Register now to get rid of these ads!

What crosses a person's mind when they see our cars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, Nov 12, 2008.

1. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

AMEN !! happens ALL over !

2. RodStRace

RodStRace

I don't know what goes through women's minds, and I don't know what goes through a non-car person's mind.

My SO tells me and anyone else nearby that I'm a car nazi. I can live with that.....

3. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

I came out of the grocery store a few weeks ago and this 70 something year old woman is circling my car. She asked me all about it then circled a couple more times, thanked me for letting her look it over and told me to have fun with it to which I replied "I already do, every time I drive it!". Most people smile and wave, point, shout, etc. I can't imagine what it would be like if it was actually nice but maybe I get the reactions I do because people see it around a lot and get a kick out the fact that it gets driven often and not just when the weather is nice. It's a lot more "approachable" than most restorations or show cars they see. They look at mine and it's the way they remembered them "way back when".

4. What does the first sentence have to do with the last sentence?

Sorry,
    Kurt

5. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I get a kick out of the old dude in a new vette, getting whip lash as he drives by my car. I had a lady in a new Escalade pull up next to me at a signal, roll down her window to tell me what a nice car I had.

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Damn "Vette guys". I luv 'em.:D

7. It is funny how many times I'll be driving my 63 riviera and somebody with a pt cruiser will pull up and ask what the color codes on my car is so they can paint their pt cruiser that way....I have yet to give them the correct codes...when I am driving my panel truck I am sure they wonder if I have insurance since it's not all shiny yet

8. tweakman

tweakman

The first day I had my T-bucket, I felt very conspicuous sitting at a stop light when a motorcycle cop pulled up next to me. Polished jackboots, mirror shades and helmet, he gave me a hard look and I almost wet myself. Then he flashed a big grin and said "wanna drag?" It was all good after that.

FRANK GRELLE likes this.
  9. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

In June 1962 we drove from Michigan to California in a 1956 Olds.

10. squirrel

squirrel

In june 63 we drove from Minnesota to Arizona in a 57 Plymouth. I was 2, so I didn't get any wheel time.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. JEPPA

JEPPA

My car ain't cool yet but I still get this.

12. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

Vette guys suck arse.

13. talker

talker

My car is a 54 Ford customline 2 door lt blue&white 355 sbc .Most of the peoplewho see it say i wish that was mine,:)

14. "is that the car from Cobra?" ALL THE TIME!....

15. HUMBLE....hmm,Good trait to have!

16. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

That and:

"Gas guzzler!"

From my experience, everyone either owned or knew someone that owned either a 1977-1979 Cougar or Thunderbird.

I have a 1979 Cougar XR7. Long story..., visit my website. I try to keep it nice. I store it in the winter. I don't usually drive it in in-climate weather, but in the past couple months, it served me well when my daily driver was in the shop. To say that it gets a lot of "wtf?" looks when I drive it back and forth to work at 8 AM or 5 PM is an understatement. I feel kind of like a Hindenburg in regular rush-hour traffic.

What gets me is the people that want to compare it to some old car they owned at one time that is not even remotely linked to mine...ah well...:D

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  17. My '37 Terraplane always gets the looks, and a LOT of wrong guesses as to what it is! I have had it called a '36 Ford, a '38 Chevy, and just about every other 1936 through 1940 car you can imagine. Never mind, it says "TERRAPLANE" on the grille ornament and on the trunk lid ornament...oh, yeah, and on all four hubcaps, too. My favorite is "Who built Hudsons?" and "Who built Terraplanes?"...uh, little elves did. Thanks!

My '66 Coronet gets the "Is that an R/T?" - no, they came out in '67...or "Hey dude, I like your RoadRunner/Chevelle/GTO/Plymouth!"...it's a Coronet, but thanks. Another one is "My dad had one exactly like it with a 440 Hemi that would go nines in the quarter, right off the street!"...yeah, OK, the Hemi was a 426, and the 440 RB block came out in the B-body in 1967, but, uh, thanks!

