Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration >>>>> Friday Art Show 11/21/08 <<<<<

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GaryC., Nov 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Harpsboys4...take your time and study the art you want to emulate, notice the darks and the light areas on Pacheco's Merc, the light areas are called highlights, and they can make or break a drawing...Pacheco does that so very well...f nothing else, put that piece of art in front of you and try to draw it, keeping an eye on how it sits, the length of each fender, top or body and how the lights and darks make the car look longer and lower.

Now, here's another view of a Merc...I use lotsa fill lines, plus the solid blacks to get the lights and darks in my illustrations...

[​IMG]

Anyway, keep sketching, you've got a good start.

R-

2. ewt2

ewt2

Thanks Blackie! I've loved your stuff for years... Are they ever going to build The Idol?
    Thanks Jigger and Jez-h-r.
    Todd, Forty's right somebodies got to build that truck!!!

3. Mad Mark

Mad Mark

Thanks for the teaser Chuck. :rolleyes: Neat little shack you have been working on there.

4. Wow, this looks great. I thought it was a watercolor. Is it a photomanipulation with filters and such or is it done from scratch? How did you get the great watercolor look?

5. A bit late, but wanted to get a sketch up this week.
    A bit more traditional this week, just Prismacolor pencil and marker.
    Some crazy idea I had for a hotrod with motorcycle wheels, the rear two set right behind the car.

[​IMG]

6. scofflaw

scofflaw
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

Cool man. I like it

7. nutter

nutter

got a question for you all
    1 who uses a pc to draw & what program do you use
    2 who draws on paper then scans to pc
    Im intersted in drawing but for the life of me I cant do it on pc on paper its ok but you guys will show me up :D

8. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

Thanks! Its just playing with filters like you said. Im not super with photoshop, Im still using 3.0.5 on the mac & mostly just use it for making templates to trace over for the wire frame art for digitizing. You were pretty much right on, watercolor, waterpaper, and median filters. Just stumbled through it. Going to go down to Walgreens and have a few dozen printed off.

I may have to try some more with it, its really alot of fun....

9. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

when I do the Pure Stock Drags shirt, I draw the cars in pen & ink, then scan in photoshop, then adobe streamliner, then illustrator to color. drawing on screen is more accurate, but takes me longer as Im not past 95 in technology.....although I have CS, Ive not taken the time to learn the photoshopy pallets that started after illustrator 6. looking at the work, I may need to get one of those tablets and play.

10. Nutter,

Rule number one:

You need a wacom drawing tablet, it comes with the program: Painter Essentials (or a name very close to that), the way you draw Painter will be a natural to you, just select the pencils brush, pick a colour and start drawing. It'll take you a week to get used to the remote drawing position of the wacom (rule number two is don't give up) ... you'll never go back.

Do it....

today!!!!

11. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

Digging around in some Old Stuff, I found this patch that I did just after starting in the embroidery field in 87. I think the inspiration was that Mickey Mouse flipping the bird paper people used to put on windows when someone parked a car too close to theirs....about the "Mickey Mouse Parking Job." Ah..The 80s! This weeks thread is like the Way Back Machine!

[​IMG]

12. nutter, Go to F.A.S.T. and read through it, you'll get lots of ideas. As stated above,
    I just bought a Cintiq. It is a tablet you draw directly onto. Pretty much the entire U.S. animation industry is going to them. Steve is right tho, you ca pick up a Wacom Inuos3 pretty cheap. They will work on PC and Mac. I scan the line sketch in and color in Photoshop or scan in completed traditional medium illustration.

13. I do both. If you are drawing digitally, a wacom tablet, or better yet, a cintique is a must. I use mostly photoshop, but also play with sketchbook pro and painter.

14. Billy Ace

Billy Ace
    from casper, wy

How do you post to the Friday Art Show. I use Corel and a Wacom tablet. I also use an airbrush and brushes for conventional art. Thanks

Attached Files:

15. PACHECO

PACHECO

Wow I am amazed at all the talent on this board!
    Also thanks to ALL who sent a good word.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  16. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Wow Pacheco.....Hubba Hubba! She's HOT!!!!!!!
    Blackie- LOVE that Model A. That is nothing short of amazing!
    Jigger- Dig your stuff as always my friend. That Roadster is sweet, now if we could put Pacheco's lady behind the wheel! Hmmmmmmm!
    Jonnyrocknroll- That is really cool man!

17. Gabe that is killer...surprised the paper didn't catch on fire

18. carnutz

carnutz
    from florida

I'm new to drawing and to this board.I been sketching for about 1 year.I just not good at it but just think its a lot of fun.

I want to say thank you to all of you guys on here.
    You guys rock!
    I look forward to Fridays.

here a little sketch i did from the ed Roth plastic Chevy II
    figure.
    [​IMG]

19. fortypickup

fortypickup
    from Nebraska

Pacheco

Very nice change up from your pen & inks to the pencil! Great job with shading. Keep it up Man.

20. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

Damn, Pacheco, if that ain't your gal, then gimme a number cuz... I'm in LUUUV!

Attached Files:

• 061.gif
      061.gif
      File size:
      2.7 KB
      Views:
  21. PACHECO

PACHECO

Todd, Ken, fortypickup, safari-wagon - thanks a bunch!
    Ed (ewt) you are to blame for my hand hurting on this one! HaHa
    Safari - that is Dayna Deluxe...
    thanks again. Gabe

22. jimb0

jimb0
    BANNED

to the guy who did the bowling pins. - awesome. i would buy those from you.
    everybody else, great stuff as well. look forward to next friday!

23. fortypickup

fortypickup
    from Nebraska

Just having fun with the story board. Heres the preliminary cover. And yes Jigger the skull had go!

Attached Files:

24. nutter

nutter

thanks guys I will start looking today for the programs
    & I have to wate untill saturday here to see the drwaings as friday is saturday & thrusday is friday did that confuse you hehehe
    one moer thing WHAT is that rat doing to that poor car :eek:

25. stinsonart

stinsonart

Dang, Ed...I thought I was the only one who still used Streamline! I have an old G4 with OS 9 Classic, dedicated to doing nothing but Streamline. I do my work exactly as you do yours! My reason is that I like the "imperfect" line I get from using a 5.0 Staedtler MarsMatic pen and Daler - Rowney acrylic ink on Strathmore smooth bristol paper.

I scan and open in Streamline and hit Command R. This redraws my piece in vector, reproducing my thick/thin line work, which allows me to retain that "hand-drawn" look. I save it as an .ai, burn it onto a CD, and launch the art into Photoshop with that tight vector line intact. Then I color the piece in Photoshop, but I do any lettering in Illustrator. That's how this piece was done!

Bill

[​IMG]

26. Still using streamline 4 here too, been using it since version 2. But I run a quad processor G5 so I can just open classic right along side my OSX apps and copy and paste from streamline to Freehand or Photoshop.

27. Yeah Ed & Steve & Bill; I still use old faithfull Streamline as well for some of my stuff. Why do you take the intermediate step of burning onto CD Bill? To port from Mac Classic to another Mac or to PC or what? Maybe you could try using a USB memory-stick for that?

28. NotStockPhoto

NotStockPhoto

I know these are off topic car wise, but I just shot these last night for a guy who is having me make a book of his car collection. Pretty much out of the camera with just some slight exposure tweaks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. BiggMike

BiggMike

Nice stuff this week guys. One more thing from me. I print one off shirts and this is a couple I did foer my dad and a couple friends.

MIke

Attached Files:

30. wait.... you pencilled that...?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.