I've had with the washers is the chrome cracking. This might be a silly question but you've got the side stamped 'wheel side' up against the wheel aye?

5. I never liked those unilug wheels myself. I've seen some break, but only at tire shops that use impact guns. The last place I worked, we torqued them by hand and never had one break.

As a last resort, if you know someone in a machine shop, have a set made up out of stainless steel sheet. They'll be better than the stamped ones and shouldn't be hard to reverse engineer.

Bob

6. Make sure you are not using cheap offshore manufactured junk washers that sell by the bucketfull at swap meets. The quality just isn,t there.They just might be poorly made cast items!

7. Cool_32

Cool_32

I use to have the unilug with the cast washer arrangement back in the 80's on my T Bucket and they broke also but didn't cause any problems and I use to drag race it. When I put a wheel back on I would just put the washers in place. The ones I have now are just straight unilugs no back washers and have no problems.

8. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

The washers on mine would bend with me tightening them down and sometimes I'd go to check my wheels or take them off to clean them and i'd notice one missing!! Wonder where it went... always thought some crackhead was taking my wheels off, stealing a washer and putting them back on.. this makes much sense now... just joking but I use the cheap washers that dont even say "this side up" or whatever on them they're just blank and from the tire store 4 blocks away and free when I buy the lug nuts. maybe your tightening them TOO tight ?? I know they're supposed to be torqued in a certain pattern and at a certain amount I just use the star and go till I can't go no more or till I feel they're gonna break... damn I sound like a half asser.. I actually to go around and tighten in a cross pattern little by little just not to a certain "number" on a torq wrench.. I should tho..
    Anthony

9. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

I use silver anti-seize on the shank of the lug because it slows the corrosion down in the lug holes. But a side effect is the washers are a lot less mangled and torn. Torquing dry about destroys em after 2 or 3 removals. With round washers you can get away with bad practice because the washers just seize to the studs, and it's not an issue when they spin. Eccentrics don't have the same luxury.

How fast does this car run? I'm seeing an altered wheelbase avatar with cragars and wondering.....

10. dbradley

dbradley

"One note- the reps did tell me that they were switching to application specific rims instead of the a uni-lug design."

That quote speaks volumes about the "uni-lug" design. So they're going to retool and make countless versions of the same basic wheel......... wonder why?

11. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Wow! Thanks guys for the info. I"ve been around for a bit, but its always good to hear others. These are, or were, straight from the Cragar bag. Now, what I think I may do is swap out the rears for some chrome units. They will still look perfect with my altered 'Dart. Most likely be alot easier in the long run!!

Dale

12. novadude

novadude

O/T

How'd you manage to finally attach those Bull-nose centers? I like that look. :)

13. I bought a set up lugs and washers from a guy on EBay, Lugnutking, for my Supremes. They are very good quality and very heavy duty. He is located in Cali, but I got them shipped here to Texas in just a few days! Good quality and service.

14. I have Cragers on the GTO with no problems. I used the washers that came with the wheels.

15. tooslow54

tooslow54

I believe (not 100%) that they are under new ownership. This could easily explain changing things up.

16. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

The Lugnutking is the place to go for any items that hold your wheels on, or that dress up your wheels. The owner is a very friendly guy and absolutely knows his stuff and, more importantly, stands behind what he sells. Can't recommend him highly enough...

17. WOW, that really surprises me. I have used many sets of Cragars since the 70's, in fact I used to sell them at a tire store that I worked at in '73. I managed to break the center out of a wheel (on a cops 63 Vette no less) but never saw a unilug washer break - bend, Yes, Chrome peel, Yes but break, No. I have even used 3 sets in the last few years with no problems.
    Very Strange ......

18. Are you sure that the lug is not bottoming on the stud before the lug is truly tight?

I have seen this once....the lug LOOKED tight...the wheel FELT tight...but the closed lug was actually "bottoming out" on the stud at specified torque and the wheel was not truly tightened to the axle/drum. The studs were ever-so-slightly too long...the lugs wouldn't read as being loose, though, because they were tightened down against the stud end. If the studs had been even 1/16" longer the wheel would have felt loose and the problem would have been obvious.

Over time the slight movement of the wheels would crack the washers. The guy (after some "discussion") eventually did say that the car vibrated a bit but he had assumed it was tire balance. He said it wasn't bad, though. Open-style lugs...problem solved.

A too-long lug shank could do the same thing.

19. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Homespun, thnks for bringing up that point. We actually checked that out. I put a very small dab of grease on the head of the stud, tightened it up, then backed it down, and shone a light inside of the lug nut. It all looked fine there. I'm going to re-order a new set of lugs, go through it all one more time, maybe even lightly grease the back side so as not to "gall" into the face of the rim (?). Someone suggested that to me, that possibly the washers were gouging into the rim face, and that may have something to do with it. Whew! We'll see.

20. lgh1157

lgh1157

I've had the same problem before, went to autozone and bought some cheap ass washers . . . . problem solved, they have about 3 different kinds, the ones i got are are thick and wide, they seem pretty good

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009