Register now to get rid of these ads!

Your to big for the car you love ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ragtop49, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Oldmanolds

Oldmanolds

tfeverfred. That's one great video! LMFAO

2. I used to have a '33 Willys, and boy was that narrow across the front seat! I used to fart and blow the passenger out the door!
    Then I traded up to a Caddy- now I can get my whole family (4) across the front seat.

3. Finktim

Finktim

Hmmmmm.....At 5'6" 139lbs., I don't have much problem fitting into anything! I did make the mistake of putting some of Kirkeys aluminum racing seats in my deuce though, and they have the high sides, so you have to swing your legs over them to get out. My buddy/mechanic can't even fit in it to help work on it. I just picked up some tall racing buckets from Summit that have low sides, and a 20" wide seat bottom to accomodate my always larger friends! I figure one of them is going to ride to Billetproof with me, and it would be nice if they could actually walk when we get there! :D

4. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

Local Guy that hangs out at post 91 legion Hall ,built a wicked old harley with wheel chair rig where sidehack was. He custom built hand controls for it. The freaky thing is from the correct angle, when this rig is rollin, looks like a bike being "GHOST RIDDEN" . Cool build that gets him up in the breeze bar to bar.

Best ,Haney

5. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Riley Imp...heart break city.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Yeah I feel your pain as I am FULL GROWN at 5'10" and 300, I was a little tight in my last car, my Model A Phaeton, thank goodness for open top cars! The current '55 TLB style car should prove better! Heck, my daily driver parts chaser V-8 S-10 is tight with me and my cousin! Even went so far as to remove the center seat belts!! I mean, even with normal size folks, 3 in the front of that puddle jumper would be tight!

7. Tony

Tony

Thats fucking hilarious!
    It took me a couple month's to get 'used' to it..
    I look back and still can't believe it drove it as much as i did. To this day i've never put as many miles on any old car as i did that truck...it went everywhere with me.
    I could drive it for about 2 to 2.5 hours, then i had to get out and stretch for a few minutes. Then i was good for another couple hours..
    Denise, i've always loved that shot. It's so comical.. and brings back memories of the whole 'crew' walking through applebee's with the locals seemingly uneasy with the visual riffraff that had just walked in :)
    Good times! haha

Tony

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  8. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Yep, one of my most favorite photos as well. Just the little bit of mudd on the door always reminds me of what you can't see in the photo......you two, along with everyone else that day, up to their knees in mudd.

Mike swiping up before he got into your truck:D
    [​IMG]

9. I REALLY wanted to build a '27 Track Roadster...until I sat in one. At 6' 4", with size 13 feet and broad shoulders it became painfully (literally) clear that another course should be taken. My '59 is a perfect fit!

10. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

I am keeping my fingers crossed that I fit in mt Fiat. A 80 inch wheelbase doesn't leave much room for the driver, or a passenger for that fact. I am looking foward to trying to stuff my oversized buddy into it someday. Hey nobody said they were supposed to be comfortable. This is a picture of it sitting next to my DAd's Anglia, just to give you an idea of just how small it is.:)

Attached Files:

11. Movinman

Movinman

Hahahahahahahaha! Look! An orangatan in a T bucket!!!! :eek::D

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  12. I'm 6'x255, and I'm building a '29 A roadster. The ONLY thing saving my big arse is that it's not channeled, and the doors are glued shut.
    I've done a few trial fittings and since I'm using buckets to clear the 4 speed I think it will be OK... I'm a bit worried about the 17" sprint car wheel, but when I started measuring steering wheels, I found ALOT of factory wheels at 17".
    As it is now, I climb over into the passenger seat, and kind of hinge in the middle to get around the steering wheel.
    I may end up building some sort of bench seat so my big ass can spread out. Most of the time it will be a solo ride, my wife looks at the car and just shakes her head. It's an open wheel 'glass car with a 454 4 speed and I can't talk her into even entertaining a ride in the "death trap".
    One thing for sure, if I'm going more than an hour from home it's going on a trailer to get there.
    It's one of those things where you have to decide if you want practicality or fun. Sometimes you don't get both. Maybe I could have both IF I lost the 50 pounds my doctor wants me to loose, but then he would be out of a job, wouldn't he? Thanks, Mike I'm not fat!!!! I'm teddy bear plump!!!!!!!!

13. I have the opposite problem - I'm 5'2" and 180 - so it's getting in and out of things (with the seat all the way up) and reaching the pedals (if the seat will go far enough up)!! When I first set up my 32 seen in the avatar, I was looking through the space between the top of the dash and the "loop" of the steering wheel! I could see nothing!

I had to work a bit of trial and error to get enough height to see, drop the steering wheel (but not into my lap) so I'm not looking through it , have enough to reach the pedals and then be able to get in and out of the "small door" 32!

My black 40 Ford coupe is a flattie/5-speed and clutching is a stretch (with my left leg) as is my 91 SBC p-up w/V6 and 5-speed! I'm thinking blocks on my pedals here!

14. Paul Y

Paul Y

Mike,

Get a quick release steering wheel boss like the use in most motor sport and you will solve a lot of your entry and exit problems.

P.

