Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cadillac Flathead - Timing Cover Casting Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiftyv8, Nov 24, 2008.

1. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Well guys, I have been sounding off about this project for so long I was starting to wonder if I'd ever go the distance to getting it finished.

So here it is, I have struggled to learn and perfect the art of pattern making which has now taught me to hold pattern makers in very high esteem.

Cadillac Pattern 005.jpg

Cadillac Pattern 007.jpg

I started out looking for aluminum bolt on equipment for Cadillac flathead engine rebuild and while there is some parts to be had I wanted to tidy up the front of my engine by removing the fan, fuel pump and generator as well as building a modern crank seal.

Cadillac Pattern 010.jpg

Cad Engine 04.jpg

Since I was planning to use the 2 x 2 carby setup, it seemed the generator may have trouble staying there any ways.

I enbarked on this project to shorten the pulley area at the front of the engine and get a clean and tidy look for such an engine in a hot rod engine bay.

I am prepared to accept the fact that it may have drifted away from being traditional, but I do hope I still score a few points for being original and doing it mostly myself with the exception of the casting which was done by an exceptional backyarder.

Cadillac Pattern 018.jpg

Cadillac Pattern 024.jpg

I must say up front that this may not be suitable for the guys running original engines in the original Cadillac and Lasalle cars since it may not be compatible or easy to cope with a removing the fan, pump and generator.

2. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Since my cover was designed to be used on an engine going into my five
    window model T pickup hot rod project there was no reason to hold back.

Galaxy Brakes 027.jpg

Galaxy Brakes 029.jpg

I have adapted a 2 row after market chev pulley to the crank and made my own alumium water pump pulley which a been re-aligned to match up with the crank pulley which is much closer into the block than original.
    I also plan to run power steering, an alternator and a/c should the gods be smiling upon me and allow all these items to fit into place.

Altbrkt 001.jpg

Altbrkt 002.jpg

Altbrkt 006.jpg

Psteer 003.jpg

Then after preparing my pattern of the new timing chain cover I got the 1st casting done and this is what it came out like.

Cadillac Pattern 025.jpg

Cadillac Pattern 026.jpg

Pretty sweet I thought perfect shrinkage and no real bad stuff, just had a little cold spot around the crank which will deal with next time.
    Happy with that out come I took it to a machine shop and got it faced and all the holds drilled in position.

I then took it back home to do my 1st trial fit and with only a couple of minor adjustments it went straight on and looks like an new piece of Cadillac bolt on speed equipment has been born.

Cadillac Pattern 029.jpg

Cadillac Pattern 032.jpg

Cadillac Pattern 034.jpg

Cadillac Pattern 035.jpg

We encountered a couple of little sand cave in's during the 1st casting but they ground off and were not all that visible.
    Once the cover is polished it will not be noticeable.

I plan to cast a small number of these timing covers, so should anybody feel they could be interested in acquiring one for there project drop me a PM and I will fill you in on the details.

I expect they will be available after xmas but numbers would be good to know before I get that far.

3. MBL

MBL

Looks cool! I'd be interested to see if one can be done in aluminum for the stock application.
    Tim
    MBL

4. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Looking good Russ. I've always said you are a brave man.

5. keeper

keeper
    from So Cal

Well as we talked about it before you know I am in, let me know what price you come up with.

6. Paul

Paul
    Editor

7. Russ-
    Nice work, nice shop. I think you have too many projects going on, though. Why don't you drive that red one over to my house? (nudge nudge, wink wink!)
    Remain Calm.

8. burger

burger

Russ,

Looks great! Building a pattern involves a lot more work than one would think!

Ed

9. Evilfordcoupe™

Evilfordcoupe™

Its cool that you actually have a nice workable part, and understand the process.

Ive cast a bunch of stuff, and believe me, learned EVERYTHING the hard way.

-Jason

10. Abomination

Abomination

11. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Cool!
    I'd be interested in one too.

So you replaced the front pulley,
    I thought the caddy's had a harmonic balancer on the front?
    or at least there is a big heavy ring on it,
    what is your plan for that?

Did you machine for a stock oil seal or a chevy oil seal?

I've never measured but is the crank the same hole/keyway as a chevy?

Could you still use that cover with the stock pulley, thus using the stock pump pulley etc?
    (just no stock generator?)

