Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just My Thoughts About The HAMB

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BBobb, Dec 2, 2008.

1. DRD57

DRD57

That was my approach too. I signed on in the previous century. It could be a pretty brutal place back then.

Ryan made a request for lurkers to come oput of the closet. I think my first post went something like this. "I'm not into the fighting, tatoos and stuff but some of you have some pretty cool cars".

2. chevytaylor

chevytaylor
    from Australia

This place reminds me of serving my apprenticeship many moons ago. I'm a wooden boatbuilder by trade and was trained by my Dad. (my Dad is also a mad hot rodder) The golden rules were, shutup and listen, watch and learn, respect your elders. RESPECT YOUR ELDERS being of the utmost importance. If these rules weren't adopted then you just wouldn't last in the trade. Wooden boats and hot rods have a lot in common, they go hand in hand with, creativity, imagination, craftsmanship, esthetics. I still am serving, and all ways will be, my car, hot rod, apprenticeship. Some of the threads on the HAMB are just incredible. There is just not enough hours in the day to absorb everything that goes on here.

I'll go away and crawl back under my rock now.

3. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Oh yea! That's what I'm talking about.

4. Weasel

Weasel

Ah yes, the kinder, gentler HAMB.:D

I got flamed a couple of times and learned not to take it too personally. Sure won't be the last either, but no good running, crying for mommy:eek:.

The old adage still remains true -"If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen".

5. Kinda like when he dropped his drawers and she said "who you gonna satisfy with that"? He says "ME"! ...

6. Finktim

Finktim

This is funny as shit because we were just discussing this same thing at Daytona last weekend! One of the fellow Hammers had stopped by, really nice guy and we were all chewing the fat. I was mentioning that I got my ass reamed for posting about blowing some guys doors off in my Deuce because I was sick of being screwed with on the street. I didn't start it, but I finished it in the name of old guy hotrodders everywhere! LOL. But, I also got positive posts and some e-mails from others saying I did the right thing and they would have done the same. Needless to say, I couldn't wait for that post to go away, which doesn't take long with the amount of people posting here! We all got a good chuckle out of it.

On the mega-positive side, there are days when I get on here and just laugh my ass off at some of the hilarious comments posted here. There's always something interesting going on, people helping others, constant joking around, it's like one big grease-monkey reunion every day, and thats kool. I've already made some good friends from being here a short time. All the HAMB guys who stopped by and talked to us at Daytona were just nice as could be. Tough love maybe, but that's OK by me. Great site. :cool:

7. Lucky77

Lucky77

I equate this place to where I work. I'm a younger guy and there's a lot of older fellas who've forgotten more about running the machines we work with than I'll ever know. So I take some shit from them but it's worth it when they share some info and tricks of the trade with me. I really don't think the HAMB is much different. You gotta take your lumps:D

8. It does suck to get flamed, but it keeps all the rif-raff out. Quality control... I didn't mind getting harassed, because they do it to everyone. It's not like someone came over to my living room and punched me in the stomach.... just internet banter.

This is a much gentler HAMB. I was lurking in the days of GERM, and I stayed lurking.

9. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

I was a celeberty when i owned my 34. EVERYBODY loved and accepted it. the car i have now only a few get it.. I like it and feel it is a car i can grow old with. my 34 was built to be trendy, a cash cow to make money on. Chainers are the majority out there. if i wanted to be cool i would be one. Nothing fancy about my dress code either unless you are into amish farmer boys. Best Haney

10. I guess one of my problems is that I spent 30 years in a John Deere warehouse. At times it was a brutal invironment, but after all those years I was one of the old guys handing out all the shit. You can really get used to being "the old man".
    Here, I'm a FNG, and when I get dumped on I get riled up!
    I'll get over it, and some day I'll be one of the "old guys".
    But what keeps me coming back is the fact that if I have a question I may get flamed on, usually by someone who doesn't have a clue what I'm talking about, but then someone else will answer me with good advice.
    And, off topic, but a real indication of some of the talent that hangs around this garage, go to the thread "The dreadman coupe" and see what Cris Casny is doing.
    I've been around dirt track, flattrack, and top fuel all my life, and this is some of the finest fabrication you will see anywhere. Mike

11. Gosh . . . what a neat place....

12. Killer

Killer

I came here in 97 to talk shit and start fist fights ....

