Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Christmas day barn find

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ratso575, Dec 27, 2008.

1. norms30a

norms30a

After he reads all the posts "ratso575" will not sleep tonight. Gonna be fun to see how this comes out. Good luck.

2. Forget about the cars for now and concentrate on the woman. Visit her and become her friend. Ask her about her husband. Get her talking. Bring her small gifts she might like. A cup of coffee. Tell her how much you and her husband are alike in your love of old cars and machines. He must have been a tinkerer etc. Then ease into how you would like to breath life into those old cars . This will establish you as a sincere person, which you are and you will in turn become concerned for her and what will become of her husbands cars? Entrusted to you will proably be the answer.

And don't tell anyone else about them or where you spend your free time until you have them for youself.
    Sound like a pipe dream?
    What a find . GOOD LUCK.

3. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Your first mistake was leaving!

4. "HOTROD"

"HOTROD"
    from Seattle

Hey, when I clicked on one of your pics, so I could steal a photo for my "Still Out There" inspirational folder, I noticed the name of the Photo was 32 ford bla,bla......
    You know that is not a 32, right?, its a 30, or 31.

That's a picture stait out of my childhood memories, the neighbor right across the street had a 30/31 Coupe sitting in his garage, all stock, complete, no rust, black, he wanted $1400 for it but I was stupid, about 12 (1970), had no money, and thought its not a 32, I dont want it, (still kicking myself over that)
    Now I like 30/31's as much or more than 32's, Just goes to show how your tastes can change.

With all that red on there, I'm thinking that was Grandpas Hotrod,
    I wonder what the drive train is?
    That interior in kinda SoCalesque,
    That's a great find! DON'T WAIT!
    Strike while the irons hot!

Good luck,

Dan

5. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

how much does helipcopter rescue cost? air lift them out....also much easier to get across the river mentioned.

seriously though, i wake up from this same dream about twice a month in a cold sweat, yelling at my pillow and thrashing wildly.

6. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

Lord have Mercy, Very Nice, I'd be back with $$ faster then Spring can come in!

7. Big Tony

Big Tony

Dang you must have been really good this year to have that dropped in your lap.

Breeder..your avatar is funnier than ever

8. Cool find, there's one in about as good a shape in a garage by my mom's house that hasn't seen the road since 1956 and much daylight since the early 70's. I'm working on the 63 year old owner, but he still thinks he's going to fix it up, right, it's been sitting for over 30 years. Anyway, go over and sweet talk the nice old lady out of the car!

9. Retro61

Retro61

Some people just have all the "FREAKIN'" luck!!!!

10. acefab

acefab

I was begining to think all the barn finds were gone. Hope you get the coupe!!!

11. Spooky

Spooky

Ya know, don't BS her. Be straight forward with her and let her know about your passion. Hell, this may be the key. If she thinks that you are like her passed on Hubby, she may be more leniant as to letting you be the collector of the hoarde.

Think of it this way, Fate smilin' at ya.

12. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

The hell with the gas and battery and waiting for Spring (SHE'S 90+++!!!). Show up tomorrow with cash and a BMF car trailer before she tells the kids on New Years about your barn tour!!! Go Man Go!

13. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Now, how come I don't get this lucky?

14. A 31 MO FO

A 31 MO FO
    from D/FW

It seem to happen when we least expect it. This my be something you will never forget either way it goes. I hope that you get the coupe, and take lot's of pic's.

15. turdchazer

turdchazer
    Member Emeritus
    from Spokane

I think I would put up a tent and live in front of that barn till you owned them!!!

16. jalopy junkie

jalopy junkie

When I was a teenager/in my 20's[now I'm 41] I tried to buy up everything I found like this,old cars,signs,gas pumps,coke machines,etc,etc...because I was convinced that this stuff was gonna be gone,rotted away,turned into rust/dust by the time I was 30....now I'm convinced that if I live to be 100 this kind of stuff will still pop up from time to time,I still chase it,but not with the feeling of urgency that I used to have

17. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

i agree with everyone that says to secure the car as soon as possible. i actually nearly had a sweet 2 door 49 ford, but the old lady thought about it during the two weeks it took me to get my shit together. when i went back, she had "reconsidered" -- she wouldn't even let me offer her more money for it (the original agreed upon price was $500)
    she said she would just hold on to it in case one of her grand kids wanted it some day.
    if i had just given her the cash that day and at least drug it out of her carport, it would have been a different story.

18. dadseh

dadseh

About 20 years ago..kids were young and we had no money ( sound familiar? )
    we went for the annual Xmas get-together at the in-laws place in Robinvale Vic.(thats out in the bush for you city folk)
    After dinner I went for a walk down the lane near the Murray river with the kids and there was a vacant 1940s house at the end of the street right on the river. House looked recently vacated and a rickety garage with a drive in lean-to shed on the side. we poked around and had a look in the shed... holy sheeeit!!! in there was a 41 Willys coupe.. I reckognised it from the semi square headlamps, completely stock , complete and under cover of tin roof. Me being from Canada I could see the value in this as a drag car, George Montgomery's A/Gas from the late 60s comes to mind.
    Being stupid and broke I headed home the next day..hoping that maybe soon......
    You guessed it... we went back the next year and its a vacant lot!
    I asked my inlaws what happened... oh, the house and land ? it got sold to some city folk about 3 months ago, for a holiday home to be built on it.
    F#$%&in bulldozed the lot , house , garage including car and lean-to shed....

I cried quietly!!!
    Being stupid and broke I headed home the next day.

19. ratso575

ratso575

mornin all !

most of you are right I didn`t sleep at all !
    kept having the same dream about driving down the back roads after gettin the coupe runnin :D

I am goin back next sunday , with cash in hand and a trailer ,,,oh and a box of chocolate ! ;)

as I looked inside of the coupe I could see the keys danglin in the ign. swith..... I opened the door , slid across the seat and turned the key to see if it would start....
    I got this strange feelin !

you know how a seat gets those previous owners butt grooves ?
    my ass fits perfect !!!

now I`m all jacked up again :rolleyes:

ratso

20. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I hope the daughter doesn't say "Mom, you can just sell Dad's old cars to some guy who shows up from out of town like that!". "Why we saw one of those cars on Barrett Jackson bring $65,000." Good luck. I hope you get them.

21. richie rebel

richie rebel

don't wait till next sunday,take a ride over there today,before she go's over to here daughters for new years .....richie....... p.s. take some cash with you

22. Wow, no wonder you haven't been answering your phone! Give me a holler if you need help moving that stuff; I have vacation time just itching to be used for a good cause. :)

23. 61TBird

61TBird

If the woman is in her 90's,her Daughter would at least be in her 70's.
    Hopefully she may not even remember the "old car in the barn"!

24. ehdubya

ehdubya

Semi square headlamps? 41 Willys? That sounds like a 32 A :D
    ...or a TJR 39 Plymouth which has a similar 3 window turret oft mistaken for Willys.

25. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I dont think it would be a good Idea to go on sunday,If she is a christian, she might not sell them to you any day if she sees you want to do buisness on a sunday.

26. 6tall

6tall

That was Christmas Day ? Man, you didn't happen to see three wise men and a virgin, did you ?

27. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

It blows my mind how people can come across a vehicle and not ask do you want to sell ? I never just fucking leave with out asking .How much for your car or truck ? You say your going up with a trailer .Hell you do not even know if she will sell .

28. 067chevy

067chevy

If you need some help before spring yoiu can always ask me.

29. I'll start burning my can of Aquanet hair spray to speed up this global warming, good luck man.

30. McDeuce

McDeuce

You hit the LOTO !