Register now to get rid of these ads!

Unresolved Projects?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by supercharged_scottsman, Dec 19, 2008.

1. supercharged_scottsman

supercharged_scottsman
    from Galveston

As the end of 2008 rapidly approaches, I do the same thing I do this time of year, every year and reflect back on my accomplishments and regrettably my short comings for the past 12 months. And no matter how great my accomplishments may have been, I always concentrate on what I may have left undone, resolutions unfulfilled, and goals not met. And while most of this regret is self levied, the unresolved goals that receive the most criticism and unsolicited comments from others (mainly my own family!:rolleyes:) are my unfinished “projects”.

As I approach 2009, I am reminded of the uncompleted "Hienz-57" gasser truck project (only one year in the works) in my driveway, the stripped and permanently dry docked ’59 Chris Craft Sportsman (now 5 years in the works) collecting dust in my garage and the closet full of antique German mechanical clocks (I have lost count of how long they have been there!) I been meaning to restore, not to mention the garage full of parts for the gasser I have been collecting for the past five years, plus all my other “guy” junk. To the casual uninformed observer they all appear to be just “junk”. To me they are all great investments or incredible bargains that are just in an evolutionary stage. Like fine wines in the making…however I must admit sometimes some of them seem like they may have turned to vinegar (but I would swear in a court of law I never wrote that!:D).

So as we all near the end of 2008 what projects are you caretaking and slowly nursing in to fine wines (or vinegar) and how long have you been investing in them?

2. GT40 in bits awaiting new sill panels as soon as my aluminum welding is up to it.(3 years)
    1750cc Austin Mini awaiting brakes/revised airbox ( induction noise is near deafaning ) (ten years at least, but I have at least had it runing and driven it )
    850cc four cylinder trike project which just needs pin stripeing, bulbs fitted to the lights and fuel.( 1 year exactly )
    Hemi hot rod still sitting on bench awaiting sterring box, plus I need to scratch build a body.( two years coming up )
    Amphicar hull awaits more work ( I want to get the thing to plane by making a glass cathedral hull which will plane at fairly low speed ) ( only a few months ).
    There is a part finished Hemi trike under a sheet somewhere ( three years), along with a five pot Audi trike which is only just started.
    I will probably never finish all of it, some of it goes for years with little or no progress,
    but I figure that as long as at least one of them is nearer the end at the end of the year it's ok.

3. 61bone

61bone

61 pontiac Bonneville convertible 25 years, Visible V-8 40 years, couple 61 AMT Pontiac kits 45 years, 1860 sideboard 50 years but a lot of other water has flowed under the dam.

4. jleavesl

jleavesl
    from Houston

I've got three going. A 1972 Honda 500F that runs and drives (just needs a little brake work) (4 months).

1968 Yamaha YCS-1 (been sitting there for four or five years) that I need to graft another engine in.

1950 Plymouth that has taken me a great deal of time to get back on the road. Engine is running well, just needs paint, body, and floor. Hope to have it stripped and in primer by the new year.

John

5. aldixie

aldixie

64 MG Midget that I stripped 2 years ago expecting it to be a quick project. My 50 Chevy that I wanted to get on the road this year.

6. Paul

Paul
    Editor

to quote a well known and respected HAMBer "I have never finished anything in my life"

there is always room for refinement and improvement in all things,
    although the two things that stand out in my mind right now are;
    letting a thirty five year project go for lack of progress,
    and getting a four year project to a point where,
    although far from finished,
    I couldn't be happier with it.

7. Besides the 31 on 32 rails roadster which has turned into a long term project about the only thing I need to finish is restoration of an old Winchester 22 RF bolt action rifle.

And no . . . the honey-do list doesn't count....

8. 40streetrod

40streetrod
    from nj

you mean something like this?
    this is just one of the many that i have projects hanging around.

[​IMG]

9. i got everything done i wanted to do , put three cars on the road....and now just started another project

10. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

Damn it! Warn us if your gonna post a pic like that... I jsut spilled my coffee.:eek:That's one way to keep them 40 fenders off the ground.

11. supercharged_scottsman

supercharged_scottsman
    from Galveston

Boo - What a party pooper!;)
    Congratulations - really.

12. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

Let's see...

I have the 71 Suburban that's been stagnant for a few years but I keep telling myself THIS spring I will get it on the road. My daily driver Caprice wagon is getting a repaint, headers & dual exhaust, new trans & a disc brake posi rear this spring(I have everything, just need to pull car off the road for a few weeks). Looking at a 28/9 A Tudor for a traditional rod project.

Plus some other stuff ;)

13. yeah , when you have no life , no wife , no kids , no bills it's a lot easier to get things done. two were other's cars and were 1 and 2 year projects. the last was mine and was a VERY long 5-6 year project

14. milkweed

milkweed
    from SLC UT

well it seems like everything i own i give up on and sell i just let my 34 truck go that was a roller i have a t modified that i dont know if it will ever roll and my 37 terraplane that was suppose to go to speed week and still does noteven roll and that is only half of them

15. hotrodj54

hotrodj54

i got nothing done this year either. a 59 caddy project that has turned into a life long thing...a 54 ford that ive been meaning to finish for the past 10 years at this point and now a 56 olds that ive added to the pile of cars laying around. hopefully 2009 will be better

16. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Let it go man. Do the world a favor!

[​IMG]

17. Hey you're on the wrong post:D this is about real people not SUPERMAN comic book stuff:p

last year at this time I made my goal to work on one project at a time till finished. and now I no longer feel guilty about 5 stalled projects.

it's great to only feel guilty about one stalled project. I have made progress and am building headers for my 55 Cad 331 powered GMC shop truck (been 7 weeks since I've been able to touch it) I do have all the parts to finish it now. should go fast in 2009 (I think I said that in 2008 and 2007)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  18. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

What's the difference between an unresolved project and holding on to your dreams?

I think its a glass half full kind of thing.

I personally have enough "dreams" in my possession to last me 50+ years. :)

19. Mine is for sale. I'm planning on moving to a fixer-upper house and will have no time (and zero money) for fun car projects. I guess I'll have to put the dream of a fenderless hot rod on hold again. :-(

20. wannabebubba

wannabebubba
    from NC

Post some pics of the GT40.... would love to see them....
    I have an (OT HAMB) 66 Mustang that haunts me every time I go in the garage....
    What 36-3window said is true..... I can only get things done when the wife is not around...... and she is always around......
    Typical gearhead, I spend more time looking for new projects while 1 sits unfinished in the garage.

21. Scrap Heap

Scrap Heap

Not running as of yet but I still coast it down the driveway once every other month or so.

Attached Files:

22. '46 Ford that should be driveable (but nowhere near finished) by the end of the year (12 years)
    '76 CB750 - has been sitting idle for a year, needs front caliper and points and the new rear wheel and tire bolted on.
    '73 Rinkerbilt 18. Needs entire interior and title work (2 years)
    College education - Finished A.A. Dec. 06, go back Aug '09 to get B.A. (25 years)