Register now to get rid of these ads!

Picking up your new hot rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yankbuilt, Dec 3, 2008.

1. yankbuilt

yankbuilt

Anybody got any pictures or stories on how thay got ther rides home?
    Got a good friend that insisted on picking up my new ride.He's is over the top with his rides!It cost me $50!!!!!!! For fuel.We ripped the light bar off the bottom of the bumper.He had 2 more cars inside!!!

Attached Files:

2. fleetside66

fleetside66

Mine has been coming to me in boxes from the UPS truck for the past two years.

3. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Yankbuilt,
    He's a good friend!

4. Mattilac

Mattilac

Quickie photochop. Sweet picture.

[​IMG]

5. When I bought my 57 I first went and looked at it then left a $100.00 deposit. Went home and asked my buddy who drove a tow truck for the Ford dealership how much to flat deck the car home and he says $150.00 Okay I says and paid up front....sumbitch took my $150.00 and bought CAA Plus "like AAA".He then towed my 57 home,charged the towing to CAA and had CAA Plus for the rest of the year at my expense! We both ended up with a few more tows each until they cut us off.....

6. axeman39

axeman39
    from Saco Maine

I picked up my Pontiac in the middle of a blizzard. Freakin trailer trucks were jack knifed and cars were in the ditches, roads were icy and here I come with an old pos on a trailer and a big smile on my face like this:D

7. timmy t

timmy t

went to the east side of S.Dak from the west side in the spring of 88 to get my 47 ford coupe but it was frozen in the ground(no wheels and tires),luckly I bought a 4 door parts car with the coupe and it wasnt frozen to the ground so it wasnt a wasted trip.

8. A few weeks ago picking mine up.:)

Attached Files:

9. Slickster51_50

Slickster51_50

Your friend has a damn good lookin KENWORTH W9!I grew up in a semi runnin cross country with my dad!To say You are a lucky man to have such a good friend is an understatement i wish i had friends like that Over the top or not i would have had the biggest shit eatin grin on my face not only to be pickin up my new car but to be ridin In a Big truck like that would have made me feel like i was a kid again.I know i'm only 26 but those were some of the best times of my youth gettin to see the country while i heard other kids talkin bout goin on vacation to certain places i seen more than most have ever thought of seeing.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  10. yankbuilt

yankbuilt

The Kenworth isn't the only one.We went and bought Kenndle Johnsons old semi he used to hall around his custom choppers in.We got pulled over and my buddy didn't have a cdl!!!!And he's a big truck mechanic.We talked our way out of it. His trucks are registered as motor homes! Don't ask ,I don't get it either.But he is a good friend.I gots lots of those.

11. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

I brought my hotrod home last February on a bitterly cold (-25C) and windy day. At least it was sunny!

Lowly U-Haul rental trailer. Well worth the $65, though.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Clear skies but near white-out conditions at times due to high winds blowing the snow across the open fields.
    [​IMG]

Hmmmm...max speed 45mph. Not while I'm hauling! :p
    [​IMG]

Arriving at home. The straps to the door handles were due to having no confidence in the suicide door latches. Turned out they were fine.
    [​IMG]

12. Picked mine up today.........in a truck!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

Saw my coupe body (with California pink slip) on Ebay...............it didn't make the reserve. I called the guy and offered him cash. He said he would think about it. Two weeks later he called me and said OK.
    I took the pickup, started from Stockton, CA and drove straight to L.A., loaded the car in the pickup, got to Gary Dagel's around 6:00pm that same day (had called Gary and asked him it he would stay so I could pickup his X member and boxing plates) and got a tour of the shop. Payed for the X member and boxing plates and headed back to Stockton. Hit snow going over the Grapevine..................made it home after 15 hours of nonstop driving, some gas stops and McD's stops.