15. Yeah, but you got the right person riding shotgun....

16. Holy crow I think Ryan needs to start a HAMB diet and exercise program. LOL
    I have fortunately never really had a problem with fitting in a car but some of you guys must need a Chiropractor after you drive your cars. Some very funny pics and stories in this thread

17. tikidiablo

tikidiablo
    from so cal

I agree. Looks like you need a booster, but the bear next to you is going to be just fine.;)

18. jdubbya

jdubbya

Rumor has it that Ryan is close to signing Jenny Craig as an Alliance Vendor.:D

19. My buddy is always saying I look like the circus bear riding the little bike.....lol
    My girlfriend is a petite 5'3" and she reaches the pedals and fits fine, I guess that kinda sums up how tight it is in there for me. I got nothing on some of you guys though.
    Look at the channel on my buddies A and he's 6' 2", I'd need a hoist to get out of this..lol

[​IMG]

20. mrdodge

mrdodge

6'4" and 240 lbs. Fit into the T bucket alright and can drive 2 hours before I need to get out for a stretch. Looking for a Model A roadster next....so much more room!!!!:D

21. lardcore

lardcore
    from sin city

oh shit... that's just about the funniest thing i've ever heard... i'm so going to have to steal that... i dont really think i have long legs but my legs are always scrunched up in my chest... that could be because i feel it necessary to put my ass all the way to the front of the seat so i can be as low as possible...

22. mrdodge

mrdodge

Did I also mention that my lovely wife of 21 years is only 4' 11 and 3/4 (could never make 5' !!:D) so the Model A is going to have some seat adjustability issues!!:(

23. this is some funny shit! i'm 6'6" and have been since i was 12! used to hover around 280#, got sick and now 420# funny thing is i fit in a 95' civic? most other vehicles(except old panel trucks) fit me like a birth control device:rolleyes:. what kills me is the reaction when i get into somebodys vehicle and they say "that seat will go back!" and i answer "it's already back all the way!:D shiiiiit!:eek:

24. eharnden

eharnden

Me being 6'3" is restricting me from chopping my 1936 chevy truck and i am not done growing either, i just turned 16

25. Tony

Tony

This post is cool..and funny.
    It's pretty wild what we will to do ourselves to fit into a car we should NOT fit in just to go for a ride..

Phil, that pic with your copilot is priceless! Love it! :D

Tony

26. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I used to feel your pain. Im 6'0 220 and Ive had my 38 Chevy Coupe since 74. It had the original seat in it up until I rebuilt the whole car in 1996-2000. When I was younger it didn't bother me much on long trips. Not the same nowadays. when I did the rebuild I cut out the floorboard front to back and build my own to replace it. Raised the trunk floor and make a fuel tank and mounted it under there. Then I had a flat floor ( with a tunnel of course ) all the way from the firewall to under the rear window. I found a later model s-10 seat that fit width wise so before I build the floor I blocked up the seat from the shop floor and used to sit in it making vroom vroom noises for a while to make sure I had it where I wanted it, then built the floor, bracing, to fit and lowered the steering column to fit. Now its the most comfortable vehicle I have. In 2001 I went on the power tour and drove it all the way home from San Bernadilo CA to Lubbock Tx, 1300 miles in about 23 hours with out a problem. The seat does have a permanent butt print in it from that trip though. In 2004 the wife and I drove it from Green Bay WI to Lubbock in two days, 800+ per day. Nothing like having a car taylor made for you.

Now Ive built a v-8 corvair and its a different story. Gonna have to get a quick release steering wheel for that one. Getting out of it is kind of like being born again. Gotta turn just right, get the legs just so so, then squirt out

27. BigChief

BigChief

Oh no sweetie....your *somebody*, thats for sure. And your certainly not just anybody! I figured you had the pic but wasn't totally sure. Its been posted a few times but I couldn't find it in the sea of Jalopy Showdown pics where I thought it was.....thats because it was probably shot at York. Duh. ..... Thanks for posting it up here again.

The ringer's on high.....AND vibrate. ;)

28. Tony

Tony

TMI TMI TMI!!
    hahaha

Please shut OFF the vibrate if you know i'll be calling, thank you.
    Back to your regular scheduled program.............

29. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I am 6,1 and around 200 and if my stomach sticks out any more I might have some problems while in my 37 chevy p/u,it has the original steering column and seat and was made for someone smaller. When I redone the seat I put 2 inch foam on the cushion and backerst not thinking how small the cab is,I did take most out of the backrest ro get me away from the steering wheel but still need to get most of the foam off the cushion as my head is close to the headliner. Jeff

30. metalman

metalman

At 150 Lb width isn't a problem for me but 6'4" can be. Had a customer drop off a 40 Willys PU (With recessed firewall of course) for me to work on. He left, I went out to test drive it, could'nt close the door, my knee was beside the steering wheel. He was all of 5'2", glad it was his truck.
    My biggest challange was to fit into my Pro Street 71 Maverick (don't laugh, it was cool in 1980) with a full cage, 4 speed. I built it to fit no problem but I wasn't planning on being in a full leg cast for 8 months. Didn't want to be stuck at home. Get in with left leg (in cast) first thru right door, prop cast leg on clutch. Sit down, clutch is in, raise my ass out of seat and lean in to engage clutch. No seat belt, couldn't raise out of the seat with it. I think I was an idiot for driving that way but it got me where I needed to be!