Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures "HOT ROD" the movie..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tony, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Tony

Tony

Ok, so many of us have seen this flick..not the best quality, and about as far fetched as can be when it come's to a fella getting a FREE Willys and blower..
    BUT, i still love it.
    Last night i decided to break out the DVD and watch it again, for the millionth time.
    A fellow HAMBer burned this for me a couple years back..And unfortunately, i can't remember who it was, but wanted to say THANKS again for hooking me up!! Hopefully he will read this :)
    I think i've also decided that i WILL build a clone of that car!
    Not so much the low stance one he was racing at the end of the movie, but the one with the nose high stance and chrome axle..
    Rough around the edges, black steelies up front and those "coke bottle" rollers out back...and something with a blower under the hood..
    Yep, some day i'm going to do it..
    Until then, i need to figure out how the hell i'm going to find a shell i can afford...The rest is easy..i have a GMC 6-71 here now so i guess that's a start :D:D
    Might have to find someone who own's a body that wants a tin 32 5 window body in trade...hehehe
    I know the orange Olds still live's, and the owner is a HAMBer...and that he's also building the Willys too..looking forward to seeing that one finished..
    Anyway, sorry for the rambling..
    Just wanted to thank whoever it was that was kind enough to burn and send this to me...:)
    Thanks!

Carry on.
    Tony

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  2. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

hope you continue with your ambition. if you watch ebay, you have seen the value of all steel bodies. Wow! A roller did $77k and change and didn't meet reserve. I am glad I bought mine when I did...and it came from a fellow HAMBer. Yup, I'm the guy with the Olds and the project Willys. We are easily on schedule to have the Willys done by early summer. Search my started threads and you will find the story about my corn fed elephant. Keep us posted. Remember, it's your garage against the world.

3. Tony

Tony

Haha..nice quote :)

Oh i know the prices of them are NUTS!
    A friend and i built a glass body one a number of years back..not a bad car, and i know i might have to go that route which dosn't really bother me...
    But, that's a last resort. when the time is right i'll start looking for a rough shell, or scraps of one..tin work dosn't scare me :D
    I have a few other projects to tackle before i can even consider starting something like this..but i did put it on the "things to do" list..

I'll keep up to date on your for sure!

Tony

4. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Hit up Jim Sibley cause he seems to fall into them.....

I'm kicking myself over that blower but life is kicking me harder..

Hint: Theres one off Lake Ave and its not Steve's..

5. Tony

Tony

Yeah, he does seem to turn 'em up dosn't he...I'm not ready to make a move for one just yet..but......................

As i thought about building one of these..i remembered i even have a 57 Pontiac rear end here somewhere...another piece to use in a car i don't own..haha

Trust me, i know..That X1 has crossed my mind too..
    BUT, they're in good hands and not far from home so no worries :)

You'll have to fill me in on the one on Lake next time we talk, not that i can buy one but it's good beer talk......Next sat at the Dino..i'll talk to you this week if Mike hasn't mentioned it yet..

6. Glad you enjoyed the DVD. Keep us posted when you start this project, I love the old Willys drag coupes.

7. One of my alltime favorite movies too....I kind of used the willys in the movie for a basis for my car. Yes, it is glass, but most people are fooled. I especially like the part in the movie when they steal the Chrysler Hemi out of the AMC police car, hense, my car is amc powered. I would say build it out of glass and run the shit out of it. If you have to have steal, look into using a mid thirties Olds 3 window, very similiar, with some cutting and forming, can be made to look just like a willys! Have fun, and hopefully we can line up some time!

8. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I sold an all steel car to a guy from Hilton, NY. It had a prostreet style chassis and that was my reason for selling it. Too nice to cut it apart. Willys Unlimited chassis. Last I knew, the guy was out of dough and wanted to sell the car. PM me if you desire info.

