Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs show me your chopped 46-48 Ford Tudors.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ace Brown, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

kicking the idea of chopping my '48 project...just another thing to add to the build length i suppose. Was looking at it as it's lowered, and i'm thinking it needs chopped to be in proportion. nothing too wild to lose the overall flow, especially in the decklid area. i'm thinking a max of 3". They do look good "as is", as i know some of you will say. I agree! I've seen some severe chops that lose all proportion and look "wonky", for lack of a better word. Especially the flow from decklid to roof with way too much chop. But i have seen a few that look excellent. I'd like to see those. Rikster??

searched around, found a few posts but most of the photos were moved or deleted by photobucket, and old posts that were one page long with 2 pictures. lots of coupes too, but i'd like to see some nicely chopped tudors. maybe i missed it. attached is the '48 in progress. thanks!
    -ace

Attached Files:

• a.jpg
      a.jpg
      File size:
      35.5 KB
      Views:
  2. BigChief

BigChief

Chopping these cars is akin to shortening up a well built amazon woman.....you end up with a short chic with a huge ass, big arms and a man-ly face.

There's only one fat fender tudor I've seen that looks good chopped. I seen it at the the HB Donut Derelect cruise-in two years ago. I think its red or orangish in color...can't remember. I'll try to track down some pics. The windshield was layed back a little bit, the rear window/sail panels were all re-worked, the hood was pie cut, nosed and decked....the work was subtle and the car looked GREAT. Other than THAT ONE EXAMPLE all other chopped fat fenders have proportions that are all out of whack.......just my opinion, of course.

Let me see what I can find for pics. Maybe somebody here Knows that car.....

-Bigchief.

chopitdano likes this.
  3. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

i appreciate your input, and you're right on PROPORTIONS my friend. this is exactly why i said i wouldn't chop it more than 3 inches. any more and the rear suffers...maybe i like big ugly chicks with fat asses? nah...

4. 'Mo

'Mo

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
    Atwater Mike likes this.

5. JackShaft

JackShaft

Rikster to the rescue!

Once again I must draw on the master's skills when it comes to photoshop. Here is a link to his post in the Photoshop Dreams thread. Showing a 40 Ford Tudor chopped in two different styles. If you can make that happen in steel you sir are a ruler!

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3143557&postcount=24

-Andy

*Edit*
    In my own personal opinion I have to say I prefer the second photochop but I wouldn't shave the driprail, since I feel it takes away some of the flow of the chop. It'll be more defined with the driprail intact/modified.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  6. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

Thanks very much 'Mo, wonder if the verticle cut was so that the whole rear section could be leaned forwar? that's pretty major. The red one looks pretty sweet. wish there were a side shot of that.

JackShaft, thanks for the link! I agree with the drip rail, i'm planning on keeping it. i prefer the look but have seen some nice shaved rails. This one will retain the drip rail though. Funny thing, i was toying with using those flipper caps, and desoto bumpers so over all the car would look similar to that (except its 8 years older), and i have already rounded the door tops. too cool!

I like them both really. i was just discussing with my dad how a chopped hard-topped sedan would look. pretty cool to see it looks good.

Keep the pictures coming if anyone has any more. Thanks again guys
    -ace

7. koolkemp

koolkemp

8. 'Mo

'Mo

I suspect that the vertical fender cut was to bring the rear forward (rather than slanting), rather than stretching the top as it came down.

(koolkemp; If I run across the article, I will let you know.)

9. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

Ah yes i see what you mean now 'Mo. I've been out playing in the shop with the green tape :). i think i have an idea. i'll post it here when i get the pictures.

and again, any other photos i'd love to see them.
    -ace

10. koolkemp

koolkemp

(koolkemp; If I run across the article, I will let you know.)[/quote]

That would be great, cause I cant find it!

11. garagerods

garagerods
    from Omaha

Attached Files:

12. garagerods

garagerods
    from Omaha

I know, I know it's a coupe.......but it's still cool!!

13. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

yep...now if only i had a coupe i'd be all set!

14. koolkemp

koolkemp

HAha!! I was just looking at the 1001 custtom and rod ideas magazine(or what ever it is called) that I bought in 1977 when I was 12 that has Sams coupe on the cover! I still love that car over 30 yrs later, its timeless. One of the first full traditional customs that sparked a life long love of customs...I must have looked over the pics in that article a hundred times before I was even 16 yrs old:)

15. Rikster

Rikster

I think the 46-48 Ford two door... or four door could look very good chopped. But its a hard chop to get right. I have seen a few.. and most of them just dont look right to me. The rear of the top never flows the way a non chopped sedan looks.
    One day I will have time to do a nice Photoshopped version of a sedan as a period custom from back in the late 40's...

here are two that have some nice chops... as far as I can tell from the photos.
    I might have a few more.. but I'm still looking. And the chopped four door that is spoken about.. I know the article as well... Think it is Custom Rodder as mentioned. When I have time I will look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Wow, I really like that pearl one.