No fist fights yet!!!

13. Wolfie

Wolfie

Hi Gang, Yep! There's always gonna be a smart-ass wherever you go and with age comes the intelligence to know who is who! There is probably more knowledge right here on the HAMB than in any magazine or publication anywhere, all ya gotta do is ask! I don't have an actual blood family, no kids, no grandkids, nothing! BUT I do have what I refer to as my Car Family............Great Folks! So0 if you want to snivel and whine like a little kid then you'll probably get treated like a little kid! Grow Up and just let the ideas fly..........Nobodys car will be EXACTLTY what you want, so just do what you like and what you want to do as long as it's SAFE and won't hurt other folks! If you need help or want some advice there's plenty help right here on the HAMB!

Wolf

14. solid

solid

the things a guy can learn on hear is well worth having to be a little tuff skinned. i mean we are on computers for gods sake, if you dont like whats going on at the moment push the keyboard away, and turn the f*#king box off. nobody has came to my house and tried to kick my ass over a slight on here, yet. alot of good people on here.

15. Wolfie

Wolfie

Oh yes! In my 67 years on this planet I've found there's only two things worthwile: CARS & MUSIC......................that other thing will be along in a minute if you got the cars and the music!!!!! GOD BLESS "WOLFMAN JACK"!!!!!

16. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

life is tuff,building cars is tuff ,so this site is not any different.I have made some great friends and learnt more stuff than i know what to do with,its the best damn site on the net.Proud to be a HAMBER

17. ironbuyer

ironbuyer

The HAMB has its place to me. If only 2% of the people the start here trying to figure out what to build and finaly get it, it is a success. What I mean by that is building cars the correct way. I live by one rule that was taught to me by the late John Shoemaker it is ok to as questions if you don't know. If someone wants to be a dick head about you not knowing what the answer is then he most likely does not now either. We helped out a ton of racers over the years and then met them in the final round. Sometimes after we helped them earlier that same day. This is type of thought process needs to be found again. There is only one thing that makes me mad on this forum from time to time. When someone asks a question or does not know an answer and gets a ton of shit. People are pretty tuff behind the keyboard!!!! They need to spend more time in the garage. Some people with 1000 plus post in less than a year!!! WOW

Steve Glucoft
    Amocat Speed Emporium

18. sololobo

sololobo

So here is my humble H.A.M.B. overview.! I think it is the most important single improvement to the hot rod movement. The gals and guys here are the reason i have ventured out across the country to events and shows without fear of being stranded in tim-buk-two when I am broke down. The unselfish help given by people never met, but members of this forum has been unbelievable. Even our own El-Captain was rescued from a road rash incident last summer. Amazing!! The fab. "meet and greet" sessions at events letting us get together to put faces to names, "Wonderful". I have had so many pleasant Sunday morning, coffee and computer sessions looking at great photos of show coverage and being thrilled to see familiar faces and rides of gals and dudes on here. The art shows are really a pleasure from a talent pool that is off the hook, a fab feature. The classifieds, nocost??, man can you beat this?? Thousands of motorheads to offer your goods to and so little hassle about paying etc. Cool!! I was led here by my friend hot-rod roadster-Gary Anderson- I can't thank him enough. So my hats off to all of you here who have made such great contributions to the enjoyment of our sport and I am forever inbebted.~Sololobo~"H.A.M.B. Hound", and damn proud of it!!

19. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

It's a place to get information/advice, good and bad, mostly good. To see workmanship, good and bad, mostly good. To hear opinions. To read about the pride people take in their workmanship. To read about traditional hotrodding, or not. But, hands down, the on topic information outweighs the off topic.

