Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engine cleaning, is there a cheaper way????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BBobb, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

Here you go Don. I guess we were both right. From the MSDS sheet.
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=620 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=headertext vAlign=top align=right width=160>Chemical Name:</TD><TD class=bodytext vAlign=top width=430>Sodium hydroxide</TD></TR><TR><TD class=headertext vAlign=top align=right width=160>CAS Registry Number:</TD><TD class=bodytext vAlign=top width=430>001310-73-2</TD></TR><TR><TD class=headertext vAlign=top align=right width=160>Synonyms:</TD><TD class=bodytext vAlign=top width=430>Caustic soda; Soda lye; Ascarite; Sodium Hydroxide [USAN]; Sodium hydroxide (Na(OH))
    </TD></TR><TR><TD class=h3 align=left colSpan=2>
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I should have called it caustic soda. My bad.

2. willys33

willys33
    from New Mexico

Get the heavy stuff off with the heavy cleaners. They will leave a residue that paint won't stick to so as a final step use your wife's 'SHOUT'. It is designed to cut greese (not inch thick stuff) and not attack rubber etc. and does not leave a residue. Been using it for years to clean my engine when I detail the street rod.

3. A buddy of mine has a kerosene-fired REALLY high pressure washer at his trucking company. I have used a number of the methods above, but nothing has compared to it for speed and ease...

When I pulled my engine from the donor car, I pulled the carb and accessories annd made sure it was sealed up. Didn't put any chemicals on it. Heated the temp up near 200º F and went after it. Literally vaporized 35 years of gunk, and the water evaporated almost instantly from the engine, leaving a very clean and dry surface to paint.

Long story short, make friends with someone with a heated pressure washer.

4. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

i hope you wear rubber gloves and a mask ..m e k will kill you it is no longer allowed on construction sites.. Osha rules

5. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

cant believe no ones mentioned brake cleaner! thats what i use! it takes paint and all off! it takes a few cans but works great! i do whoever, take all the big gunk off first and scrape the heck out of it! but brake cleaner works great to finish.. and if you are in a closed shop, itll make you dizzy, sick to your tummy, and give ya a great headache.....perks!!!!! :eek::D:p

6. You guys are killing me LOL HAH--HAH---###############--- >>>>.

7. JLasvegas

JLasvegas
    from Skin city

we used Simple green in the Military and it works very well, spray on and let it sit.
    the best part is how much cooler the engine will run when you take off an inch of crap from around it

8. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

I think AIRCRAFT REMOVER is the bomb for cleaning parts....

9. geemann51

geemann51

Yep and they sell it at the .99 store too.

10. mottsrods

mottsrods

Bob,

I'm gonna be starting a Tech thread on making your own heated Vat parts washer. You my wanna wait a few days before you start. It can be made for less than $150 including the chemicals.

Mott

11. art.resi

art.resi

NAOH will also react violently with aluminum and mixing with hot
    water makes it react quicker. They used it to boil out engines before
    the jet cleaner came along and it took bearings and all as it worked.

12. TraderJack

TraderJack

Before you even start take it down to a place that has a high pressure steam cleaner and have them cleanout the engine compartment and the front end.

Big thing to remember , in California, is to not let any stuff run down the gutters as there is big financial costs if you are caught!

Which is why, in California , take it to the machine shop for cleaning!

traderjack

13. EL Diablo Blanco

EL Diablo Blanco

I use easy off oven cleaner the lemon kind

14. EL Diablo Blanco

EL Diablo Blanco

or hire Chili dog for a case of nanny lite... he do anything for that stuff...