Register now to get rid of these ads!

331 Hemi heads ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cross Rodder, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Cross Rodder

Cross Rodder

Will 1953 and early 1954 Extended block intakes and headers fit late 331 hemi heads? I know the valves and ports got larger on the latter, but did the bolt pattern and port locations stay the same? If they are the same I would think that the intake could be an issue going from larger intake into smaller head ports. My coupe build is on a budget and I was hoping I could change the heads latter when more cash is free.

Thanks in advance!

CR

2. George

George

The 51-3 ex ports are round & the 54 & up ex ports are oval, the 51-3 manifold looks smaller, so I doubt they interchange. The intake will bolt on, probably work if you don't mind the 2 bl.

3. 73RR

73RR

You are dealing with three distinct engines; 51-53, 54, and 55. Like George said, the exhaust is different between 53 and 54, and although the intake ports are vastly different the manifolds will swap. The 55 exhaust is the same as 54 but the intake is, again, different in that the 51-54 incorporates the t-stat and the 55 does not. If you put a 55 intake on an earlier engine you have no stat...hhmmmmmm
    The stock 2-bbl intake is not very sexy but it is easy to put a newer 2-bbl on it and, in terms of air flow, be very adequate. Look for something from a 70's or 80's 360 or 400.

4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I know there is a differance in the water inlets to the heads between early blocks and '55 and up. Not sure how that works having run only 354 heads for a long time

5. Cross Rodder

Cross Rodder

Thanks a bunch guys for helping me out.

I know the 53 Ex. ports are smaller than 54 but if I buy headers for a 54 will they mate to my current 53's are the bolt paterns the same? That way if I update to 54 heads later the headers would still work.

On the intake I was hoping to pick up a 4x2 log manifold and run 4 stromerg 97's. I guess my question is simular to the Ex. question. If I buy one to fit 54 will the bolt patern and flanges mate my current 53?

Just a little side note: Im trying to build a very period correct hot rod (mid 50's) so anything later would not cut the mustard.

6. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

As I remember on the early heads the water cross over was between the first and second intake ports. On the later, better heads the water came out the front of the heads to a seperat crossover. The bolt holes are, I think, the same. You will need to do something for your upper water hose. No biggie.

7. hemicoupe32

hemicoupe32

The intake will work fine. You can gasket match the ports. The bolt pattern is the same. 555 heads are the best breathing, but they all work very well on a mild street motor. You have 2 choise's on water. You can drill the front of the heads and use the later crossover. It's been done many times. Also you can dril the intake runner at water port and install AN fittings and hook to a remote crossover. Hot Heads has them. Have fun

8. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

As I rembered it - conventional wisdom says that the "triple nickle" heads aren't the best breathing - they have the most breathing POTENTIAL. 392 heads have bigger intake valves - STOCK -than the 331 heads have. The 331's have a STRAIGHTER path at the piston - easy enough to add the bigger valves, but it DOES require some time and or money.

9. George

George

Regroup for a moment. The 51-3 intake ports are smaller, so using 354 heads a smaller port is going into a bigger port on the head. The aftermark Cragar intakes are tapped for remote thermostat, & Edmunds have a thermostat. If you are putting 354 heads on an ext bell block you can use block off plates to seal the front openings & use a wet intake 51-4 2 bl or '54 4 bl (or tap a dry one), or use a dry intake & a 392 crossover on the front of the heads.