Thanks alot and neat project.

TP

12. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I will get back to you guys who are interested in getting a timing cover, I am just trying to tie down the machine shop guy as that is where most of the cost is.

As for the front crank pulley I will try and get a couple of close up pic's of it for you.
    No there was no harmonic balance on the crank but has a tin cover that looks like it is one.
    The engine is a 1938, however the 1937 did have a harmonic balance kind of. but it was not used after that from what I can determine.

The original crank pulley boss lends itself to being modified easily and as I was wanting a modern seal and to remove some of the wasted space taken up by the original configuration, I spent a little extra time working it out.

The cover will work on my engine as well as a unmodified pulley system.

More pic's soon.

13. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Just for all those curious folks out there, the inscription down the front was inspired by another HAMBer named Palle.

It says CADFLAT which I thought was appropriate.

14. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

15. emiliedk

emiliedk
    from denmark

this looks fantastic Russ! sign me in for one! and yes the house building goes well. i'll keep you updated.
    -palle

16. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

THIS is real hot rodding! A classic yet unusual engine, redesign to make it better, and doing it the classic way. The 'easy' way out would have been to CNC the whole thing. Doing it the traditional way is very kewl. Kudos.

17. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Thanks for the compliments guys, just glad to be part of traditional hot rodding and making a difference once in a while.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  18. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Russ, you know i'll take one. I had to blow the pic up to see what was on the front. Cadflat is wicked. Really nice job! We are all lucky to benefit from your efforts!

19. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I am very happy to make a contribution to hot rodding.
    I will post another thread soon regarding the Pulleys so it will be easy to search for in the future.

Thanks to
    emiliedk<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_3327230", true); </SCRIPT> for the name inspiration, I hope he is OK with me using it, he is a very dedicated cadillac flathead addict.

20. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Just an up date on the progress of the timing covers.
    After doing some further checking and also consulting with the machine shop and casting guy, I need all you guys who have expressed an interest in purchasing one of these covers to understand the following so that there will be problems or misunderstandings for you when ordering etc.

Due to the small number that I am going to get cast the machine shop and casting guy have not been kind to me on price. (read on)

Secondly I have discovered that there are at least two and maybe more sizes of the crank pulley boss so for me to send you the right size may cause some problems relating to hole size and choice of seal.

So to ensure everybodies best interests are taken into account as I do not want anybody to feel they have been sold something that would not work for their project I have decided to offer you Buyers the following;

Go to flatcaddy.com for current price/shipping and availablity information. I will supply with all the faces machined and the perimeter bolt and dowell holes drilled, but I will NOT machine the center crank hole or supply a seal.

This does two things, it allows you to choice the seal (same as an axle seal) that works for your crank boss and you can be 100% sure that when you get the crank hole machined it will be specifically for your engine.

Finally it helps to keep the manufacturing costs down at my end.

If anybody is not happy with this arrangement or has changed their mind about buying one of these, I am OK with that and I am sorry that I can not do more for you.

On the other hand, if you are OK with this offer please email me at [email protected] and send me your name and postal address etc and I will reply a in a short time with your total including shipping and my Colorado address where you can forward your payment.

Once payment is received, I get the machine work done then post out since carrying stock with all machining done is way too costly for me to bare.
    Hence shipping is not immediate.

Many thanks, Russ.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  21. keeper

keeper
    from So Cal

Russ just let us know when and what payment to send.

22. Very cool post.

23. Neat part, congrats on the project!

24. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

To the guys wanting a timing cover we are casting limited numbers now so when I get your payment I will send them out.

Please note that each item will have its own individual number cast into it so the earlier you get your payment in the lower the number casting you will receive.

Best wishes, Russ.

25. Waht you talking for a raw casting? I will fit the cover and do the machine work.

26. keeper

keeper
    from So Cal

Russ I emailed you, please let me know what it will take to get this to 90746.

27. i also maybe interested in a raw casting ..as i don't get on this site as often as i wish can u send me a personal message..thanks

28. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Russ, I thought i'd bump this back up, as this piece is so cool!

29. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Dang...

Latley I been thinking I finally well rounded in the hor rod/ fabrication circles...

Now I realize I suck....still

30. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

I dunno, salty- that chop sewage thread was pretty cool!