Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pan Pacific Auditorium

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rolleiflex, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

I was doing some research on the Pan Pacific Auditorium that used to be in L.A. and came across this picture.
    [​IMG]
    One of my all time favorite pictures was taken there in 1955 by famed Hot Rod photographer Eric Rickman. The picture is of the SanChez 1953 Studebaker that became a legendary Bonneville car. I wasn't able to get it to copy, so here's the link to it, http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/featuredvehicles/1953_studebaker_coupe/photo_03.html

A lot of people performed there over the years including Elvis in 1957.

Anyway, a lot of car shows were held there over the years so I thought I'd see if anyone had any pictures and/or memories of the car shows that were held there.

2. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

It was a perfect example of the streamline style of architecture (I'm guessing 1930's), one of my favorites. I attended the 1965 Winternationals car show there, it was set back a block or so south of Beverly Blvd.

Somewhere I have a photo of the entrance, falling apart in decay, which I took in the early 1980's, but I can't find it right now.

3. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Heres one from the 50's...

[​IMG]

4. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

My favorite building in the world! It was in the crappy '80s movie Xanadu. The front of Bobby Greene's shop looks a lot like it.

5. Karpo

Karpo

One of my all time favorite buildings. My Dad took me there when I was a kid for some car shows. What a shame that the building is no longer with us. I have had this photo in my office, it is of a The Motorama Show in 1954, the 54 Corvette is inset on the side of the Pan Pacific building, and Advertising for Vogue Tyres and Chevrolet.

Karpo

[​IMG]

6. 59KUSTOM

59KUSTOM

The entrance to Disney's Hollywood Studios in Florida is patterned after the front of the Pan Pacific. It's pretty cool.

7. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

It's cool to hear from you guys on this.

Karpo,
    That's a really cool picture of the Vette!

8. turdytoo

turdytoo

I remember going there for the GM Motorama in the mid 50's I think I saw M/T LSR car there at a car show in later in the 60's or 70's.

9. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Hers a few more...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This a scaled down replica next to the original site..Pan Pacific Park
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The end.....May 24, 1989

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  10. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Anyone know the story behind the fire?

Frank

11. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

12. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

what a shame,,,
    probably would have been knocked down by some greedy assholes to build a parking lot sooner or later anyway...
    i always hate to see such examples of deco and/or 50s architecture torn down or just plain neglected..

13. Could you please re-post the photos.
    Thanks,
    Mary Ellen

14. Allan Songer

Allan Songer

I play softball there every Thursday night. The have built a kids rec center on the spot and some ball fields. The rec center is built in the "style" of the original building.

The Auditorium was going to be restored and was to become the home of the Los Angeles Film Festival back in the early 90's but funding never came through and eventually it was torched by what many think were homeless people living there.

Gilmore Field was right next to the Auditorium--that's where the Hollywood Stars of the PCL played. And Gilmore Stadium was there too--some football and CAR RACING too!

Now it's all a public park and backs up to the Farmers Market and a retro mall called 'The Grove.'

15. Wow , so the Pan Pacific was where the grove is now? I was just in the area on sunday. Can anyone repost some of the pics that were deleted on this thread. To be able to go to a custom show at this great place would of just been a unforgetable.

16. Special Ed

Special Ed

17. On saturday I finally made it over to the PanPacific Park,it was very cool to see that re creation and to be where the Holy Grail of auditoriums once stood. I read somewhere that the one pillar they have was saved from the fire and they used it on the new rec center but I dont know if that is true or not.Either way it was great to be right where it all went down.

18. images982003

images982003

i'd love to see that photo ,of the pan pacific auditorium

if you find go here

www.ppaplayground.ning.com

john

This site is devoted to the pan pacific auditorium

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  19. Cant think of a better place for a carshow,this place was really the best.What a real shame .