Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mopar 318 5.2 in '47 Dodge

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by speedyshark, Dec 19, 2008.

1. speedyshark

speedyshark

I did a search and turned up nothing. I was thinking of using a 318 out of a '98 dodge truck and rebuild it and the trani. then put it in my 47 dodge 5 window. Have a truck that has 250,000mils on it used for pulling pressure washer so it is tired and almost done. Thought if I can get good hp out of it, maybe use it in the car.I did think Hemi but do not want to chance to much suspension or mod car. thought V6 or SBC, however have access to this motor. Just a thought. Like I said anyone know how much HP I can get out of one of thees motors?

2. 41 C28

41 C28

There was a post a few days back about a 318 in a 48 Plymouth. Check it out.

I put a 318 in my 48 Dodge club coupe (5 window).

3. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Love the idea of the mopar swap. Not feeling the idea of a V6 swap, but the 318 or the SBC is cool. I've built mopars and chevs, they're both great mills. Anything fits in anything, the rest is up to you

4. Beetle

Beetle
    from Texas

Tex Smith has a book that shows putting a 318 in a 48 Plym coupe. I just put a 350 Olds in mine, but it is really tight. I had to redrill the steering gear holes to move the gear down one inch among other things.

5. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

Try searching "MOPAR V8 SWAP"...

In the mean time, here is some info you will need/want...

To swap a V8(either SBC/SBM) you need to offset the motor towards the pass side. You will need a special exhaust manifold for the drivers side. The SBM you need the one from a mid 60's to early 70's Valiant or equivelent with a 273/318. The SBC you can either use a front dump ramshorn or a later 305/350 manifold with the "dimple" between #5 & 7 cylinders. I believe these were available on 3rd gen F bodies. You DO NOT need to "swap frame clips" or go to a rack & pinion steering as some will suggest. By using the above mentioned exhaust manifolds, you gain adequate clearance around the steering box.

Since you are swapping out the I-6, you will definitely want to consider a rear axle swap. The 8 3/4 mopar rear seems to be a nice swap but others have used the Jeep Cherokee rear, Ranger/Exploder 8.8 and even 1st gen F body rears. The Jeep/Ford/Mopar rears are the way I would go, 1st off, they keep the same 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern and they are strong. Keep in mind when choosing a rear to pay attention to the offset of the rear. Some have said that the 8.8 rears, although readily available and cheap, are no good as they are offset to the pass side too much. I haven't gone this far yet so I can't offer any real world experience.

Frame mount kit for V8 swap can be found here...

Here are a few pics...

SBM with "special" 273 exhaust manifold...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SBC with 305/350 manifold...
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps!
    Joe

6. Southfork

Southfork

I wonder if this advice is just as applicable to engine swaps (SBM or SBC) into the mid-30s MOPARs ? I have a '37 Plymouth Sedan Delivery that I want to put a 360 Dodge engine in. I'm going to do a 318 or 360 swap into a 35 Dodge coupe down the road too. Same clearance issues as with an engine swap into the later 40s MOPARS? Anybody?

7. 4woody

4woody

Yup-
    Same issues with the SBC in my '38 Chrysler. I've got the enggine scooted over a little, got rid of the steering box, U-jointed the steering, and ran stock Chevy ram's horn exhaust. It all fits, just takes some wiggling around.

A Ford 8" from a late 70's Granada fits perfect and has no offset to contend with. The 8.8 from a Ranger also fit good, but the offset wouldn't work with my convertible frame's X-member. Might work with a standard frame though. It was that close.

Mid- 1960's Mopar A and B body 8 1/4 & 8 3/4 rears fit pretty well too.