Register now to get rid of these ads!

Super damn important! Clunker bill being drafted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kustomkarma, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

I don't understand your point. Honestly, what do you mean...?

2. KY Boy

KY Boy

Is that pulled pork with mustard based bbq sauce? I see you are from GA:D

3. When they had that clunker thing going in California, people brought in running driving vintage cars to turn in thinking they were doing good for the environment because of the snowjob they got on it. I wouldn't be so sure people would just turn in junk - anything that they can get more than market on would go - which given the current market is most everything.

The problem with Pelozi is if you want her to vote against it, you need to find a way to make it so she benefits personally from voting that way, because she could care less about the people she represents. I hate to dive into politics here, but I could say stuff about her that would probably get me a personal visit from the FBI, let's just say I don't like her very much and leave it at that.

4. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

there ya have it!!!!!!

5. slammedchieftan

slammedchieftan

I agree, I dont think the word damn is gonna damage your kids if your raising them right. Seen several other words on here much worse, including my own ( which I will now go edit ) but seriously dont know how old your kids are but I'm sure they here worse.

6. If you guys outside of her district are sending emails,you are wasting your time.Pelosi doesn't care about people outside of San Francisco and won't get the emails.I have tried before to reach her concerning her bizarre thinking via email and it wouldn't go through.You need to mail a letter and put a San Francisco return address on it or her staff will ash can it.My 2 cents...........

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

sounds like what we already have (or had) here in sunny California. you can choose to turn in a running registered old car. it must be able to move under it's own power and they give you like $600.00 for it.

if you have a running car worth $600.oo or less it is not going to be anything we care about. my daily driver is tetering on the edge of being a 600 dollar clunker. as a matter of fact if not for the fact that I do all my own labor my recent clutch, brakes and rear crank seal could have easily put it in a place where the 600 bucks from the gubment would have been a better alternative than paying a mechanic $1000.00 or more to repair it.

who here will be crying if I junked my 76 Volvo? please raise your hand.

8. Mopar34

Mopar34

Mazooma1 wrote:
    I agree with all of your points, and I have a couple of old jap relics that I'm willing to trade for some green stuff, but unfortunately, what worries me the most is that these flaming politicians have attempted numerous times in state legislatures and in Congress to pass some type of crusher bill. Sooner or later they may prevail, and I for one don't want to see it happen anywhere. Once they get a foot in the door, there will be no stopping them.:eek:

Scary thing is, is that Pelosi is a major contributor and supporter of this legislation, so writing to her in hopes to derail it may be a waste. In addition to her, everyone needs to send a message denouncing it to their own representatives, and especially those who are in favor of slowing this legislation down for other reasons.

This proposal is buried in the proposed new economic stimulus package that all of the Democrats are attempting to pass quickly for Obama's signature on the 20th. Writing to Pelosi is probably kindred to pissing in the wind. You need to bring your concerns to each representative, regardless of political party.

Just my .02, and yes I sent email to all of my congressional representatives and to my Senators too (just in case it gets that far :mad:)

9. 5150merc

5150merc
    from oregon

hey i need a granada for parts:D

10. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Mopar34 wrote:....." new economic stimulus package that all of the Democrats are attempting to pass quickly for Obama's signature on the 20th. Writing to Pelosi is probably kindred to pissing in the wind. You need to bring your concerns to...."

just a reminder that is wasn't the Dems that ran the economy into the ground and the national debt into historic low...etc., etc., etc.
    42% of the national debt is now owned by Communist China...what a disaster

11. 46chevypanel

46chevypanel
    from york,pa

12. Stizzealth

Stizzealth

How 'bout we throw all the senators with more than 20 years on the clock out?! I sent my e-mail.

13. Burny

Burny

I'd like to send a letter, but I fancy myself an informed complainer/voter/activist. Got a bill number or any legislation to read? If there was a link i didn't see it. Thanks.

14. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I sent Nancy Pelosi an email urging her not to pass the bill. But they are all so corrupt,i really wonder. Plus she has to keep fureling her jet for cross country trips at our expense.

15. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

Hey I tried to go back and edit the the "D-bomb" out of the title, but you can't edit thread titles - for obvious reasons I guess.

16. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

Just wrote a Florida representative. Gotta a few more on my letter writing list.

