Register now to get rid of these ads!

1955 Ford Customline "facelift"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nitro-Flattie1, Nov 20, 2008.

1. So heres a shot of the passenger rear quarter panel...
    Take a look at the lower lip of the wheel well...

[​IMG]

2. Heres the very bottom of the rear quarter panel...
    wasted...

[​IMG]

3. The front driver lower fender piece we cut out...

[​IMG]

4. This is what the rocker was capped with...
    fiberglass...Note the screws that held it all together...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. carnage...

[​IMG]

It was gold at one time...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Last but not least... The xtra thick bondo...
    This came from the lower front fender we cut out...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

It's like sewing, except with steel panels and a welder. Remember that and get used to it. Have fun with it! My girl can make blankets, and I can put cars back together...

You're bringing back from the dead (strictly in terms of bad bodywork), something someone a while ago cast off as a patch-it-up-and-sell it job, yet YOU are responsible for making it right in the long run for you and someone else to enjoy should you decide to sell it. Saving another from the crusher, so to say. Looks like you are doing it right, the panels you've shown so far are annoying to find that kind of damage in, but the overall car is worth saving without a doubt, so spend some time stitching it up, and it will be that much better in the long run...:D

8. Thanks man,
    The words of encouragement is good to hear.
    i can't beleive how rotton the hole front of this car was...
    The further i go... the more im finding what was hidden many many many years ago.

That rear quarter will be fun!:D

9. Squablow

Squablow

EEK, that's rough. I'm kind of amazed that people are able to get the fiberglass and whatever else to hold it's shape long enough so that it'll set up and stay in place. When you're trying to cover a hole you could put your fist through, you can't exactly wipe mud over it and fill it in.

The Edsel I was talking about, this is what it looked like once I ground the mud out of the quarter, and then with the homemade pieces tacked in place. The other side was worse.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the end it would have been a lot less work if whoever bondo'd it up would have just left it alone.

10. Man! Thats way rough...
    Kudos on the patch work!:D

11. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

12. Reminds my of my 54 wagon...had a nice 10 foot paint job on it...my buddy who owns a bodyshop even went with me...holy crap what a bondo bucket that thing was! Patching, patching and more patching...should have bought stock in Industrial Metal Supply...good luck with yours!

13. WOW! The dude restoring that Impala has some big balls, vision and talent! This is all inspiration for me, to do my '64 Starfire convertible. That's one of the many good things about this forum, we push each other to keep-on keepin'-on! Part of it is ego driven, which is OK too.:p

Attached Files:

14. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I still cant believe that car is from the west coast as it looks the same or a little worse worse then mine from Ohio,I only had to replace one rocker panel and it was the pass side. Your drivers side floor is worse then mine too and mine had the rubber floor mat that does not breath,on the pass side floor I just made a couple patches for it but I did have to replace both rears. Jeff

15. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

that looked like road kill... I was scanning pictures without reading and it looked like you hit an animal... yuck.

16. Whoa! You're scarin' me! I haven't even got to that point yet! (I'm still trying to get the thing running!)

17. Rocker Done...
    Bottom of the front fender...
    Drivers floor done...

[​IMG]

18. Squablow

Squablow

Looks nice, those rockers line up really well. Planning to repaint it black again? Looks good in black.

19. Squablow

Squablow

[quote="Whitey Ford" 62 Uni;3317409]Wow...thats like going home with a nice hot chick from the bar then get her home, pull of her panties and she has a penis...worse thing is though its bigger than yours. just joking

Still though its a beautiful car...except the penis, i mean rust right there. Hell it will be fun fixing that but either way thats a nice car. congrats.[/quote]

You could totally nickname this car "The Crying Game"

20. Man, im on the fence with the paint.

It's either going to be black with the candy burgandy roof...

OR....

White with the candy burgandy roof... Same color as the wheels.

:confused:

21. LabRat

LabRat

Effort and Reward .... Great work man .

22. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

There's always '' Collision Beige " for a colour choice!!! Jus' kiddin'!

Your work looks great! Be sure to take an honest look at all of the frame and suspension under that vehicle. If the tin looks that rough, the frame can't be a virgin!
    Is that a Chief Easyliner you're workin on top of?

Swankey Devils C.C.
    "Meanwhile, back aboard The Tainted Pork"

23. Adam D.

Adam D.

that thing is tops bro! nice fab work.

24. Docco

Docco
    from Ippy

I wanted to trough away my 56' until i saw the rust. nothing worse than openning up a can of worms.

25. brownsmetal

brownsmetal

Well worth the effort. nice looking car!

26. Collision beige! Thast KIller! LOL!!! no shit:D

The more that we dig further the more were finding.
    Chief Easyliner... Yes.

My goodfriend who has way more skills than me rents a spot at a body shop. Were cutting and fixing all the crap there...

27. Were waiting for the rear quarter panel from EMS.
    We started sanding down the car and doing a little mud work...

[​IMG]

28. The car for sure is no show car... and it will be a huge improvement from when i bought it...( RE: the rust issues )

My good friend who owned the car prior to me drove the crap out of this car.
    The running gear on the car is great! and super reliable.

Just the body was...Rough.

So... i just want to fresnen it up a little...

The clear coat was peeling and the prior "fixens" are now falling apart.

On a positive note...
    Divine did the interior and it still looks great.

[​IMG]