Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH: PCV valve install

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stickylifter, Jul 28, 2005.

1. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

This tech post is clear as mud, Thanks for the else where unatainable knowledge!!!

2. rattlecanrods

rattlecanrods

This post is too f$*king hilarious!! I am laughing my ass off... You just made my day...

Nice Tech by the way. The 2-bit whore is a good idea, though it might throw off the power-to-weight ratio... unless you go with a 2-bit Crack whore...

3. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

bttt- just for laughs, one of the funniest threads i've read.

4. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Ok, now even I'm confused. With the screwdriver now stuck in the intake, How the hell do you start the car?

Or are you one of those rich bastages that owns 2 of those screwdriver/starter jumper/oil filter wrench/paint stirrer thingies?

You could get fried trying to short across the terminals with a key. The key is too small and there's a reason the engineers put that non conducting handle on the screwdriver. Always keep your genital area away from contacting the metal fenders on the car while working with electricity BTW. (Important safety tip!)

Now you know why real hotrods don't have fenders.

Why did they name this tool after a Vodka drink anyway? Musta been a commie plot.

You wouldn't happen to have another cup of coffee would you? I could use one after going thru all this tech.

5. Heh! Yeah, it seems to pop up every once and a while, and then dissapear again. Like Sasquatch.

6. hot rod wille

hot rod wille

This is a little different--but kinda the same. I didn't want to run lots of hoses all over my Chevy motor--so I ran a hose and an inline PCV --from a Mopar--into a hole in my tri-power manifold. The hole was there when I got it--and have seen other manifolds with it. Iuse a couple of air-brake fitting --cut and fit--to finish it up. But I have a fill tube in front--no oil blowing out yet.
    Also--didn't want vacuum hoses running everywhere---so I drilled a hole into the back of the manifold just under the rear carb--tapped it for a inverded flare fitting and ran a tube out to the trans and dist.---almost can't see it unless you REALLY look for it.

Attached Files:

7. TwinH

TwinH
    from Finland

8. Fwiw, here's a pic of a screw-on cap on a Cal Custom valve cover.
    From Summit I believe.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It appears there is no baffle under the PCV valve.
    Does it suck oil into the intake under full throttle acceleration?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'd be worried about ingesting dust into the crankcase area since your incoming fresh air is unfiltered.

I run the stock Buick PCV setup and pull air from a filtered area of the air cleaner. (Sme basic deal on the single four barrel setup.)
    If goes from there to the home-made oil filler in the right front valve cover.

Pic of upside down air cleaners for the dual quad setup show where the fresh air is picked up.

As well as a pic of the oil filler and #8 line going to the front air filter.

Attached Files:

9. Mr. Willie, do you know what year and engine the inline PCV valve is from?

Doing the PCV fandango a little different on the 462" Buick engine for the new roadster.

Along those same lines, aren't PCV valves sized for the engine displacement they're on?

I was at the parts store yesterday looking for a PCV valve with threads.
    I've heard the BBC has one with a 1/4" NPT fitting on the bottom end.
    Only threaded ones found were for Rice Burners....

10. I believe they are because I noticed a difference in the size of the hose and the valve itself. I was going to get a nifty threaded metal one, but it was way smaller than the one that I was using for comparison that was a replacement for a caprice classic. I don't know if it makes a hell of a lot of difference though because I have seen the small metal one I wanted to use used on V8s since then.

The thing I like about mine is that doing it with a grommet setup allows you to pull the PCV to fill the oil. I have no oil fil on my rocker covers, and no oil fill on my intake manifold. I was filling it through the dipstick! a HUGE drag.

11. George

George

The safety of your tip is important!:D

12. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Awesome thread! How did tech week let this one pass by :)

Back to the question at hand, PCV valves are sized by vacuum rating. If you've got a lumpy cam, shoot for one from a high performance car that would have had lower vacuum from the factory, such as the original LT-1 camaro.

Stickylifter, you could have BLOWN THEIR MINDS......

The ultimate would have been to also drill a second hole sideways into the #7 runner and put your PCV vacuum port there. Vacuum is vacuum. The line to the valve would be like 2 inches long and totally sano. Or you could conveniently store the matching phillips head.

13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Please forward this tech to Edelbrock so that they can produce manifolds with this hole already in them. Save a valve cover and waste a manifold.

14. westcoaster

westcoaster
    from SoCal

stupid question, maybe. is this even an issue with staight sixes?

15. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

"so I ran a hose and an inline PCV --from a Mopar--into a hole in my tri-power manifold"

Then you have to drive right next to them all the time ?
    What if you want to go someplace different than they do :confused:

16. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

ahh shit i forgot how south this thread went... So funny hahaha

17. George

George

Yes. All engines have condensation & other nasty stuff that needs taking care of.

18. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Stickylifter, you rule!! I was doing research on here for my pcv situation and i just finished reading the 4 pages....good stuff!! i have the same set up but i do have the oil filler tube. My only question is, my manifold is aluminum and you mentioned welding a baffle underneath so the oil doesnt get in the valve, well i dont weld aluminum , or i should say i've never welded aluminum so what's another option? do i really need the baffle? thanx!!

[​IMG]

19. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

Find/make a baffle that has 2 little "ears" and bolt it on with small screws, same way they are bolted/pinned/rivited (or should be) on the underside of valve covers.

20. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Right on!! makes sense! thanx a lot!!

Ian

21. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

22. pair of deuces

pair of deuces
    from western WA

If your block is early enough to have the road draft tube hole at the back of the block you can put a grommet there and stick the pcv right in it with a hose to the carb base. Just make sure that the original baffle is in place in the lifter valley.

23. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

I haven't laughed this hard since the squirrel came to Denise's party. Thanks all.!

24. nexxussian

nexxussian

Lobucrod, thanks, now how do you get soda out of a keyboard?

25. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

You gotta buy a new keyboard like I did the first time I saw it!
    Thought it was very fitting for this thread.

26. nexxussian

nexxussian

27. Needed this info, but forgot how funny this was, BTTT for the newbies who haven't read it.

28. 52Poncho

52Poncho

Just read this! :eek::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:confused::confused::eek:

LMAO!!! What a thread!

29. atch

atch

and a few of us older folks.

how did i ever miss this the first 2-3 times it went around? i've been on here since nixon was in office.

funny stuff.

thanx.

30. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's still funny over 5 years after it was first posted. I knew it was going to go sideways when stickylifter had the following line in his very first post on this thread:

"Like anything, you just keep sticking it in the holes until you find one you like."