17. Burny

Burny

18. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

Hey, good work Burny. I looked around on the web but couldn't find much of anything.

19. stagernwings

stagernwings
    from tx

This threads crap they dont want your old cars , besides if a car you want gets a trade in for a few hundred bucks you must not have needed it that bad or you would have steped up . this isnt about taking your cars away its about new car sales most cars are off the road after 5 - 7 years its a self cleansing enviroment . also here on the hamb if your a true hambster nothing in the last 42 years would interest you guys including 350 engines and all the other late model old school parts .so who cares .c

20. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

SEMA is putting this alert out this is very real, they were doing this in Cali destroyed an untold number of rare and classic cars. the problem is instead of keeping old cars that you could use for parts,people will just scrap them for cash. this kills al your parts. the cali one wouldn't allow you to save parts, the car had to be destroyed intact. no parts.

21. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

If they were rare and classic, then why didn't the owner sell them for big bucks...? how about some details?

22. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

because people don't care thats why, they see a pile of junk they can sell for quick cash or a credit, they don't understand it's worth a lot more then money to someone. besides a lot of people buy into the old car,no matter how well tuned is destroying the planet brainwashing. so they think they are doing something useful.

23. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

So, you are going to tell me or someone else that we can't sell my car to the crusher program???

24. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

Just sent mine for what it's worth...I tried. Giz'

25. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

why would you want to sell your car to the crusher program? if you want to get rid of it sell it to someone who might need it to fix their car. There are too many people out there that think that old cars are destroying the planet,while ignoring the real polluters who find ways to get away with it. the problem is so many people buy into the crap, that a bill like this is very dangerous.

26. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Well, of course, I wouldn't.
    But from a legal standpoint, what if someone did want to sell a, say, 1954 Ford to the scrapper for $500? Or $250? Or whatever...
    I'm just playing the devil's advocate for a moment...if this passes, then any owner should be able to sell their cars whenever they want to, for whatever price they want to. I'll bet you agree.
    Also, I haven't read the fine-print, but I wonder what is the definition of a car? Running? On the ground or on blocks? I mean, who will determine what is a pile of scrap and what is a truly worthy car that should get off the street (as per the opinion of the bill).
    Certainally a Model A body should not be able to sold to the gov. as a "vehicle"..its just a body.
    As, I think we all can agree on, this bill is poorly thought out and totally unmanagable.
    With the pile of problems created in the last 8 years, the new Administration should not be wasting it's time on stuff like this.

Now, I don't remember California ever having a trade-in policy for older cars, but I do remember that in the early 1990's, Union Oil had all these pretty commercials on TV that promoted their business policy of buying up old cars and paying cash out to the owners.
    Oh, it looked real good too (always the first sign that you are being duped), but what they didn't tell you was that they were not interested in cleaning up the air quality. They wanted to buy the old car so that they could use the emission equivalant in pollution statistics that that car would have produced to add to the total amount of pollutants that they were allowed to give off in their refinerys.
    So, they wanted to buy a car from you that probably wasn't being driven anyways (therefore, not polluting) and use the presumed emissions rated for that vehicle to add to the pollution indexes that they were being allowed.
    Another big joke. And a rip-off under the cloak of "green".

So, this bill is beyond dumb, but if it passes then owners will be able to sell off anything that they want that is considered "junk".
    No, I don't think that someone is going to sell a 1941 Willys for $300 to the feds, but some people are just plain stupid and don't know what they've got.
    You read about these folks everyday in the newspaper...

27. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

cali's been paying 500 bucks for anything you can drive into the yard for a while, they just suspended it because of lack of funds, a lot of cars clubs were very upset, people bring in good runing clean sheet metal to "clean up" the air, I have a of car friends on my home forum that are out in cali, and they have been telling me about this for years. It was the guv'ners idea.

28. 067chevy

067chevy

Hopefully enough to do something about it.

29. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

there can never be to many of them,this is important stuff that affect every one of us.

30. Rossodino34

Rossodino34

What concerns me about any government gimmick program is that it is rarely thought through and the unintended results are never addressed without great pain to us. The market place is the strongest most accurate force available. Playing with it results in the economic mess we are in now. Kind of like mother nature.