Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage NO Portland Rod & Custom Show or Seattle Roadster Show

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BruceVE, Dec 5, 2008.

1. BruceVE

BruceVE
    from Sacramento

Just got this e-mail from a close friend who is VERY much in touch with what's going on in the car show arena.

Hi Guys,

After hearing rumors for the past couple days about the demise of the Portland Rod & Custom Show & the Seattle Roadster Show, I called the guy that holds the paper!!

Dan Cyr told me that the guy that bought these two great indoor car shows from him 2+ years ago "Just Quit!!!" Dan has now started foreclosure & default proceedings as we speak, however there will be "NO" 2009 Portland Rod & Custom or Seattle Roadsters Shows as of this date & time!

The entire future of these two great events for all us car guys in now in jeopardy!!!

If I happen to get an update on these two events I will forward!!

2. Dirty2

Dirty2

Man that sux ! I always like the coverage of this show.

3. Cyrs started both those shows within two weeks of the Portland Roadster Show in a attempt to sink the 53+ year old Portland roadster show after he was booted out. he must have been taking a good percentage from those shows if he's upset and sueing.

4. Blackie

Blackie

The quality of the Portland show has really been declining in recent years IMHO.

5. Maybe this year the Portland Roadster Show will be back to the Grand style Car show it should be and used to be. I can only hope. It's been the Shits going to and paying for two shows to get the Quality of one good show. I'm not the only one around that's been waiting for the Vendeta show to leave Town.
    Long live the Origional Portland Roadster Show.
    The Wizzard

6. NINE INCH

NINE INCH

Long live the Portland Roadster Show is right! The Seattle show has been getting a little stale anyways.:(

7. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I hate to see the Seattle show go, ya its not always the greatest but it was something car related to do in the winter.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Hmmm well that sucks, i was hoping my weekend job would be in seattle again, Divers was featured builder there a few years back

especially after we took the Ridler this year in detroit

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  9. Yeah, I used to hit the Seattle show every other year. Lately, when I've gone, I kept saying I'd never be back. About two years later my curiosity would peak again...only to be let down...again. They really need to focus on what they want to be. Or at least change the name to reflect more about what it is. A roadster show it is not.

10. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

Long live the one and only original Portland Roadster Show. Funny - when one sets out to decieve, and to take one show down, and get's their shows taken down, I really don't feel sorry. After Cyr sued the PRS and won, he should have went away with his pile o' money, but no, he had to try and start a show to outdo or usurp the original, and the best. He tried, he failed, he sold. He owns the scraps again. Karma wins most every time. :)

11. the economy strangles yet another!

12. Not the economy just a crappy show.

13. couverkid

couverkid

Exactly. 5 years ago I said I would never go back and never did.

14. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

But it was a cheap place to store a car for three days.

15. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

Now THAT'S funny. :)

16. Choptop

Choptop

Honest question... What made these shows "bad"?

I can understand the cloud of bad blood hanging over the shows... but what in particular was wrong with them.

just trying to learn from others mistakes

17. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Expensive to get in, not a lot of GOOD cars, and i'm pretty open minded

18. OneBad56

OneBad56

In the early days of the Seattle show, some of the locals felt the judging was biased towards the invtiation only rides that made the 4 show circuit.
    Seems the high-dollar cars were always winning. Locals got 2nd or 3rd places.

19. Richard Head

Richard Head

Even though there was some nice local cars, it appeared like they were desperate to fill the spaces that were left. Some of the cars looked as if they were trying for an orange peel finish. I really wanted to bring some ultra-fine and go to town on some of those cars.

What was sad about the Seattle Roadster Show is you could see a better percentage of nice cars at a local cruise in.

The Tacoma Dome show in the Spring was better because most of the cars were invited to attend the show. I was told that it was an honor just to be in that show and because of that they didn't need to award trophies.

Dave

20. Indoor car shows eat a choad to begin with, and the Seattle roadster show ate the most choad possiblel...in my opinion.

good riddance.

21. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

There are two distinct types of hot rod show promoters. One group is made up of veteran hot rodders who hope to turn a profit. The other is businessmen who consider any modified vehicle appropriate and only care about the profit.

The Multnomah Hot Rod Council are the people who put on the northwest car show that's always worth going to: http://www.portlandroadstershow.com/

They're doing the best they can. They're really trying.

Dave
    http://www.roadsters.com/

22. torchmen49

torchmen49

Heh,heh,heh, ......good one!