9. Tony

Tony

Hey Don...
    Funny you chimed in. Last night Big Chief (Mike) and i were talking about the movie and what i wanted to do..I had stated how the car had the perfect look to it, and referenced the stance, rear tire etc..and Mike mentioned the Rebel Reaper..We both agreed that was exactly what i was talking about!!
    Now, i stood right next to your car and didn't even notice it was glass myself. Just lost in how good it looked and what a nice job you did on it.
    I built a glass 32 3 window about 10 years back and enjoyed the hell out of it..that's why it wouldn't really bother me to build one.
    When i was behind the wheel, it didn't matter what it was made from..I just had fun with it.
    The one we built a few years ago was from A&C i believe it was called, out of Buffalo NY.
    Overall it wasn't a bad body..A lot nicer than my old 3 window was not needing too much work for fitment etc..and they are only an hour or so away from me..
    If i build it, i'd love the chance to line up..Probably lose, but who cares..It would be one HELL of a photo op! I love your car! :)
    I laughed at the AMC-HEMI too..Not only that, but how about a dual quad HEMI with finned valve covers in a cop car?!? and the switched 2nd/reverse in the second car..
    Too funny..

Richard D..THANKS man..I sure do enjoy it! Sorry i couldn't remember who sent it to me..My mind is mush. :)

Bobwop..i'll get in touch with you..Hilton is about 15 minutes from me. I doubt i'll be able to afford it but it might be worth a call.
    THANKS.

Tony

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  10. Gigantor

Gigantor

If memory serves, there's a lady HAMBer on here who lives near me here in Maine. I have yet to go out to her place for a vist, but she and her husband have a magnificent Willy's coupe they drag race with. She calimed to have another coupe that she was willing to sell. It sounded VERY rough and I think she was asking a VERY reasonable $30K for it!

11. Tony

Tony

That IS a fair price from what i've seen..Problem is i'm a poor boy with rich man dreams so even a fair price is more than what i can afford.
    I'll have to piece something together over time like i have with my 32 5 window..7 years and just under 12K and i finally have everything i need to build it..
    Just took some time and a LOT of luck..:D..

Thats why the last resort is glass..I'd rather drive one in glass than not have one at all..no fun being a hard head and sitting on the porch when you don't have to. haha

12. boogeracng

boogeracng
    from Eureka,MO

Yes, steel is real, but who can afford it. These things are NUTS to buy and then to build.....and then, all it takes is one "aw shit" and you now have a very expensive piece of wadded up sheet metal. My new race car is a 'glass piece, and from the grand stands, you'll never know.

When you are ready to look/pull the pin, contact John Shelton at American Gasser. His shop is about 25 miles east of Norwalk. Nice thing about his cars is that they look like a steel car....no hidden hinges, exposed door handles, the correct shape and curves to look the part of an old gasser. And, John and his partner Steve are real gentlemen to deal with. Tell him Chuck from Geezergassers sent you.

13. -DMC-

-DMC-
    from Ohio

14. -DMC-

-DMC-
    from Ohio

Yeah, the bodies, and his frames are super nice. Nice rearends and axles up front as well. I live right down the road from him. I stop in there every few weeks to bs, and look at the willys. You mustve snagged one from him huh? I can get more info if anyone is interested...small world sometimes...

This movie Hot Rod`79, is aka The Rebel Of The Road...The movies was actually made for tv ABC. This is my favorite car movie besides Two lane Blacktop. I always wanted a 41 Willys, even if i have to push it and pop clutch to start it... But I have settled for a `55 for now. A steel Willys is pretty rare to find, especially for sale. You could get lucky and find a shell maybe. But the glass ones are what many people are using anymore...
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  15. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

chuck, you guys are my heroes. Love what the Geesergassers are up to. Saw a few of you at GLD over Labor Day and a bunch of you at Beech Bend for GG. I run with the Midwest Gassers, but we are just wannabes compared to you guys.

16. When did 'glass Willys bodies first come along?

17. boogeracng

boogeracng
    from Eureka,MO

Bobwop....an admitted membership to "the dark side", eh? Yea, the Geezers are the "real deal" according to Goodguys and NHRA. Guess that's why they continue to include us in their programs. Traditional look, no electronics, all gasoline.....good times. Contact me for membership when you finish the new car.

