Register now to get rid of these ads!

We don't use the entire buffalo (rant)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by plym49, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Bored Over

Bored Over

Here's a good one.This last spring I helped my daughter wit a science project. Someone had an old refrigerator they traded in(1942 G.E.)because it was old an ran alot.They wanted to be green and all.I borrowed a meter from the city to compare electric rates between the old one and a new basic 17' ref.The old one ran twice as much but consumed HALF as much electricity as the new one.Igot a nice old refrigerator for free. Who's being greener now???

2. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

The flaw is if you build an economy on waste.

I wonder how many problems we are seeing can be traced back to making good expedient decisions rather than good long term ones. The big three are the poster children for that. They got themselves into a pickle by not paying attention to what was really happening in the world.

3. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Amen!

4. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

the real answer is...eat Buffalo, lots of it. Veggies will ruin the world

5. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Yes, you are right. Because "that's not the way we do it". So he will pay a worker to load a dumpster and unload the lumber truck. Double, triple handling. So, why is this way of working more profitable? That is the question.

It's not a question of being green. It's a question of money. If/when things get to the point where there is more money to be made by 'doing the right thing' than not, then all of a sudden corporate and individual behavior will change by itself. No greenies/hippies/tree huggers/whatevers needed.

6. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Hey, if you are going to start using science and logic, ...................

:)

7. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Damn Trent, I knew there was something I liked about you and the part about Al Gore kissing your ass cemented the deal.:eek::cool::D

FRank

8. We have become a disposable world.

9. Weasel

Weasel

That's why they call hot rodders the original automotive recyclers.

10. Road Runner

Road Runner

Since I was a kid, I've been watching a long snake eating its own tail.

Overpopulation of the planet never ends until it consumes it's limited sustainable resources.
    Complexity is a tough bone to digest, but it will pass one way or the other.

I much rather would like to watch a herd of buffalo roaming than fighting over the remains of the last few sickly ones.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  11. The37Kid

The37Kid

I understand your original post, we are a throw away society today, unlike what we had back before WWII. Just last weekend I stoped at an Estate Sale here in town. House was 1900 or a bit older, and you could tell it had been in the same family for generations. YES I got every auto relate item in the place, someone saved them for a reason, and I just became the new middleman. Nothing wrond with dumpster diving IF you get permission, I cleared $1,500. on the last one I got picking rights to. Never understood why people spend money on bubble wrap and cardboard boxes, the world around here id full of used ones. To keep this thread HAMB oriented, has anyone built a car, or funded it with sales of recycled or cast off items. I just got a load of free take it away stuff today, and may just start a 1930 Ford Roadster fund with the profit. Roadster body and '32 Ford frame were FREE years ago. I could have a finished car and a profit!:D

12. Old61

Old61
    from PA

There will always be waste to haul off and an illegal gettin paid to load the dumpster. Have you ever seen a load of lumber get unloaded the easy way? The whole load comes right off, no help needed.

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

If you throw it away and I pick it up and sell it it is good for Bob. :)

14. Hot rods are totally recyclable, a real car builder will use the same parts over and over, check writers are giving us a bad wrap.

15. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Vegetarian, is an old Indian word for can't shoot straight.

16. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Now that's funny!

17. It is up to US to help educate Joe Average. When I am at a gas stop someone always snickers and asks about mileage.........they shut right up when I politely say the 54 gets 20+ on the highway. My ranger gets 18. That one person can go relate that story to HUNDREDS of like minded voters. Spread the gospell HAMBers!

18. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

I spent all day yesterday doing this. Somebody posted a freebie ad on Craigslist "Free Scrapmetal".

I ran over there because people who post stuff like that usually have no idea what it is, they just want it gone. Sure enough, it was a bunch of car parts left outside mixed with every kind of crap known to man. Some scrappers were there and the owner wasn't going to hold anything.

When I got there, the scrappers were flipping a 327 end over end to get it on their trailer. I found where the guy had stashed all the chrome and trim and concentrated on getting that and pointed the scrappers to the heavy crap so they'd stay away from the car parts.

I saved a bunch of it but the scrappers took some nice non car stuff that was definitely worth more than they were gonna get for scrap (two cast iron clawfoot tubs, a 20s enamel stove). I told them where the local building salvage place was and that they could get more for it there but they looked like the lazy beer money types.

I get a kick out of reusing/recycling stuff. For the reasons "greenie hippies" state and because old stuff is just cooler than new stuff.

19. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

yep.. tell them a 1940 Hudson with a straight 8 and 3 speed got 27 mpg...
    look at weight.. my 57 buick weighed just over 4100 stock. a new Accord is at 3800 lbs.

Attached Files:

20. Oh man....that is funny!

21. Yeah, technology and govt regulation sure have "advanced" us:rolleyes:

22. premium

premium
    from Goergia

cant burn lumber, most of the time its pine which will leave residue in your chi8mney and more than likely cause a fire and burn the fuckn house to the ground, and its almost always preasure treated, which when burned will realease chemicals that burn your lungs up...i understand the moral behind your story and agree. but old lumber is only good for building somthing else or a bad ass bonfire cant burn it in your home...

23. Most of the country has normal pine lumber not pressure treated. You are right on the smoke from that being bad juju. We burn pine up here exclusively works fine. Cutoffs make great firestarters.

24. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

25. Ratty55

Ratty55
    from Frohna,MO

Many towns are passing city ordinances to prevent people from going through the garbage and using stuff like that lumber. Even if you see something being wasted and you have a good use for it, it will be illegal????? (Columbia,MO)
    Justin

26. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

read your own sig-line for the answer to that one. :D

27. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

That's just f-ed up! What's the point? I build just about everything out of scrounged lumber, that shits expensive. What the hell do all these people who think of these ordinances do all day? I can't relate to people who can't see there's nothing wrong with letting someone cart off a sheet of old plywood or let the bums pick up cans (I'd rather have them fishing cans out of the trash than begging at offramps). Then again, have you heard about "freegans"? That's recycling that I'll just not into...

28. zbuickman

zbuickman

part of the kiln dring process for dimensioal lumber is a spraying of pesticide. you cant burn that.... Well I guess you can but I wouldnt :eek:

29. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

Its not only out hot rods that are recycled, how about are daily drivers, take my 93 Surburban. It has 180000 miles on it and need a new motor, $2000 get the motor in there compltly gone through and upgraded with a roller cam, new every thing else that is needed. It is a rust free truck.
    So when I'm done I have a new 1993 Burb drive if for another 200000 miles ( assuming my engine builder is better than GMs). It get 18-20MPG driving 65 on the freeway. So total fuel saved in not buying a newer harder to work on ????? that get maybe 26mpg. has got to be significant.
    The only loss to our socity is job loss.
    But yet I get crap for driving a wastefull truck.
    If I coud find another rust free Burb I might even buy a back up????

jim h

30. oldsman71

oldsman71

most of us use all we can off donor cars, then offer the rest on h.a.m.b and to others befor we scrap it, I would say that is useing most of the buffalo!!