Its the nature of the beast to hear insults from people that don't know any better. We can accept the fact without excusing it. The 'pecking order' is presumed. It's an animal-world term, inconsistent with rational human behavior. The unpleasant interludes when I read insults from bores that jump in to someones post just to stir up shit simply for the sake of it, or 'do a search' from those without time to accomodate, but with time to waste, comes with the territory. But that said; what can be intimidating by being attacked by a pompous bore, resting on a presumed or imagined laurel? Sort it out, consider the source.

One would have to search far and wide to find another place where people are more proud, enthusiastic, and willing, to share their thoughts to support their craft. The good exceeds the unsavory, by far.

20. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

i think the talent here is beyond good . some of the guys/gals here are the most talented people ive seen . the HAMB is fantastic ! ........... JMO ........... steve

21. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

Ah geez are we all gonna hold hands and sing campfire songs now? The hazing here now is nothing like the past, and I kind of miss it. Did I get my sack stomped a few times? yep sure did, and most of the time it was well deserved ( and I'm sure it will happen again) This place is like most of the shops I hang out at, lots of information is shared (mostly good) and we tend to bust each others balls every now and then. It's all good as far as I'm concerned guys...

Bill

22. Tacson

Tacson

I am on another board, FTE (48-60 Ford Trucks) and the biggest hang up with newbies is NOT trying the search function FIRST. Seems like once a week someone is asking "What late model frame can I swap my truck over on". I believe there are stupid questions because folks dont try the SEARCH function first. Which does indeed work. I used it this morning to check on wiring harness previous posts. I to was first offended when I got flamed with my first few questions. I thought about it and said it is sorta like playing for the Coach who used to coach the University in the state im from, Indiana - BOB Knight. IGNORE the cussing and yelling and take in what is trying to be taught/explained/cautioned. The board rocks though. I was to Earl Scheib's yesterday looking around and learning.

23. Let's be honest some old car guys are nasty ass holes and some new car guys are dumb ass holes. Most car people are not.

24. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Was Mike working on Big Olds???? :D

25. metalshapes

metalshapes

No...

I always thought the Hazing was Lame, Clickish, and we ran the wrong people off as well as the right ones.

26. Maybe so, but sometimes the best taught - and remembered - lessons are those that leave marks. re: Basic training - I'll NEVER forget the DI's face, about 2inches from my nose, barking what I did wrong. It happened once and ONLY once. Don't remember too much about the times he smiled and said AWWWWW shucks. Nowadays I hear the boots have "stress cards"? :eek: WTF, Over?

27. metalshapes

metalshapes

If it would be an effective way to select by, that'd be one thing.

But often, it isn't.

If somebody proves themselfs to be an Idiot, we'll take care of it.
    ( sometimes thats years after they sign up...)

28. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Sometimes it is intimidating when you see the incredible craftsmanship on display here. You know the usual suspects, Kiwi Kev, Sellers, Bass, flamedabone, NealinCAand a lot of others. But it never fails to inspire me, I just wish I had the time, equipment, and skills to be able to teach others. For now I'm working on it. I'll get there.

I think the most important thing that I have gotten from this site is inspiration to build a better car. My Plymouth is fun but it's a beater - was always intended to be a beater. My Chrysler will be incredible with the ideas and tricks I've gleaned from this site. Thanks to everyone that shares their builds on this site, it helps immeasurably and I think we've all noticed a steady increase in quality builds everywhere. I think a lot of it has to do with the online community in general and the HAMB in particular.

29. Tacson

Tacson

Denise,
    The Big Olds was getting loving care and attention.

30. One thing you young guys need to remember is that us old guys wern't born with a keybord in our laps. What you know about the computer and how to navigate on it isn't really important to us, we want to know answers to CAR questions.
    Jumping on the old guys because they don't know all there is about a web site is going to run away talent that you young guys need to build these cars you want to look correct for "back in the day".
    Hell, without the "geezers" on the HAMB, all you kids would be wearing out old issues of Hot Rod and Rod & Custom, and still not knowing enough to make it work.
    So.....You teach us about the computer, respectfully, and we will teach you about traditional rods, respectfully. Mike