Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rhode Island junk yard getting crushed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vorhese, Dec 5, 2008.

1. OL'Skool29:

I'm in, live about 10 minutes away...going to take a reconnoiter sunday

2. alsancle

alsancle

It's funny you mention the REO Royales. They shared their master cylinder with the Duesenberg Model J. I have a clear memory as a 8 or 9 year old with my Dad pulling the master cylinders out of the 2 or 3 Royales that Bill had out in the yard.

3. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

I spent 3 months in A yard in Terryville Conn last winter and grabed everything I could. They crush it out this June so now it's all gone................... It was called Tobey Mountain. Jared

4. Guitar Guy

Guitar Guy

thats a freking shame to have to crush all those cars. the state should just butt out

5. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

what was the the guys name that had a big junk yard on division rd ?? i left ri in 1990 and he was still open...old guy.. dave

my dad remembered ...greasy joe was his name...now that guy had some ol tin.....dave

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  6. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

shit. i know where this place is. my best friend lives on weaver hill road....wow.

7. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Wow talk about horrible timing...isn't metal now a tenth of what it was a few months ago, if you can unload it?!?

Yeah its a shame, but the old man would just let these cars turn into rust if he didn't have to crush them, and looks like he's got a pretty good start on that already!

Looks like a few diamonds surrounded by lots and lots of coal.

The old man really did manage to take it with him.

8. rg171352

rg171352
    from New York

Kentuckian
    By me we lost a decent amount of cars in a similiar way. Owners got the yard subdivided. Sold it. New owners crushed it out. Now it's for sale. No cars, no houses. Just empty land.

Last time I got to go to this junkyard in the late 90's it had wrecked 50's -60's vettes, 55-57 thunderbirds, a couple lasalles, lots of good stuff all around.

Everyone in the county knew the yard, but very few had a chance to buy anything before it got cleaned out. I got a call the day it was getting crushed out and rushed home from college hoping to get to walk through one last time....

9. 31whitey

31whitey

seriously...If you have ever been through a REAL BIG East coast yard.

You would realize real quick, that place is a REAL FUCKIN BIG yard.

I mean theres probabally places in that yard that have not been seen in years...

Some of that stuff hasnt been seen beside the pack of dirt bikers, or group of hunters, maybe some pot growers.... besides that owner....in friggn a long time.

That is a scary big yard....

I know two outside of PITTSBURGH, one across the border in OHIO, and two in WEST VIRGINIA....that are almost unbelievable... serious acres....and NONE have any old iron....that place is really something if they have old stuff....

10. Jimv

Jimv

one thing i should mention.If Jr was a "standup guy" he should have a "sale" sell whatever anyone can grab for dirt cheap then crush whats left!!
    You can't believe the magnatude of this place till you walked thru it.When was the last time you saw a pretty decant 58 T-bird in a junkyard?? hes got about 5 or 6 in one spot!!A van with 2 409s & a 348 in the back, but he wants like 5 grand for the engines with the van!! Its a POS & the engines are apart!!
    All in all he doesn't have much form the 30's but ALOT of 40's up.
    Also he looks old but i don't think hes much older then early 60's.
    i would love to see him have a "black friday" discount sale for a month of 2
    last time i was here ya had to walk by a 57 rancho 7 a 57 chevy with a nailhead in it to get to the "goodstuff"!!lol
    Jimv

11. Jimv

Jimv

hes still there, but he doesn't have too much good shit, not a bad guy.They closed down the "dunes' they was between division &95
    jimV

12. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

Olskool= hope you have 4 wheel drive. From what i hear its a hard place to get into deep ruts up hill and mud.

13. Gaters

Gaters

Boy you got that right. Same thing happens to race track. They get pushed out by new developments that end up complaining about the noise.

You gotta wonder what'll happen to all these cars. There's miles of em!

14. vdubjim

vdubjim
    from OKC

Sounds typical of the same stuff out this way. The reason these guys have the stuff is they and their prices are crazy.
    i once went to a vw junkyard that was CLOSED for 3 years, and was tlaking to the owner about buying some stuff. made some offers on a few cars, he said 'if they aint worth that to you they aint worth that to anyone, id rather crush them' sadly that he did. good luck on getting your 50.00 a car for scrap LOL

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The big rub is that he will probably let it get crushed because he can't get "his" price on stuff. From the Seeing the Mustang photos it looks like it would take a Mustang specialty yard owner months to just pull the Usable Mustang stuff. I'm not one of the Mustang fanatics but just use that as an example.
    Hell, if he Had a sale where any car in the yard was 200.00 you load it and haul it yourself he would probably have a lines of trucks and trailers five miles long waiting at the gate. And pocket far more cash than crusher prices.

16. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

With R.I. needing money as bad as it does you'd think they might auction it off and not crush it all !from what I'm told by some R.I. co workers the state is in a world of hurt right now

17. James66g

James66g

Its wierd but yea man this stuff is all over around all kinds of corners I found a spot like this when I was nailin a brides maid back east in stuyvesant NY but nothing there older then 64 that i could see hudsons packards mercs and cads but all rusted to shit no one knew who owned the land and of coarse i was in a tux and climbing fences. Over here in the west I found a guy that has acres of edsels similar situation old coot wont sell not one part but will sell the whole thing for a million smackers he even has a garage of nos parts all edsel stuff crazy but love driven past.

18. What is that saying? Misery loves company? :rolleyes:

19. budd

budd

is there anyone near there who could go talk to this guy, as we get older we change how we look at the world, i know a couple old guys who in the last few years are figureing out there time on earth is comeing to a close, and there not going to get to finish all the projects they had planed to do, this guy will figure this out at some point and this might be just the time.

20. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Have any of you guys thought that he might be going to fix up those old cars someday? Seriously, I've dealt with guys like this before. They don't live in a world that we're familiar with. Over the years they have isolated and insulated themselves from reality. How else do you think they could remember driving a 1940 something out into a woods in the 1950's and remember the name of the guy he bought it from. Best to leave them alone and tell the stories about them during a BS session.

Frank

21. Very good point Frank. I have met some that if you asked them for a part they could tell you the exact place to look for said car without looking anything up and it was "parked" there 30 years before.

22. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Thats saying that if the state steals this guys stuff (As far as I'm concerned that's all it would be) they will crush it all then piss and moan how much it cost us(the tax payer)to clear up the land then like some other said already they will declair it a Super Fund site. this old guy had to have this place going since way before zoning and everything else.we are looking at Heaven the states looking at Hell and the old dude gets a screwing either way

23. As do the tax payers, the auto enthusiasts and the salvage yard lovers.

24. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Agreed 100%! we loose (the car community) If the state just scraps everything the tax payer looses and as much as I hate to say it the old guy looses his right to do as he wants with his own property.I don't want to see any of this stuff just hauled off but I sure don't like government telling anyone what to do with their personal property

25. [quote}Here's the kicker. After all the cars were gone, she tried to get the land developed for a subdivision. The EPA came in and condemned the land. They said the topsoil would have to be scraped something like 10 feet down over the entire property. Today the land is still sitting bare while new houses are being built all around it.[/quote]
    That's horse shit! Some of my best chili has come out of an old oil pan I converted into a cooker...

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  26. A salvage here in SW mo had lots of good stuff. 40's stuff on up, cars stacked up 3 high, school buses you could roam and find anything from boxes of new bearings to old spotlights and all on your free will with your tools in hand and your truck pulled up right next to your find. Cool old guy, very friendly. You could fill your truck bed and he would peer over the side and give you a pkg. deal. Awesome. I once priced a good early 60's t-bird good console and low back bucket seats for informational purposes and he says "oh, fifty and you pull 'em." Sadly, he developed a health problem and quickly sold off and crushed. Regardless, I know a lot of cars were bought and saved.

27. Jimv

Jimv

Theres no way hes going to fix up shit, it was a "bootleg" junkyard for about 50 yrs, his father ran it & now its a eyesore in the best woods in RI, ya gotta know this guy, he ain't dealing with anyone he doesn't want to deal with!!He got a shitload of cars right off exit 6A on 95 that are "his"!! They've been sitting there for 30 fuckin yrs!!
    To us any old car is a thing of beauty, to 99% of the people it isn't!! Sorry to say but thats the truth. To tell ya the truth i don't give a shit if i never see another golf course in my life, but there going up eveywhere.people do want them, what can ya do, move to another planet after we fuck this one up??lol
    about 75% of the stuff up there is really junk, was junk 25 yrs ago & will never be anything but junk.But it would be good to go up &pull off old SS mouldings & trim to sell on E Gay.
    JimV

28. BUICKS38

BUICKS38

Thats the way it was at Bill's junk yard. That man could tell you where any car was in his yard. he would know if that part was still on the car to. There was a lot of old stuff there. But who ever took it over did not want any part of the old stuff. I thought i heard he sold all the old stuff to some one in Pa.

29. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

SO TRUE . but this guy is nuts, I heard when this guy lost an eye while working in his yard, he refused to go to the hospital and have it look at. I also heard of body being buried in the yard and then junk cars were place over them so no one could find them. BOO! lol Jared

30. astonman

astonman

I am planning on trying to go sometime within the next two weeks to get a restoration car project. I would like either a 66-69 mustang preferably a boss or mach 1 or a 70 challenger /cuda. Is there anyone here that has experience with this yard know if there is anything worth while like this back there. Or has anyone bought a full car from him? What are his prices like, From what I hear there steep but Im just curous. from what ive seen in the Pictures I would pay nothing more the $1000 For a full car and thats a stretch, a real stretch.

So do you think that it would be insane to try and rescue a car from this dude, or worth my while. I dont live too far away so I might go to just see this place and report my findings.

thanks