Register now to get rid of these ads!

It's been a sad week

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JOECOOL, Jan 9, 2009.

1. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

My brother passed away last Sunday ,very unexpected. I know all of you wish his wife and the rest of the family the best, but thats not really why I posted this.
    My brother was a wheeler-dealer, hustler of sorts. When he left he left three shipping containers, two rental buildings,a huge garage and stuff everywhere.
    He was always dealing and as close as he was with his wife ,she tired of his dealings years ago and took no interest in them.
    What I'm trying to say is ,for christs sake talk to someone or write this stuff down folks.
    WE have no idea what is going on,after the funeral a man came up and told me my brother had purchased and paid for two tube radiant heaters and was supposed to take them down in the spring. It was certainly nice of him as we had no idea this had happened.

This board is full of people who also wheel and deal, please write stuff down ,or communicate . Your friends and family will appreciate it .

Thanks for letting me rant.

2. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Sorry for your loss,I've been there having lost a brother.

3. Sorry for your loss Joe. Praying for peace and comfort for your family.

Your advice is on the money, literally.

4. sun down

sun down
    from tx

sorry to hear about your loss, your suggestions make sense but
    I have a hard time telling my wife.....ever thing..

I do have what she needs to know in my will though

5. i know excatly what you mean,my granfater was a depression era kid,and saved EVERY THING,he died 2 years ago and i am still sorting through stuff!!

6. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great advice and a post that everyone needs to do.
    Sorry to hear abouth your brother, I'll be praying for
    your family.

7. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I too am sorry to hear of your brother. Condolences to your family.
    That is some great advice though, I knew a truck engineer that died a few years ago, he had his hand in dozens of pots and no one knew what to do after he passed

8. speedmill

speedmill
    from loveland

I know you and your family are in the loving hands of the spirit during this difficult time.
    Thanks for the advice.

9. dbradley

dbradley

Sorry for your loss.

I sat down a month or so ago and wrote out a will and an attachment that lists EVERYTHING I have (no matter how little its worth). My brothers and I just went through all this mess with our Mom about a year ago. Its NOT easy and you can't believe what you'll find.

10. I'm sorry for your loss.

A few years ago a friend of my father passed away, leaving a huge mess in 4 garages and a house full of stuff. We managed to rescue a lot of stuff, but a ton went in the dumpster and a LOT of stuff just magically 'disappeared' when various 'antique dealers' came through and his widow didn't know what stuff was, or what it was worth. A set of NOS Ardun heads almost went in the dumpster.

I put small tags on my stuff now. At least people will have some sense of what all my crap is.

11. Man, I am sorry to hear about your brother.
    I'm going through the same thing as my dad passed away a week ago Sunday as well. My mom wants to just get rid of everything because she doesn't know what's worth what or what to do with it. Thankfully, we have some very good friends that will help go through all of the stuff he left.

12. Abomination

Abomination

Maybe everybody should start a spreadsheet, or get a bunch of those little paper tags with the wire fasteners and a magic marker... crap man, I think I should hit the Hobby Lobby on the way home from work and get some!

~Jason

13. I lost my brother a few years back. Sorry for your loss.

14. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

thats what i wanted to do(paper tags with wire) but wifey says she can't find them. where do we get those at. could be wife just dosen't want to face reality

15. My condolences, Joe.
    And while we are at it, when you take a photo, especially of family, write on the back who it is and the date. My sister and I ended up with a huge box of photos my mom had that we have no idea who these people are. I have photos of my dad's last race car, circa '47-48 with my sister in it, but no idea what race track, or when.
    Now, my sister is gone,and I'm the only one who can identify these photos, but not all of them. Joe is right, write this stuff down. Just my thoughts....Thanks, Mike

16. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

My kids and wife don't know..but over the last few years or so I have complied a list of a lot of my stuff..approx values etc. I almost checked out a few years ago..diabetic coma..went blind..feet problems..all the badjuju. Wife found me laying by my desk at work.
    Three days lost..but came around.
    Doctors were not real positive..but hard work..lots of exercise..and therapy (garage therapy !! YES). GET checked..I coached baseball..worked out..but it still got me.
    Take as good of care of yourself as you would your mill.
    Many of us forget we are human.

DOING excellent now..75 lbs thinner..very good control. Best shape I been in in years..best thing that ever happened was diabeties..!
    My family doesn't understand my addiction to bikes and cars and have no idea about any of it.