Attached Files:

• z281.jpg
      z281.jpg
      File size:
      59.3 KB
      Views:
  14. Slickster51_50

Slickster51_50

Thats awesome i know how he gets away with that there are some loopholes.My dads friend does the same thing with the one he owns.But to be drivin good lookin trucks like that would be an honor.That guy must be some sort of loaded to be buyin the Kenndels Truck that couldnt have been cheap!

15. Bull

Bull

Saw it on eBay. Talked to the owner on the phone once. Drove 500 miles with my dad and an envelope full of 100's. Drove the car home 500 miles on the same day. It was a perfect sunny day that I'll never forget.

16. sskustoms

sskustoms

Mine used to be a trailer queen:eek:

Attached Files:

17. iamspencer

iamspencer

[​IMG]
    yeah I did use rope to tie that to my biddys jeep while I let my girlfriend drive

18. yankbuilt

yankbuilt

I've also done the Model A in the back of the truck. Me and BigO went to Niagrs Falls N.Y. and back. 1400 miles round trip and we still had things to talk about.His Model A is his avar.,

19. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Thankfully, no drama for me. Saw the sample and mailed in the deposit. We drove in first thing in the AM on the specified date and it was ready. Gave them the balance. Out n in with no probs. It's pretty nice when a mfg is right on time, eh? Bless the folks at Russ Nomore in Chatham, LA. Gary

Attached Files:

20. chop&drop

chop&drop

I flat towed my sedan (the one in my avatar) with a clamp-on tow bar, on god only knows how old tires, from Tulsa to Houston. Youthful ignorance is great - I wouldn't think of doing it today.

21. The Hop Walla

The Hop Walla
    from Dallas

I drove mine home: Kentucky to Texas.

White knuckle ride the entire way.

22. talker

talker

I drove mine home Bell Louisiana to Greenville S.C.

23. DogTownKustoms

DogTownKustoms

Drove it home, not too far, bout 40 miles on PCH, got my first speeding ticket..........

24. RoscoeFink

RoscoeFink
    from Idaho

I loaded my Jalopy onto a U-Haul trailer and towed it 250 miles in the snow.
    The thing weighed 100lbs. more than the Suburban that was towing it and was far too long for the U-Haul.
    It took me four hours to load it onto the Trailer, because my come-along broke under the weight. I finally just locked the brakes of my Suburbon, andhad the junkyard Cat drag it up with his wrecker.
    Getting it on the trailer wasn't easy, but getting it off was nothing short of dangerous.
    I ended up having to call an ol' friend-o-mine at 10:30pm to get him to help. we tied the sled off to his lil' S-10 to "make sure" it didn't roll away, and pushed the sled back, dragging his skidding truck along as the car rolled off the ramps, out of control. As it rolled down, the trailer broke right off the hitch of my 'Burbon and the front end of the trailer went straight into the air, sending pieces of metal flying into the cold darkness. Fortunately none of the pieces hit anybody, and none of the vehicles were hurt. After all was said and done, the Lincoln was sitting in the driveway.
    That's my tale.

25. Florian

Florian

Haha great idea for a thread :rolleyes:

I had my project picked up by a client of my Dad. He owns a shipping company and delivers especially beer :D

My little pick up was stuffed between 25tons a beer :D:D:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As the truck was too big to drive into our narrow street, we had to get my PU home someway :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. bluestang67

bluestang67

27. yankbuilt

yankbuilt

Beer and Hot Rods, they go hand and hand!!!!

28. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Florian - mmmm, Pschorrbrau! You dad's truck looks a little bigger than the one my delivery man used when he delivered my case each week (left it on the doorstep) in Schwabmunchen (south of Augsburg) in 1970 through 72.

29. "Whitey Ford" 62 Uni

"Whitey Ford" 62 Uni
    from Tampa, FL

That beer driver looks lile the type of guy you dont blow your horn at for holding traffic up huh.

30. Pscott

Pscott

I drove it home, about 15 miles. The original (mechanical) brakes were so bad, I had busted out the front seat mounts from standing on the brake pedal! About half way home, a trailer seemed like a really good idea:rolleyes: