Register now to get rid of these ads!

Carb fire..........bummer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Arizona Geezer, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Truckedup

Truckedup

Yeah that sucks,hopefully you can get it repaired.
    It's easy to say the the fire happend becuase of this or that mistake,but shit does happen and even what looks like a good steel fuel line can break.
    Don't some guys use an under hood fire supression system just in case?

2. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Bill, you can send me the photos and I will post them on this thread for you

[email protected]

Just curious which insurance company you have for the car?

3. Arizona Geezer

Arizona Geezer

Denise, I'll have my wife send them to you. Amazing how we can always count on you! Thanks.
    My insurance is with JC Taylor. So far, so good.

4. Make sure your insurance company gives you at least a salvage title... Allstate has been filing certificates of destruction with the state so you can never, ever register the car again... be careful!!!

5. Arizona Geezer

Arizona Geezer

Denise...........they've been sent. Look for e-mail from Coachwivel

6. So sorry to hear of the mis-fortune. You have the right attitude. I have had to redo my Malibu 3 times mostly becuase to stupid people. Everytime I got to start it after it sits for a period of time I fear that backfire through the carb.

Hopefully, you can get it back together and enjoy it.

7. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

8. Arizona Geezer

Arizona Geezer

Thanks, Denise! Well, the body shop guy's first comment was "that ain't so bad", and I asked him if they had opened the hood or a door yet. We'll see.

9. vik morgan

vik morgan
    from Houston

In my twisted mind I was just thinking how I would love to see some pics of that.

10. CruZer

CruZer

I had one of those cheap glass fuel filters leak and blow gas right into the back of my alternator once.That engine went up soooo fast !!!!

11. Arizona Geezer

Arizona Geezer

They just called to tell me the firewall is warped and needs replaced.

12. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Car fires suck. Had a Caddy limo burn in my driveway, looked just like on the inside that except on drivers side, and yea the smell is like no other, and its bad.

Got up one morning to get in it and there it was. Fire started under the dash and cause I had all the windows up it burn all the air and died out.

As bad as it looks it's fixable.

13. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

14. Django

Django
    from Chicago

that sucks man. Glad you saved it.

My Dad's '67 convt popped a rubber fuel line last year and caught fire. Luckily he only had to replace a few wires! Scary!

15. Arizona Geezer

Arizona Geezer

UPDATE!

Good News! The estimate was faxed to the insurance adjuster today, he approved it and a check will be sent to the body shop today! I'll be back on the road soon!

16. Ontario55

Ontario55

Congratulations on the good news
    Share some pics with us when its completed
    Ontario55

17. 1lowtoy

1lowtoy
    BANNED

Be nice if insurance would allow you to buy the vintage parts and restore it. I dont think you should have a body shop cut your fire wall out. Always end up doing a F'ed up job.

18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Congrats! Having to wait for that news is heart wrenching! Can't wait for your "she's back on the road" thread.

19. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

If you didn't ask, I would suggest you do.

Warped to the extent it's no good? Or just cosmetic?

20. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

such a great looking car, sorry for your loss, hope you get it back soon.

21. titus

titus

fires are a bummer, I helped a buddy do a major fix up/rebuild on a nice rust free 67 el camino, new rebuilt 350, 4speed, demon carb, new everything, red car black bucket seat interior.

A fuel line vibrated and cracked (as far as we can tell) and the car had a big melt down, while we watched it slowly burn from the curb the hood paint looked like a gian jiffy pop popcorn popper, luckily it was cold and had the windows up and the car was a non-ac car, the fire mainly stayed to the engine compartment, and very slightly damaged the paint on the fron fenders, but nothing very serious, we had the car towed home, and went about rebuilding it again, this time it got a new paint job and all new interior, it was reallly nice. it did get hot enough where it melted the cheopo carpet back about 12 inches, and some of the heater ducts were melted really bad, and warped the living shit out of the firewall we had welded all the holes shut and smoothed over.

it sure was hard to watch all that hard work go up in smoke.

anyone need a custom demon 2bbl carb!!

jeff

22. Arizona Geezer

Arizona Geezer

29 Nash..........they think they can hammer and dolly it once the engine, hood, windshield and dash are out. If not, afriend has a parts car and he said come take it, romove what you need and return the rest. Friends have made this easier to take.

Jeff.........I know, the time from when I heard the siren until the firemen were putting out the fire was the longest 5 minutes of my life.......and I could just see things melting and burning helplessly.

The good news..........the underhood detailing I was gonna do this winter will get done for sure now.

23. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, that sucks. I bet you have an adequate extinguisher in it when its finished this time!!
    Doc.

24. HotRod33

HotRod33

Wow what a bummer.....what insurance company do you have ? if everything goes well maybe a few of us should use them......Did you have it insured for a stated value and have an apprasial to back it up?...Good luck,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

25. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

Didn't see this post weeks ago but............

IF '67 Chevelle has the same hood, inner fender, front fender etc...., I have parts that you or your body shop may be interested in.

All parts are in excellent original condition. The original '67 Chevelle is now a tube car with a fiberglass front end. So many parts have been replaced that it is less a "67 Chevelle than it is a new car.

PM me if interested and I'll get you pictures of the parts that you may need.

Mark

26. vinehillbilly

vinehillbilly

WOW...An insurance company doing the right thing for once.

27. Arizona Geezer

Arizona Geezer

HR33..........the insurance is with JC Taylor. They were FANTASTIC! When I reported the fire to my agent on Dec 1, I had a call from an adjuster within one hour. I told him I had already talked to the shop that painted it for me 2 years ago, and they wanted to help put it back together again. They had it towed to that shop. The shop got the estimate finished and faxed it to the insurance company this morning. I had a call from the adjuster IMMEDIATELY! In fact, I was on the phone with him when the body shop called. They sent the check to the body shop today. I have stated value on the car, I had no appraisal. They didn't hassle about the value of the car.

Mark..........thanks.......but 67 parts are different than 66, as far as hood goes. The only sheetmetal parts we had to locate were the dash and hood. I do appreciate your offer. Another friend has a parts car and called to tell me come pick up his parts car, take what I need, and bring back the rest. That's what I love about this hobby.......the people in it!

P.S. Don't need any more beer, I've had enough for a while........and doin' ok on the hugs, too........thanks.

28. phukinartie

phukinartie

Good to see this is going well after your loss. No matter what DO NOT sign over the check untill the work is to YOUR satisfaction its always takes longer to re fix minor bugs after payment is made I learned this the hard way

29. Solidaxel

Solidaxel

WOW, that is good to hear about the insurance co doing the right thing.
    Bill I saw your car at the body shop the day you broght it in and the pics look much better than it did sitting in the yard.
    You will have the car back just the way you want it and you are right all of the engine detail will be complete. Look at it as another 66 Chevelle that you are restoring just like the other one.
    That was a good idea about opening up the engine to see if there was any damage to those aluminum heads.

Good Luck Bill, your car will be even better when you finish it this time.

30. Solidaxel

Solidaxel

Bill, any good news on your project !!