I intend to be a very old dude..and will update it all. I have the list in a safety deposit box with a lot of other valuable papers.

Real good idea.
    Sorry for your brother..we all will face it. Make it better for those left..enjoy the hell out of everyday..

..it all goes away too quick.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  17. Staples, Office Depot, Office Max. Most anyplace that sells office supplies will have what you need. Thanks, Mike

18. k9racer

k9racer

I had to change my will on the 27 of oct. I had to drop some one off. I thought the guy and I were good friends glad I found out how he was. It cost me around 350 dollars to drop him off. I am glad I did not die before I could change it. you are better off to leave it all to one person you trust give them a list and let them give away or dispose of your shit. I have no close relitives so I hope this works for me. Sorry for your loss... Bobby///

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  19. solid

solid

Sorry for your loss.

20. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

I am so sorry for your loss. My dad had some valuable coins, I knew he was going down hill and when my mom was out I asked him to advise me on the coins, so I would know, he assured me my brother would handle it and knew what to do.

Well guess what? Dad should've told me, because brother isn't doing what dad thought he would for my mom. Long and short he was the only one that really knew what dad had advised.

A spread sheet, good idea, people don't like to talk about this, but if it is in writing, you don't have to talk, its all there in black and white to guide someone left to handle things. Hell even if you marked a few things each weekend. Prayers to your family!

21. stagernwings

stagernwings
    from tx

My wife and i have been racing togeather for almost twenty years and have had our lives touched by friends passing in motor sports ,its always there when we go out the door on sat nights .we have taged all my junk and i have a living will .over the last few years i have sold everything i dont need to finish the real number of cars i can expect to build in my life with 10 year goals .all parts are in order with each car and my toy collection has all 7500 pcs logged and noted with a sales description for adds .example 1927 wimpy dump truck paid 250.00 in 98 this helps my wife dump my junk. if we both go togeather my church gets all .c

22. manyolcars

manyolcars

Walmart sells inexpensive soft plastic squeeze bottles of paint in many colors.
    They are in the arts/crafts section.

They are real handy to label parts.
    It helps me remember what the part is and maybe someone else if I die.

I use the bright yellow ones

23. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

While I was putting stuff up in the garage attic, I wrote it all down in a notebook so I could remember all of what I had up there.

A lot of stuff I have since sold...I simply cross things out...but the notebook remains. It may be wise to do the same, except write down what you think the parts are worth as well so that someone else besides you has an idea of what all that "crap in the attic" is really worth...

24. Really sorry for your loss... and there's merrit to documenting your stuff!

My folks kept a list of medications, documents and a will in a tupperware container in the refridgerator!!!! (their thinking... pretty safe place!)

When my Dad Died and my Mom pulled out the tupperware from the fridge... and all my brothers and sisters and I were all thinking... Mmmm... Mom's Homemade Cookies...!

Hey we find humor in everything... we could've thought that it was a science experiment from gradeschool... !

25. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Thanks everyone,The worst part is I would see or talk to him everyday ,but never got into the what if.
    It will all work out I just want her to have what she has coming. Thanks again.

26. sorry about your brother, its got to be hard to take. on the other issue my older brother sounds just like your brother was. and believe me his kids are already worried about how and who is going to have to deal with his stuff. good luck dealing with both issues.

27. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Our condolences for your loss and your problems.

Many hotrodders wives who have lived with the junk and the messes int the yard etc. but enjoyed the hobby just call the junkman(you know him, old pickup with plywood sheets around the bed held together by a length of yellow ski rope) and have him haul off everything to the scrapyard. That makes the whole deal painless and gets the homestead clean in just a day or three.
    I can't blame them, think about it.

28. it all comes down to the stuff.. i wish you the best with this situation..
    a timely reminder
    .. i have garage sale leftovers on the shelf next to my electroline headlites and multi carb manifolds ,hemi parts ..
    often wonder what if some one clueless had to sort my mess ...

29. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Sorry for your loss..I think this is a common thing (problem) for the survivors. A good friend of mine who has been collecting flathead speed equipment and rare racing stuff for years says his wife will probably sell his stuff for half of what it's worth cuz that's what he told her he paid for it!!

30. Sorry for your loss. There are a lot of honest people left in the world.
    As for my stuff; My 'ol lady doesn't care what I have. She'll just want it out of her way when I'm gone. I wrote instructions to have a few friends, who know what it's worth, sell my stuff and donate the dough.