Register now to get rid of these ads!

Past The Tube

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Mercury Kid

Mercury Kid

To quote some Kerouac, "Yeah man, yeah".

2. I have had the same epiphany with mountain bikes and cars. To steal your phrase "skating the same line..." I have with both of those endeavors and it feels good.

3. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

I ain't driven my ''A'' yet, but sometimes in the garage alone is the ONLY place to be!
    I do nearly all my stuff myself, thats how I like it to be.Not even my Wife pops her head round the door to see if I'm still alive!LOL.I don't even have music on most of the time, gets in the way of THOUGHT!Thanks Ryan for the GOOD read, it is ALL about YOU/OURSELVES and how it makes you/us feel at one with our spirits.This is some DEEP SHIT, GREAT.

Nick.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  4. jjsound

jjsound

people always ask "you going to the car show?" then act surprised when i say "i wasnt planning on it". i find when i just sit and stare at all those cars i just go kinda crazy then i just want to work on or drive mine. well at least ill never have to pay an entry fee. even when i do go i just park on the street or in a corner somewhere and when i decide to leave there is generally a small crowd standing around the rusty and primed chevrolet then i hope like hell she starts;)

5. mgbtc

mgbtc

Seems like you might have found another way to enjoy life...........

6. firerod

firerod
    from Colorado

Thank you. It's not about the shows or what people think you should be doing. It's about having FUN!

7. DoubleUc

DoubleUc
    from IL

ryan i forgot to ask you if your friend was a long boarder...even though i know he was. (?)

8. AHotRod

AHotRod

Well stated Ryan, this is what my son's and my old Coupe have done for me for 25 years.....brought me happiness and serenity. Most folks have no idea what they are missing.
    I trust all is well for you, Marcy and the babies.

9. Degreaser

Degreaser

I can relate. Often while out driving, go absolutley nowhere, thinking to myself "can it possibly get any better than this?" I think... man!, Im glad Im me. What a simple pleasure, but a pleasure only an old car can give.

On the other hand, sometimes I think I have a sickness. I have caught myself driving, listening to the purr of the motor and think...I wish I could break down right now. It would be a great excuse to get to know the workings of my car a little better, and to see what Im really made of. Sick...I know.

10. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

"You hear people say that it’s really all about the people and not to so much the cars. There are moments for me when that line is true, but I’m hesitant to admit - it’s not about the people for me. I’ve never been a people person and well… for the most part, I’m a hermit. I enjoy just being with myself."

You took the words right outta my mouth. I totally get it. Yesturday I also went for a drive to nowhere just becuase I could. It was fantastic. It is always fantastic.

11. Well, Ryan I think you have really done it this time - now everyone will know that we just love our cars and the time we spend driving great roads and even cleaning or working on them is important to us, with no excuses.
    The creative time is even better - thinking/dreaming about what you want and then developing a plan/process to get there. Some times you get close with the result but it just leads us on to the better idea/plan.
    As an old car designer, this is what I have done all my life. But, I still find that a nice run through some 'windy twistys' is the best therapy for me when I need to step away from all the 'stuff ' that we all have.
    Great to read that you are up and about - fantastic!
    All the best for the holidays,
    Allen Ornes

12. Pscott

Pscott

This has been some great insight into the psyche of the average car guy. I never "got" the surfing thing (how could I, living in Kentucky:rolleyes:) but I sure understand the car thing. I love the challenge of building, modifying, and hunting parts for a car. My reward is the little victories when some obstacle is overcome, or when that elusive part shows up. Long live car guys and car culture!

13. TERPU

TERPU

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  14. Roadrat

Roadrat

Well Ryan...You're nuts and you need therapy...

Grinnnnnn....

Roadrat

15. Ghost28

Ghost28

Yea I think I hit the point of going past the tube a while. back when I decided instead of going to a afternoon car show sit down. I went east out of town. no radio, lonely two lane, no traffic, or people. was late in the day driving slow enough to see a lone snake on the side of the road. or turn a corner and see a small fox with a bird held tight in its mouth. or just the birds resting on the farmers fence. at that point I realized there is a lot more road to travel and kept going. no need to go fast that day...ghost

16. schess

schess
    from KS

Great stuff Ryan. My buddy said if he didn't hunt deer, he wouldn't be who he is. If I didn't wrench on stuff, I'm not sure I would feel right. I can make sense of myself when I'm workin on my cars and driving them. It's almost New Year's resolution time, and gettin out to drive MORE is gonna be it. Plain and simple. Just me, the car, and the road, way more often.

