Register now to get rid of these ads!

TOMONGOOSE MCKEWEN rear engine Barracuda

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gasserjohn, Dec 23, 2008.

1. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

looking for pictures imfo rear engine barracuda
    also photos his 57 chev funny car
    THANKS
    MERRY CHRISTMAS HAPPY NEW YEAR

2. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

3. I scanned this from an older book I have. For whatever reason, this is the best I can do for size.

Attached Files:

4. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

Thankyou...iwas at lions alot &sat on hay bales just out your photo to the right but missed the barracuda ...i know it crashed at lions &it was rebuild ...my fastest run in my A was there in the fog rite after the nitro funny cars soaked the fog with nitro fumes?

5. There was a very similar model kit -- I think it may have been called "Hemi Under Glass"

6. talker

talker

you can see this car in the museum of drag racing in Florida Talker

7. caseyajones

caseyajones

Actually you can't anymore because it's no longer there. The car is actually down the street from my parents house in the Spokane Valley. The guy that currently owns it was the neighbor of Tom McEwen back when he was a young kid. Apparently he would spend time around Tom when he was working on his fast cars and Tom sort of took him under his wing. This young guy must have made an impression on ol' Tom because they stayed in contact with each other and many years later after this little boy grew up, Tom McEwen told him that if he went to the Don Garlit's drag racing museum in Florida to pick the car up (It was on loan being displayed in the museum) he could... HAVE IT!!!!!! That's right. Have it!! Tom GAVE this unbelievably HISTORIC drag racing car to the neighbor boy of long ago. Crazy huh!? I have seen this car in person and touched it with my own hands. There was also some big time drama when he picked the car up. The original Hemi that was in the car when Tom dropped it off at the museum was gone, kaput, just an empty engine bay!! The current owner has more details about what he thinks happened to it but I'll just leave that one alone. We're currently buried in snow here in the pacific NW but when it gets nicer out, I'll swing out there and make contact with him, let him know about this thread and maybe he can get on here and tell all of us all of the details. Maybe I can post some current pictures of the car too.

8. frankenstein1948

frankenstein1948

Dana Winters of Spokane Wa. is the current owner.

9. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 'Hemi under glass' was a real car and although also a rear engined Barracuda was hugely different.

10. Wasn't the "Hemi under Glass" a wheelstand exibition car similar to the Dodge "Lil' Red Wagon" and Ford "Little Yellow Wagon" trucks? (not really built to be a true class competition car).

11. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thats right, it was and still is a wheel stand car. I have an original built up of the kit I have to re-build oneday!

12. storm king

storm king

Fred Goeske was actually the first driver of the (Los Angeles area) Plymouth Dealers rear engined car. The car got on its lid early on and was destroyed, the one that's around now is the second car, or rebodied original. Anyway, 'Goose was the second and more successsful driver, and its one of my favorite race cars of the era.

13. kscuda

kscuda
    from olathe, ks

Here it is when it was at Garlits museum
    [​IMG]">

14. I'm sure everyone would like to hear the details about what happened to the Hemi that WAS in the car. Is Dana on the HAMB by any chance or can anyone else shed some light on this mystery?

15. Jim N

Jim N

Here's a couple I took back in 2004 at the Garlits Museum

Attached Files:

16. brandon

brandon

that car is alot neater than the hemi under glass....its sorta along the lines of chrismans first comet...... brandon:D

17. storm king

storm king

Yeah, well the big difference in the two is the red car was built to RACE. Don't you think it was so much better before tracks had to be "groomed" between each round of competition, and the track surface was what you got? a car like that couldn't make it today. It'd hook and do a moon shot, and I like those cars that smoked 'em the whole qtr and ran fast and won.

18. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

My recollection (which could certainly be not as good as I would like) is that Tom McEwen was the original shoe, and Fred Goeske drove it later with some success. It has been a long time though....

That car was from the infancy of funny cars, and shows a lot of imagination, not to mention a requirement for substantial cojones.

Yeah, found a little data to back it up; article is a little hard to read, but you can confirm that McEwen was the first driver, then it was campaigned by Fred Goeske.

http://www.wheeladapter.com/fred_goeske.php

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  19. remember the little red wagon was built to run pro stock type classes before they figured out it was better as a wheelie popper

20. caseyajones

caseyajones

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  21. That definetly is a cool story . Its like a cliff hanger, what happened to the original hemi? did Big Daddy pilfer and betray a sacred trust? Give us more info!

22. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

So the engine was in the car at the museum in the photo in 2002 and now it is gone and nobody could explain how it got missing only about 6 years later now? That seems pretty darn odd and sounds remarkably painful. Man, that must be one hell of a story. Did D.G. yank and take that over some dispute and out of spite or something? Let's hear more about that.

23. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

I'd be inclined to think the enigne in the car while it was in Ocala, may have been Garlits. Besides, I don't think he'd be all THAT bitter, ever been there? There is far more neat cars than floor space at any given time.

24. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Never been there but have seen plenty of posts on it. Obviously he doesn't need any more motors, but who knows what kind of drama might have taken place. Sometimes the worst part of playing with cars is all the cat fighting drama stuff. Maybe best to just let that part of the story die for whatever reason. Cool car for sure though.