Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help with 1941 Ford Sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PBR1844, Dec 3, 2008.

1. PBR1844

PBR1844

So this is my winter project. Pulled it out of the field about a month ago. Just got the brakes up and now will be starting to rewire the car.
    Hoping someone can help me with some ideas paint, wheel and tire combo, maybe photoshop or pics of some done up 2 door sedans.

Attached Files:

• Ford.jpg
      Ford.jpg
      File size:
      114.6 KB
      Views:
  2. brown n down

brown n down

mint green on white steelies

3. 47 Tudor Guy

47 Tudor Guy

4. PBR1844

PBR1844

Mint green and white would be classy. i like that and its traditional.

5. 4tford

4tford

A 40 sedan but close to yours.

Attached Files:

6. 47 Tudor Guy

47 Tudor Guy

4tford..
    NIce ride. I wanted a 40 sedan when I was shopping for a project, but had to settle for the 47. I since found a 40 sedan for the right price. The guy doesn't officially have it for sale, but will sell it to me if I want it. I am holding off for a while... I'm not up to diving into any more major projects right now.

Anyway, I really like youre car. Nicely done.

7. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Basic Traditional...

8. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

Here's mine. pigpen

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. 47 Tudor Guy

47 Tudor Guy

nice ride pigpen.

10. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

You are too kind! :D pigpen

11. Jaker

Jaker

Spray paint a '3' on the side, and grow a mustache!

12. PBR1844

PBR1844

That is a nice looking Ford, Pigpen. Love the chrome on the fenders,and the burgandy interior classy.

13. tbill

tbill
    from central ny

'Pulled it out of the field about a month ago'

was that a one off, or is that field growing more of those?

j/k looks like a good start.

14. JackShaft

JackShaft

Personally I'd go for Washington Blue with reworked chrome on the fenders then get some ribbed desoto bumper repops and mount them closer to the body on some new mounts to get that early custom look. Wheels I'd go for a chrome/washington blue or perhaps cream steelies.

If you feel like adding more subtle custom touches you could read up on how hamber Chads molded in the fenders on his 48 ford coupe. The flush-mounted look with some nice metal work and a skim coat of filler will ready make it stand out without being obvious to an inexperienced viewer.

In terms of tires I would go for a Firestone ribbed whitewall with about 2-2.5 inches of white. If you decide to go with the desoto bumpers (easily available being the key) the ribbed look will carry a nice theme across without it looking 'themed'

Feel free to PM me if you need PN's or just feel like brainstorming ideas on how to proceed.

-Andy

15. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

The chrome on the fenders is really polished stainless steel which is stock on the '41 Super Delux. I spent days and days and nights too polishing all of that trim out, using a buffer on an old washing machine motor. The SS should be good for another 67 years now. :D pigpen

Oh yea... The seat covers came from Kanter for less than $400 and I was able to install them myself. Door panels are just plain, made at home with the same naugahyde as the seats. Carpet is also from Kanter, precut and bound, also at a very reasonable price.

16. 47 Tudor Guy

47 Tudor Guy

Pigpen,
    Quick question.. your door panels... did you re-cover the original base panels or use new base material for the panel... meaning the panel under the upholstery? I am looking for material to make the panels in mine to attach the cloth to, this is why I am asking.

17. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

My old panels were rotted away so I made new ones using 1/8" Lauan Mahogany plywood, about 3/8" foam padding and the same burgandy naugahyde that is on the seats. An upholsterer friend of mine recommended the Lauan. It doesn't warp like cardboard and you can get it at the local home improvement store.
    I have had good luck using waxed packing crate cardboard as a base, but it is hard to find except in Idaho where they use it for shipping potatoes. :D

18. 47 Tudor Guy

47 Tudor Guy

Thanks pigpen - that;s what I was looking for. I was thinkiing about going to an upholstery shop, but knew that whatever they used would probably be expensive...

Did you glue or staple the material??? or both?

19. Dago Red

Dago Red
    from Delaware

You pulled that out of a field in Wisconsin, and it looks like that? When was it parked in the field, 1997?

As for color, you can't go wrong with Washington blue.

20. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

Glue the foam on the panel with 3M spray contact cement, lightly glue the top material to the foam, then roll it over the edge and staple to the back side of the Lauan. Start the staples in the center of each side and work outward, notch the corners so the material goes around the corners smoothly. Use short staples that don't go all the way through the wood and a little glue also if you think it's necessary. The vertical trim pieces on my door panels are the original '41 trim parts, painted a metalic burgandy to match the hyde of the mighty Nauga. :D pigpen

21. 47 Tudor Guy

47 Tudor Guy

You da man! Thanks pigpen. I;ve done some upholstery before... so you have pointed me the right way!

Thanks again

22. vintagedream

vintagedream

Here's mine, or most of it.
    DSCF0599 (1024x768) (800x600).jpg