17. Good read Ryan. It think it's about getting the world to slow down. Here in the HAMB world, it's old hot rods that take us to a slower time and place. TOO much 'stuff' these days....

18. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

that analogie (SP?) is perfect. the only thing i enjoy as much as building and driving old cars, is surfing... well almost the only thing hehe. when building a car for yourself, you gotta be in the mindset that your the only person on earth. at least i do.

19. Good read today. I've felt "it" and plan to on many more occasions. Thanks for reminding me to take the time to feel it more often.

20. guys i work with call me gear head i tell them they would be walking with out us and ryan you can't be alone now 65000 of us

21. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

I'm going for a drive in the 36 right now...................

22. Mopar Mama

Mopar Mama
    from Boise, ID

It is a hard thing to explain. I've tried it myself. For those of us that feel it, we will be here a long time. This is going to sound strange, but I can't wait to get the Plymouth done so I can take those long drives, and naps in the back seat.

23. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

24. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

Ryan you really nailed it, we some times are so wrapped up in the bs that we need to get in the rod and let the wind blow the crap out and put us back in tune. I just finished (almost ) my 51 woodie it didn't look right until I put my 1965 Roberts long board on the rack, now all is right with the world lets go find those tubes

25. sidevalveguru

sidevalveguru

To Ryan: sorry to hear that you had hit some speedbumps; best wishes & hopes for a complete & speedy recovery!
    While i cannot completely damn the posers + billet guys, (they MAY figure it out, eventually) i guess that anyone that finds enjoyment of any sort in an auto hobby luckier than most.
    Why do i like the 'old $#!+'? A coupla reasons: SOLIDITY! i'm 53yr, & it's older than me!!! May well be around forever. CREATIVITY: The most interesting stuff comes from a time when even the most staid were still looking for the 'best answer' (GAWD, i envy them those days!!) WORKMANSHIP!: that was a time when the product carried the message of who you were.
    Todays tech can produce excellent results, but it has zero soul.
    This has to be one of the very best threads, to date!
    Best wishes to all who read this far!!
    SvG

26. Greybeard

Greybeard

Ryan - Well put. Years ago, when we were semi-broke, doing the Peter to Paul Payday Shuffle, the hot rod was often our only transportation, and was like a member of the family. We'd stash a couple of hard-budgeted dollars in a tool box drawer lined with a picture of whatever it was I just had to have next. Found myself cutting back on smokes and burgers and working side jobs to stuff the kitty. I cherished trips to the speed shop, and every part purchase left me with the same feeling I had when I got that brand new and expensive English Racer my tenth birthday (and promptly de-fendered / plastered with flame and skull decals from the Western Auto...) I catch myself these days going on line to Ebay or Craigs list or the HAMB classifieds, finding what I want, then pointing and clicking away. It's not nearly so much fun as the olden times, and the Grinch in me gets buyers remorse everytime I buy something and find it ten bucks cheaper a day later... Hopefully I'll remember to enjoy it a little more...

I was an avid surfer, myself. Grew up just a few blocks from the beach and went out as often as I could, risking grades and part time jobs just to catch one more set. Then life and a war, college, career and family sort of happened. Somewhere along the way, I lost not just my board, but my way, and maybe even a little piece of who I was - whom I might have become... So, I bought a used board and wet suit this summer and the old man has climbed back on the baby waves on the north end of Virginia Beach every couple of weeks. I have the occassional, fleeting deja vu feeling of watching an event unfold in slow motion like it did back in the day when my reflexes were hummin' and I was riding a big curl, but now it's usually while I'm in the process of getting dumped.... Ain't much of a tube to drive past, but it's a start.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  27. Yep! I'm going for a drive.

28. borntoolate

borntoolate

I've been there before. I gotta get back! Great inspiration, Ryan.

29. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

I think you said it perfect Ryan. I am a lot the same as you. I think I enjoy the attention from a cool car, but I just want to be alone and go for a drive to nowhere and just enjoy the car. I can't think of nothing better than just going for a long drive with cool scenery in a dope car. There is no posturing or egos just the sound of a motor and tires on the road and the wind. I love it and miss it. I need to get my 64 on the road because right now I am like the dude sitting on the beach watching all the surfers knowing what I am missing but just lack a board to go out there and catch a few waves.

30. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Great thoughts Ryan!
    I can relate. The HERD effect. Sometimes I feel younger guys like you are the JOHNNY come LATELY'S horning in on MY SPECIAL PLACE (and like-aged buddies). Especially when guys your age start waxing philosophically about old cars. BUT, I guess, the hot rod forefathers we ALL admire, feel the same way about folks my age......HAHAHAA
    People are funny.