17. koolkemp

koolkemp

One day I will have time to do a nice Photoshopped version of a sedan as a period custom from back in the late 40's...

If you could do that especially a 4 door Rikster that would be awsome!!!

here are two that have some nice chops... as far as I can tell from the photos.
    I might have a few more.. but I'm still looking. And the chopped four door that is spoken about.. I know the article as well... Think it is Custom Rodder as mentioned. When I have time I will look.

I have gone through just about all my issues, there may be a few in the wrong boxes but I have had no luck finding the article

I agree that pearl white tudor looks beautiful, even though I am more partial to the late 40's style.

18. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

Chad, you just like the big "dubs" behind it...don't lie to us :p

Rik, thanks for those photos. i agree with the flow. i'm thinking 3 " and i can lean the back window down and it won't be too much of a visual killer.

If you have any photos of one from the side i'd love to see it. Thanks again!
    -ace

19. kustoms2

kustoms2

Hey guys the pearl white car that rikster posted the pic of my dad did the chop on for a guy here in town named Dave Tayler, him and his brother own Taylers custom street rods here in Monroe,Ohio. I have pics of the whole chop and there is a real easy way to chop these cars so that it doesn't end up with the big butt look. I'll have to see if I have the pics or my dad does.

20. 416Ford

416Ford

I took 3" out of mine and leaned the back window in. It have heard of people taking the 3" out of the trunk area but everything would have to get dropped.
    I cut mine above the deck lid and and pie cut the sides to lay it back down.
    I would not call this a great chop but I am happy with it.
    [​IMG]

21. koolkemp

koolkemp

That would be great:D I am waiting with my sawzall!!!!!

22. brandon

brandon

can it be done without getting a little flat on top...? :D

23. Fat Hack and I were discusing this yesterday, The white one is a nice a chop as I have ever seen on one, but they all look a little like an ambulance. Mine will stay full height until I see a really good one, or I replace it with a biz coupe body.

24. koolkemp

koolkemp

That would be great, if you could post the pics!!

25. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

i agree, i'd love to see the photos of the pearl one in progress!!

416 ford, looks pretty good. did you have to add a strip across the top or did you lean the A pillars back?

here's a rough idea of what i was thinking so it doesn't get a strip anywhere. One tricky spot i can see is the package tray. the trunk hinges are attached to it. i'd have to figure out a way around that. any suggestions?

The thick green is 3". the thin stuff is only to show where a slice would be made. on the rear quarter window, a section the length of the distance the top moves forward is cut out and slid forward, this way i don't have to lean the a pillar back. the rear window would then be either laid down, or slid down closer to the decklid, but again the hinges of the trunk make it hard to cut through anywhere. And, these are rough tape marks, nothing is exactly lined up.

this way i'm thinking makes the rear area look funny, unless i only go 2" and it won't be as drastic slope. i have a book on top chops and there's a '40 in there that's chopped 6"! :eek: and it really doesn't look too terrible. subtle is what i'm after.

Love to see the chop build on that pearl one. thanks!
    -ace

Attached Files:

26. kustoms2

kustoms2

I am trying to locate the pics my dad had them last and of coarse he put them some where that he would not lose them.:rolleyes: I know he actually moved the deck lid forward and took a small section out of the rear fenders. It leaves the factory shape of the roof line and you really don't even notice the fenders being shorter. I know that guys have sat for hours trying to figure out how it was done and they had no luck. God my dad is going to shoot me for letting his secret out! :eek: If I can help someone out he won't be to mad maybe he'll just take a finger.;) As soon as they show up I'll post them for a small fee.:D

27. brandon

brandon

i was thinking shorter quarters and frame....:eek:

28. 416Ford

416Ford

Brandon, If I remember correctly (13 Years ago) I cut the RED areas and dropped the back window down on a slant. I had to replace the drip rails after.
    I did not lean the front pillars, I added a strip. Mine had to be reroofed due to a wild idea I had about a sun roof that did not work out.

Attached Files:

29. kustoms2

kustoms2

Actually I can't remember what it changes on the quarters but I know the frame does not get touched at all. Check back later tonight, I am going over to his house for dinner and maybe by then he will remember where he put them

30. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

i sure appreciate all the input guys. I think between 2 and 3" is definitely where i'll be going.

the pictures would help immensely. i'm having trouble wrapping my brain around where a verticle cut in the rear would move things forward...been a long week.

thanks again.