As to the movie.....before my current ride was painted, it was gray primer. If I had a dime for every time I was asked about it being the movie car, I could have retired a lot sooner. Point in fact, I think if memory is correct, there were 3 cars used in that movie production. Steve Castelli (Hot Rod Willys out of California) runs one of them (though not as a traditional look gasser) and I think at one time Bill Mullins from the steering box operation had one. I thought I heard the third one was destroyed.

What is so interesting about that movie, is the cult like following it has for gearheads, and the sheer number of people who refer to it, know of it, and some of whom can recite lines from it.

18. Tony, thanks for the kind words....I can't begin to tell you how much fun it is....If I had the cash to have a steal one, I probably wouldn't have nearly the fun. Yes, the geezer gassers are the real deal, as are the East Coast Gassers, Nostalgia Notions, and so on....But, it sure would be nice if ALL gassers could run each other at the events. Nothing like watching a bunch of cool cars running down the track and not being able to run against them. I do this for the fun, and the car next to you at the starting line makes it all the better for the participants and the spectators...All gassers should unit! K, now its time for me to get off my soap box....

19. Harms Way

Harms Way

You guy's shouldn't be such cheap skates !,... Just buy a new one !,...

There only $495.00 :D

[​IMG]

20. I sure would like to hear from anyone who has a copy of that DVD....My e-mail is in my Profile. Thanks Boys! Great Movie......Centurion9

21. abone1930

abone1930

I am still lookin for one in a barn :D
    Awesome movie.

22. 56gasser

56gasser
    from lower al.

Hey Don at least you have organizations to run with! Down south we don't have shit! The only real type nostalgia races we have are done on the street. I would love to see a united event. By the way I loved your car at BG, it was a real hot rod!!

Clyde

23. How much we running for Brian? $100.00 a gear! I love that line.

24. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

I get chills looking at that 40 Willys Coupe in the show room. Boy if you could only go back in time! Anybody have anymore pictures of 37 to 42 Willys new?

25. Tony

Tony

Guy's, THANKS a LOT for the info!!
    Boogeracng..Thanks for the advice AND for giving me your name as reference. I appreciate that..
    The movie was a goofy kind of flick that only real car guy's would love..Let's face it, the average person would have no clue of the thing's we all see "wrong" for lack of a better word, and most would probably turn it off because it is so cheesy..
    I wore out my old VHS tape of it years ago :D

From what i've been told by a good friend, and local hot rod guru, i guess there's a group of gasser guy's that are planning to run at two relatively local track's this year, twice a month. One at each place.
    I have a few friends that will be a part of this..should be fun to see. I know Lancaster out this way has a nostalgia meet every year and it IS the best i've been to bar none when it come's to gassers and old style race cars......
    There's also a Willy's round up or something like that at the same time which brings a shit load of them here..It's about enough to give someone a heart attack! Just unreal!

Time will tell for me. As i said, i can't make a real move just yet. But i do feel i will make the move within the next few years..More than likely glass due to cost's like what been mentioned, and like i said it really dosn't matter when it comes right down to it. I've been down that road before with my old 3 window and still have NO regret's about doing it..regardless of what anyone thought..
    But, first i need to build my Deuce..:D

Thanks again guy's..
    I appreciate the info, and just reading your posts about these things.
    Tony

26. Tony

Tony

How about this answer to whats under the hood..
    "Black and Decker aquarium pump"

I think that line is hysterical!

27. Tony

Tony

Thats Cool!
    She's f*%king hot too! another reason i liked the flick..haha
    I'd let her drive my car anytime she wanted! :D

I got a kick outta the night racing shot's when they showed the car's launching on the street..The Willy's looked bad ass with the smoke rolling out of the fenders and seeing the weight transfer...very cool..

28. racerodcustom

racerodcustom
    Member Emeritus

I saw that movie when I was eight and instantly wanted a willys/gasser. Still have the movie, barely viewable vhs copy, and 25 years later have a 48 chevy that's as close to a steel willys as I'll ever get. Has a shortened chrysler rear with the biggest slicks I've ever carried myself. I really need a copy of that dvd!