Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Photoshop Poll: Color choice for 1951 Mercury

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pro Stock John, Jan 5, 2009.

?
  1. Black

47 vote(s)
    40.9%
  2. Maroon/Burgundy

68 vote(s)
    59.1%
  1. Squablow

Squablow

Just keep in mind that a modern paint system and modern color is going to make the car more modern looking. Not to say that you should paint your car with 15 coats of laquer, but if you're building to a period the paint on the car should at least look like something that was availible during that period.

Ever see a really nice, correctly restored musclecar that was painted in a modern paint/color? It just doesn't look right, and it's easy to tell.

2. 5150merc

5150merc
    from oregon

black with a white interior,nothing more classy than a merc in a tux!

3. twochops

twochops

If you had a full length side chrome trim, you could use two colors.
    I used mid red as the main color and mid Cabernet below the trim.
    TwoChops

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  4. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

One step outside the box: Root Beer Brown.

(nevermind the car)

[​IMG]

Of your two choices though - maroon. Or maybe dark green or blue. :D

5. moparjack44

moparjack44

How about green. This 49 belongs to my buddy, and was burgundy for over 40 years. He has owned the car since 1959.
    [​IMG]

6. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

Now that is a sweet green...but I would go deep dark green for your merc...or burgandy...

7. How about a really deep dark (almost black) purple or burgundy or "eggplant". I'm thinking almost black, but a subtle glow of purple or grape where bright lights hit it. Maybe black with some sort of purple pearl in the last coat. Just think of the cool streaks of purple running across the tops of the fenders, hood, and roof, when you're cruising along under the street lights.

8. That green is cool, what is it? I have also thought about root beer brown.

The suggestions of combo colors, black cherry, eggplant purple are also interesting.

I'm not too much of a fan of colors with purple in them personally for this car.

Right now I like probably black and burgundy the most. My ideal burgundy or maroon would be red but not with purple undertones, but more towards brown... Know what I mean?

I guess nobody has time to 'shop it for me, I'll see if I can find someone to try it for me.

9. This is the color of maroon I would go for if it was me. This is a colorized photo of the Bettancourt merc that Rikster did. Unfortunately it is kind of small but if you can get ahold of Rodder's Journal #33 there is a large one in the article that Rikster did when he colorized a bunch of old customs.

Attached Files:

10. Yes I know exactly what you mean the ones that have been posted so far are way to purple for the era you are after.

You might try PMing Rikster and he might do a quick photshop for you. He will know the right color for sure.

11. moparjack44

moparjack44

If you can see the DeSoto to the left of the green Merc, that is mine, and its a Dodge Avenger color called Wildberry Pearlcoat. May be darker than you are looking for?
    The green Merc is a Candy color, painted over yellow base. He will not tell anyone the actual color. He just worked with his painter 'til he came up with the green he was looking for.
    Jack

12. cecce

cecce
    from Sweden

I was thinking the same as KreatureCC, If it was my car:A dark-dark blue with a coat of red candy on top to make it purple-ish black. But the brother of a friend of mine who builds traditional rods says: If youre building a traditional rod or custom in a special era-style, then go back and look at color chips from that era, because that was what the builders was looking at then. Makes sense doesent it?

13. I'm fine with a great late model (for example) maroon or burgundy, if it made sense. That one 4 door Merc, the sewer pickle or whatever, what color is that? It looks like a cool green/blue.

14. Choptop

Choptop

stock burgundy with a little extra metallic thrown in:

[​IMG]

15. I'd vote for something almost black, but not. I have almost painted cars both the candy brandwine over black and the eggplant almost black purple (both cars went to new owners before paint). Of the two choices above, I pick the maroon.....dark, dark maroon with a candy or pearl (both?) pop like others have stated.

16. I also like this color alot:

[​IMG]

I have started talking to Rik about 'shopping my car in black and this teal. Wifey not so much a fan of maroon or burgundy and I want her to be interested too so I value her input.

17. 5150merc

5150merc
    from oregon

i don't meen to hijack but is there anymore info on this ^^^^fourdoor?

18. Search for the Sewer Pickle.

19. No offense John but that teal is getting kind of out there for a traditional custom car color if that is what you are after. Not a bad color but not really traditional.

20. Choptop

Choptop

the ooooold argument... seeing as many cars had a shade of that color in stock form... I'd say its traditional... but then again, who cares... build/paint what you like.

remember, the past was not in black and white, nor was it in shades of muted colors.

21. MercManMario

MercManMario

Hey 'cutter...apparently the Sewer Pickle is the Holy Grail of chopped sedans....A very nice one indeed. I'm going to shoot for that amount of chop, but some skirts and different caps. Hey, don't you have a battery charger and rubbermaid container to tend to? :p

22. MercManMario

MercManMario

Hopefully Wifey isn't a fan of your grille either....you have to sell it to me, afterall. :)
    I LOVE black....but the pic posted of that real dark maroon is very very appealing. I agree with doing colors that are somewhat peroid correct. I can't stand seeing pre-55 cars in all these radical new House of Kolors schemes.
    Ever since i saw BadBobs Merc, i love the traditional style :)

23. I've talked to Rik and he's going to 'shop my car in black and this teal. If he still has time left over I'll look at a dark maroon pic too like the Bettancourt car so long as it's not purplish.

I think this teal is kinda cool actually.

24. Rikster

Rikster

[​IMG]

With window and side trim

[​IMG]

With 52 Merc headlights

[​IMG]

And DeSoto trim

[​IMG]

Teal...

[​IMG]

Black

[​IMG]

With window trim

[​IMG]

My favorite!

[​IMG]

25. MercManMario

MercManMario

Ohhh I'm a sucker for black. I really like the black of all the colors shown. I'm also diggin' the stainless window trim and the Appletons :)

26. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

Don't know whos this is but this is one sweet ride!!

27. Rik has awesome skills, really helped me figure out what I am doing with the car. Thanks again Rik.

28. BEBO

BEBO
    from LUFKIN, TX

go black, who regrets black, it's classic and clean.

29. Damn Rikster! You are freaking amazing!!!! Any chance you could do a quick color on my old '66 Newport? I was thinking of either Candy Red or Green. If not, no worries, I know it takes alot of time. You are THE Man!!:D

30. ticktock

ticktock
    from New Jersey

Pretty sure it was sold on the auction site recently. I loved everything about the car other than the "Greaser" painted across the back under some nice pinstriping.

As for my vote, can't go wrong with glossy black on a Merc.