My wife's '78 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham (not a HAMBer car, but WTF, over? It's mine!) gets the most bizarre looks! It is as long as my Dodge Cummins Club Cab pickup, and we always get the "what kinda mileage do you get with that?" to which I reply "Why do you ask? Are you gonna buy the next tankful for me?", which usually shuts them up. Pulling up alongside a Prius or a Smart Fortwo is always fun. I can one of those in my trunk! Plus, they look at me like I'm killing the planet, but their "earth-friendly" POS has already used FAR MORE raw materials to build and import than the New Yorker has used in its entire lifetime so far!!! And that's a fact!

Can't wait to get the '58 Chevy wagon going! Woo-hoo!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  18. onelowponcho

onelowponcho

I agree 100%, but you got to include beaners :)

19. Not that long ago a neighbour a few blocks over and I were talking about this same question. We live in an upscale suburb with lots of BMWs, Benz and Lexus that people think are impressive. He drives his '62 Impala, smoothed, flaked and on hydraulics. The people go by with their nose up and won't bid him the time of day. But when he puts it in away and brings out his Testarosa they instantly become his freind. He bought the Ferrari for his wife when they won a lottery. We both love tormenting the neighbours.

20. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

How can you see around the motor ? Does he know how much fuel cost ? How do you keep rear tires on it .How do you get in the thing .Are you going to paint it. What kind of army tank did the rear end come out of ? Do the cops mess with you ? How do you drive it so low .
    That was at the gas station over the week end My 2 cents

21. Last summer while driving the 51 I stopped at a Quick Mart. When I came back out there was a new Expencive Import something parked on my driver side. The Woman sitting in the Passenger seat was about My age and looked well kept. Her window was down and She was looking right at me from the time I came out of the store and watched as I reached inside to Open my door. She smiled and said "that's a nice Ford" with the Look on my face she then said "I know it's a Ford, probably a 50 and that's tuck-n-roll upholstry" . I shut my door and asked if she wanted to take a ride down Memmorie lane? She smiled again and said She just did. I got a kick out of thinking that latter that night while her Old Man was Boinkin her She's going to be thinking of her Old Boy Friend with the 50 Ford.
    The Wizzard

FRANK GRELLE likes this.
  22. talker

talker

My 54 Ford gustomline was not in cobra I purchassed the car totaly stock in dec 2007 in New Orleans

23. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

He said beaners!

24. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

In reality, how often do you fill it up?

People think that because I have on 'old' car, I spend a fortune in gas, (ex. in the '79 Cougar--28 gallon tank of 91+), but since I really don't drive it much, a couple tanks of premium gas over the course of the summer, doesn't break me....

It's all relative, I guess.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  25. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

26. It gets a no-shit, real-world 20 mpg on the highway with the 440, and around 16 in-town. We run a couple of tanks in it per Summer (26.5 US gallons), so it isn't a big deal. I want to drive it to Colorado next Summer is fuel isn't stupid crazy expensive like this last Summer! It's such a cool cruiser!

I dig wagons, so I got the '58 Chevy to play with over the Winter. Big cars rock!

27. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

when im in the 53 its
    thata 53 or 54...or
    wow, look at all the shit leakin under that old car...or
    i had one of those when i was young, but it was a ford. huh????

and when im in the van its....
    why the hell you driven that thing?
    or...
    what kinna candy? ;)

FRANK GRELLE likes this.
  28. Abomination

Abomination

Driver: "Taking a trip?"
    Bronson: "What's that?"
    Driver: "Taking a trip?"
    Bronson: "Yeah."
    Driver: "Where to?"
    Bronson: "Oh, I don't know. Wherever I end up, I guess."
    Driver: "Pal, I wish I was you."
    Bronson: "Really?"
    Driver: "Yeah."
    Bronson: "Well, hang in there."

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0SJyMx3p6vo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0SJyMx3p6vo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

~Jason

29. I'm laughing that you retained the knowledge of the piece of shit I leased.:D

30. think about it