Register now to get rid of these ads!

what should i do to this MODEL A COUPE?????????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AF/X, Dec 5, 2008.

1. AF/X

AF/X

i have always wanted to chop the top on a model a, remove the fenders, hood, maybe put a flathead in it, you know like they did back in the day.

but since i found this one i'm not sure if i should cut it up. it is in pretty good shape runs good (older restoration). so should i cut it up or just sell it and keep looking for another in not as good of shape to do? if you think i should cut this one any suggestions as to how?

here are some pictures of mine and of the one i like if i did cut it?

thanks for your help,
    Rob

Attached Files:

2. JRRoberts

JRRoberts
    from Madison WI

I say cut it up,...... unless you really enjoy the car the way it is.

3. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

I'd say build an A~V8, All traditional Flathead powered, 3spd, torque tube '40 rear..

But LEAVE the fenders on it !!!

4. Pothole 31A

Pothole 31A

I say you put some 16in wheels on it and hop up that little 4 banger and leave the paint and stuff on there. it will look like a hot rod would have been in the 40's when people couldnt afford v8's that would be sweet. Plus its so clean that you can cut up one that needs more work.

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Full fendered, channeled, "60's type show car. 15" Chrome reverse wheels and a nailhead with a multi carb intake. oh did i mention lots of chrome?

6. chaddilac

chaddilac

Full fendered, Banger powered, stock looking except update the frontend and rearend and lower it, wide whites and steelies too!

7. Whatever you do to it leave it full fendered.

8. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

Just drop it off at my house I'll take care of it for you:D

9. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

I say ,

PLEASE ,PLEASE , PLEASE ,

Send it to me ,I'll be your bestest new friend ,forever!

I promise.................

Chuck.

10. dustys_327

dustys_327
    from winder, ga

chop it up and make er sweet

11. where's my sawsall?!!

12. CRH

CRH
    from Utah

Wowee! I would leave that little buggy just the way it is now. Absolutely beautiful, doesn't need to be changed. And yes, this is coming from a lover of hot rods. I would enjoy it just like it is AT LEAST for a few years! And why not get an old obscure decal or two to put it the window, maybe an old STP decal. I mean OLD. There were bone stock cars that young wanting owners couldn't hotrod, but they managed to get some funny little speed equipment advertised on the windshield!

13. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

Call me a restorer or whatever but I say leave it alone... If you don't want a stock A, somebody does... Sell it, take that money and buy a suitable coupe body to chop. Nothing burns my ass more than seeing someone destroy a nice original or restored car to build a hotrod. I'm all for cutting a body but not one that has survived that long unscathed...

Remember, Hot Rodders are the FIRST recyclers. Taking used up junk and making something out of it...

14. 5window

5window

I'll second this one-too neat as it is to cut it.

15. Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  16. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

17. Flathead26T

Flathead26T

As much as I enjoy seeing a Model A with a chopped top i would leave that beauty alone. That is to good looking to mess with.

18. If you feel confident, customize it....and finish it. Its a great looking car.

Dont let it end up what seems to be a dream ride getting chopped up by an inexperienced metal worker and end up looking like a low budget "hacker" channeled airbag piece of crap (aka: Rat Rod)- slow and low to the ground.

Take your time, and build it the way you envision it.

19. Omega

Omega
    from Mass

Agreed!

20. Take it to a car show or two and enter it.

Then hot rod it and bring it back to the same shows next year... maybe you can get some more A's cheap when the other guys who competed see what you did and have heart attacks.

21. Now that's a sweet one, I'd have to think really hard before cutting it up.

Cooter

22. I'd say refer to my quote below.

23. primopro

primopro
    from Corona, CA

leave it stock and move to so cal so you can get into pomona for free..... Stock a's are the shit, put juice brakes on it and drive it

24. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

I say do what makes you happy. Mine sat in this barn for 50 years it was all stock.I saved all my stock parts. I wont to lower it and chop the top some day. I was going to put my 48 flathead V8 in it but I fell in love the banger. In the barn was a spare A motor so I am hopping up the spare this winter. Give the banger a little timeyou might like it. I drove the car stock for most of the summer then made the header and intake. This spring I striped the fenders off. I can't beleave at 36 years old I could have some much fun going so slow. I have a 68 chevy truck with a with a 427 bigblock in and I did not drive one time this summer.
    have fun Bill
    [​IMG]

25. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

i would really really look at it closely i there is any thing that is off or bondoed i would cut it up.if not sell the damn thing.

26. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I would hotrod it as if it was done in the late 40 or early 50's. keep the fender maybe. install a quickchange out back, drop axle in front, a flattie (I would not own one but its for the look) and some kelseys. no chop (to keep the paint that is on there).

27. solid

solid

yeah, what they said. You can always cut up a junker.

28. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

As for 'cutting it up', if you make a hotrod out of it, I'm asuming you wouldn't trash the fenders, seat, side aprons, spare tire mount, or any other component you choose to remove. Some other model A needs them and the owner is patiently waiting for you to post them on ebay! Those parts aren't married to that particular unit, they will forever be Model A.

Until you are sure, don't do anything. If you let somebody else influence you, you might regret it. Or, worse yet, you might do something that you don't really love and end up convincing, patronizing, yourself to accept it. So your question is a good thing. Hopefully it will stir up some insight into what you are and what you want. Allow time for that to happen, then go with your gut feeling. Your statement suggests that right now your gut feeling is you don't really want a model A.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  29. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

it is totally up to you , it is your car . i bought a stock 1931 tudor deluxe . there were only 20,000 built . i have changed it alot , but so far i have not cut anything . when i was a kid , we cut up everything . destroyed alot of cars . im having a hard time trying to cut this one . altho i have thoughts about doing it , i need a yr round car . i agree with keeping it full fendered . makes for a great daily driver . my avatar is my car . im putting a hopped up 4 banger in it now . im still trying not to cange anything that cant be changed back . just my thoughts . i may change my mind , but im going to really think on it ! JMHO ....... steve ... if you are curious what i have done , please email me @ [email protected] ... your coupe is very nice ! you can sell it ez & buy one that is not so nice & cut it .

30. dudley32

dudley32

you can build a banger..early V-8...juice brakes..or not..dropped axle ..spring behind rear..in other words..you can do alot of things before you do the chop...just take it a little at a time...