Register now to get rid of these ads!

1949, 1950, 1951 Mercury Pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Boones, Jul 3, 2007.

1. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Yeah I watched that build on the Black Mountain or Black Magic or whatever shop in the midwest. Really nice work but the 80s Caddy lights and whack flames did me in. Niiiiiice work tho! Real nice work!

2. 1950merc

1950merc
    from Butler, PA

Nothing compared to some others in the thread, but she's mine. Hope to do a full resto someday.

Attached Files:

3. Luckythirteen

Luckythirteen

Here's my '51:

...a humble beginning...

Attached Files:

1morecarIpromise! likes this.
  4. Mercury Wayne

Mercury Wayne
    BANNED
    from Arizona

5. firemangordy

firemangordy

Merc 1.jpg
    Buried treasure.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
  6. xl1ken

xl1ken

Thanks

I have started a 1949 - 1951 merc only album of my photos on my site. I cannot and will not include any of the photos here. I will however include a link to this very extensive thread.

My album is very much a work in progress. I have many many more photos to add but it will take time.

Here is the link to my fledgling album:

http://www.pbase.com/xl1ken/4951_mercs

Ken

7. 51 mercules

51 mercules

My 51 project.Sacramento or bust!

Attached Files:

1morecarIpromise! and 1947knuck like this.
  8. ratster

ratster

quote=Bad Bob; Haven't seen a 5 and 7 chop that looked good yet. When you go more than 5" it looses it's flow in the rear,to me. I have a pic of one chopped 7",and it looks bad. Roofs too low. Dick Dean told me once that a balanced chop should be 1/2 the height of the door. A third,you know. I'll see if I can find the pic.

hey Bob, my merc is chopped 5.5 and 7.5 and there is no dip like your talking about.

[​IMG]

9. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

Whats the differance in 49,50,and 51 mercs?school me

10. I'd like to see some more pic's! The example pic I posted might just be a bad job. Yours might just be an exception. But...I still think 5" is the max...

11. Assuming you're serious...
    49 and 50's are very similar. Different dash,side markers,rear window(same shape but the 49 is three-piece). The 51 has the same dash as the 50. Different grill,bumpers,taillights,rear fenders,rear window.

12. agent12

agent12

to me it looks like the difference between Bad Bobs example of the dip and Ratsters is the glass looks to be pushed foward a few inches. I agree lets see some more pics!

JR

13. 7" chop..........

Attached Files:

14. agent12

agent12

Well Now thats a differnet story, I think the argument Bob was making was 7 inches on the stock back window. That removable top with the tiny back window avoids the problem completely.

Its amazing too the difference without the pilars and the door tops. that chop only looks to be 4-5 inches

15. Also started slopping up to the roof right from the edge of the trunk lid so it'a a very smooth transition.

16. Special Ed

Special Ed

Here's a couple for you.

Attached Files:

17. All came with flatheads, but a '51 could have an automatic trans.

18. Carguy1965

Carguy1965
    from Illinois

Here is Gene Winfield at the 2006 James Dean Run in Fairmount IN. He made the grille on this car. Also another car with an unusual side mirror treatment.

Attached Files:

19. John Denich

John Denich

The one with the bad mirrors is just bad!!!! WTF are people thinking!!!

20. Special Ed

Special Ed

Yeah, that's not exactly the smoothest idea I've seen.

21. My god. I love Mercs, but the blue one is from a cartoon or something?

22. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

LOL IM with you brother!

23. IMHO, when chopping a Merc the hardest thing is the transition from the trunk line, rear deck to window and roof. There has been some pretty bad jobs done. It's not just chop, drop and lean the window over.

24. Unusual mirror treatment? You're being way too kind! That looks like shit!!! Can't put it any other way...

25. There's more than just that! The quarter windows,the B pillar(slant/no slant),rain gutters or no rain gutters. When there's so many nice chrome mirrors out there,why would a guy use 80-90's,Mustang mirrors?

26. LOL. What quarter windows, what B pillar, what rain gutters? No way, not on my car!
    Actually, I thought the mirror treatment looked like poop, but the I turned my monitor off and it's not so bad. Poor guy probably paid good maney to have it done too...............

27. ratster

ratster

bob, your right about most of the mercs chopped hard. we looked at a bunch of mercs and that was one thing we didn't like about hard chops.

28. downunder55

downunder55
    from australia

IMG_1441.jpg heres a couple of mates cars, taken on the weekend at the hot rod nationals.

IMG_1442.jpg

29. fiftyfiveford

fiftyfiveford

Obviously you guys don't get it, the goal is to take the part that most people try to make unobtrusive, and make it the focus of your car, like the chrome gas tank door thing :rolleyes: