Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bonneville salt flats 2009 ??? Dates ??? Things for a first timer (spectator) ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiecockfighter, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Next year im going to the salt flats while a time trail is going on, i dont care what happens im going to watch. . . But i what are the dates for next year ?? There is an early and a late correct ?? Is there any difference ?? Which would is a better event for a spectator and is there anything that i need to bring that you would normally think of ???

Im sure it will be another motorcycle trip and kinda sleep where ever and hangout all the time so if you can point me to anything that would be extra cool i would sure appreciate it !!! Im marking the calendar and taking the reserving the time off as soon as i get your imput . . .Thanks, Dustin

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Have you done a search here? Lots of info posted, plus sites to get dates,etc.

3. Chuck R

Chuck R

4. Pins&Needles

Pins&Needles
    from Santa Cruz

Oh and wear boxer briefs instead of boxers. The sun reflects right off the salt up your shorts and burns your buddies! You won't be able to sit down or walk for 4 days, You won't know what the hell happened and it will always be awkward between you and the buddy you acuse of "molesting you in the tent last night."

5. SBF-70, wide brimmed hat, polaroid or blue blocker glasses, and beer.

6. NINE INCH

NINE INCH

Lots and lots of beer!:cool:

Attached Files:

7. The Worm

The Worm

make sher the bottom of your car is CLEAN. dont half ass it. or even better rent a car when you go out there.

8. KeithDyer

KeithDyer

The Utah Salt Flat Racer bunch website has a lot more info for first timers than anyplace I found, Google it and see what you find.

And don't be afraid to take some of the money back home with you that you win over in Wendover, NV!!

K

9. Dont believe this for a fucking minute! Its only bad if you leave the salt on for a long time. Couple trips to the car wash or park on some weeds and put the sprinkler under the car and the weeds will goaway for a while.

There are cars worth more than any of us poor guys will ever make out there every year and all it takes is some water and soap to remove it.

10. Ol Deuce

Ol Deuce
    from Mt. U.S.A.

There are cars worth more than any of us poor guys will ever make out there every year and all it takes is some water and soap to remove it.[/quote]:D Or pray for a Utah Down Poor on your way home !:cool:

11. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

12. :D Or pray for a Utah Down Poor on your way home !:cool:[/quote]

I have done that too. Got home and PRESTO no more salt.

13. gunk

gunk
    from phoenix

Hot Rod Packard,
    I wish I had half of what you got in that car. One of the baddest cars around. Saw your car up close at Bonneville last year.......love it!

Attached Files:

14. Spark Plug

Spark Plug
    from Duvall, WA

Wholly Crap i'm in tears over this one...Now that's funny as hell!!!! Sorry for laughing at your misery if that happened to you.

15. slepe67

slepe67

LMFAO! I WONDER how you came across that tidbit of knowledge! That is HILARIOUS!!!

16. firingorder1

firingorder1

Last year at Bonneville the salt was a tad wet. My RV brought home about 100 lbs of salt underneath it. I ran the sprinkler under it for about two days to clear all the salt. If you rent a car be sure and get it slat free before you bring it back. Some rental companies don't care but others will hit you with a fat cleaning bill.

A large straw hat, sunscreen, lots of water. Beer is fine for after the racing but you don't want to be asking the guy next to you "Why are they running three cars at a time?" Long sleeve white shirt and white pants really help too but don't trip and fall. No one will be able to find you!

I can't tell you how much I think you should go. Its something everyone should do at least once in their lifetime. But its really a lot better when you go there to race!

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've been there twice and learned things both times.

The big straw hat keeps your bean cooler and helps keep your ears from getting sunburned. Good sunglasses keep the eyes protected.
    The light colored long sleeve shirt and pants go a long way towards keeping you from getting a hell of a sunburn. The guy with the baggy shorts and boxers or going commando getting his nads fried is no joke and it usually happens at least once every year.
    Pack along some Gateraid or an equivalent as you do get dehydrated. A supply of water is a must too. As firingorder1 said it's best to save the beer for after the racing.

I've found that a beach umbrella is easier to pack along for shade than one of the dining canopies. It is easier to fold up if you go off to check out the racing rigs so it won't get blown away too.
    A cb radio and an am-fm radio are handy to listen to the tower and the racers too. I can't remember if the tower runs on am or fm at the moment.
    You can camp at the bend in the road for free and can get a shower at the truck stop for a few bucks and they used to serve a pretty good breakfast. Though if you are serous about watching the races, the guys usually make their record return runs early.

18. monsterflake

monsterflake

what's the temperature like? is it crazy hot or just sunny?

19. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

Both!!! The sun beats you from above and the reflection off the salt gets the rest of you.

20. I tend to wear cheap ass swap meet sunglasses. They did not work so well out on the salt. Better than nothing at all, though. I bought some of the blu-blockers they sell on the salt. What an improvement.
    You have heard of snowblindness..salt does the same thing.

For you guys camping at the bend..
    If you sleep in a tent or in a bed roll..Look out for scorpions. I shook out my bedroll after the second day and found 2 in it.
    I found a couple more under my friends' tent when I rolled that up the last day.
    Are they poisonous? Don't know for sure, but don't want to find out.

Bring a bicycle to ride to the can, or to go through the pits. Its convenient, and a little excersise doesn't hurt.

Dates are August 8-14th

21. firingorder1

firingorder1

If you are lucky enough to break a record your return run will be at 6 a.m. the next morning. So if you are going to see some record return runs you will want to be up early. The truck stop still has great food and showers. Bend in the road still free and a lot of fun.

22. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

OK..Heres the good stuff..Eat at the Truck Stop,good Mex. food..Downtown Wendover, go to Mildreds for a great Hamberger, over 50 different kinds..The buffet accross from the Nugget is best..Bring lots of WATER..
    Duane..

23. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

Be sure to on one day get up early for the record runs and to watch the sun come up over the salt. Damn near makes you religous!! Be good and friendly and you will be surprised how people will take you into their pits and really let you look at the details of their race cars. Great group of people and fun.

Rex

24. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

Do a search here for other threads asking the same questions.
    There is lots of help here for you.

25. Frosty2

Frosty2
    from Hambone,IN

Plenty of sunblock.The first year I was there I thought it was for girly men.If you could see my legs in my avator you'd use it.

26. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Agreed!!

Here are a couple photos from early morning back-up runs, Speedweek 2008

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See ya there in August, 2009!

Malcolm

27. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

Come by the #974 pits and sit in the race car and then sign our from air dam. All of the signatures on it now have went over 250 MPH.

John

28. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

Can you take your motorhome onto the salt to watch the racing?

29. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Yes, not a problem during the day. Once everything is closed down for the evening the motorhome must be moved to the Bend in the Road or another location. Can't stay on the Salt overnight.

30. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Just remember what salt will do to aluminum siding. I remember following Gary Williams home when the sheets of siding were comming off his motor home. Of course that was after several years of negelect.