Register now to get rid of these ads!

Happy Veteran's Day

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KutlassKim, Nov 10, 2008.

1. hupster

hupster
    from california

It's great that people say thanks these days. Not so much a while back.
    USN 1965-1969

2. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Im glad you finally got some thanks, you guys deserve every bit of thanks this world can muster.
    Rat, that was well said. Im having a few beers for my mates, and yours today at the RSL.
    Its funny, even now I dont tell anyone here in Australia about my service. We are just a few rungs above the Vietnam war sentiment regarding soldiers.
    Many times we were no permitted to wear uniform off base due to ill feeling toward us. I have seen protesters at most all ANZAC day and Remembrance day events. I have been spat at and called every name under the sun and the soldiers, sailors and airmen of Australia are still copping that now.
    I am proud of what I did for my country, maybe in 30 years these people will see the error of their ways?
    Doc.

3. Doc, that's the only thing they can't take away from us. From one Vet to another you have not only my thanks but respect. Lets hope it doesn't take 30 years. Its way overdue.

4. 51NINETYEIGHT

51NINETYEIGHT
    BANNED

Thank you to everybody who served this great country of ours, much respect to all of you. Im gonna have to call my pops tomorrow, wish I could call my grandpa and thank him too.

5. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you mate, Its funny how much that can mean coming from someone I have not YET meet. Hats off to you brother and down the hatch with another beer for you.
    Doc.

6. Thank you very much. I need to hear that every so often.

Vietnam 65 and 67

7. Fishtail8

Fishtail8

I'd like to thank the Canadian's, Americians, Brits, Aussie's, and anyone who's laid their life on the line... or given their life so that I can be able to sit here and type on the HAMB today. You all are hero's, even if you don't think so.

8. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

A true day for reflection, honour those no longer with us, and those who put themselves in danger every day.
    <O:p</O:p
    It is 90 years since the cessation of hostilities in WWI there are 3 of the remaining 4 (<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[​IMG]Uk</st1:country-region>) Veterans present at a special parade later today in <st1:City w:st="on">London.</st1:City>
    Our thanks goes to all.

Still serving in a (Civilian) way
    C Coy 5<SUP>th</SUP> Btn LI
    Rtp (V) 264 SAS Signal Sqn

9. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

To all our veterans a big thanks from me and my family for your services to our country!! Also to my cousins that are currently serving stay safe and we will see you guys soon.

10. Fish Tank

Fish Tank

Made this in Photochop, figured I'd save space and search before I posted a thread and Kim beat me to it..lol

AMS3 Jef Mayes USN
    HSL-34 Greencheckers
    '87-'91 Desert Storm
    Structure Mech, Doorgunner, Wise-Ass.

[​IMG]

One quick story though. When I got back, first port we hit before going on into Norfolk,VA was Port Everglades,FL. We stopped there so the boat could refuel so us Airdales got off the boat to go into town.
    At the bottom of the gangway was a parked gray van with the side door open.
    A card table was set up and an elderly man and woman were standing by it.
    As we walked past, they would hand each sailor two beers, Milwaukee's Best, I'll never forget it. And they would hand it to ya and say a simple "Thank you".
    I didn't even get their names, but that doesn't diminish my memory of them.

Cheers!
    Jef

11. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I can relate, I processed out of Ft. Lewis Wash. in 1970 back from RVN. Two other guys and myself catch the earliest flight out of SeaTac to Denver, about 7A.M., flying military standby. Couldn't have been 25-30 passengers, tops, that early. As we walk down the jetway to get on the plane, one of the stewardess's says: "it looks like we overbooked" (yeah right;)) "we'll have to put you guys in first class." Free eats and all the screwdrivers I could slam down at 30,000 feet, I arrived a happy camper.:D I'm sure it was all the stewardess's doing and have often wondered if they realized what that small gesture meant to 3 war weary G.I.s. Still a great memory almost 40 yrs. later.

12. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Semper Paratus

U S Coast Guard

1967-1971
    USCGC Gentian
    USLASTA Eufaula
    USCGC Blackthorn

Thanks to all who have served and to all who are serving.

13. To me, serving was and still is just part of being an American I guess. Never much thought about it any other way. Some decide to serve, some don't but that's also part of the American way of life. Being able to make that decision is part of what so many have served to protect and defend. Happy Veteran's day to all other fellow Vets.
    TSgt, USAF 1971-79
    US Army Civil Servant - 1984-present

14. rustrustler

rustrustler

To all my brothers and sisters, fair winds and following seas.Mike Eberhardt EM3C USS DeSoto County LST1171 1964-1968

15. Speed King

Speed King
    from Omaha

Thanks to all for what you do- God Bless America

Attached Files:

16. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

You are very welcome and thank you for the supprto.

17. 48bill

48bill

You are very welcome. To the memory of those who are not with us today.

Absent brothers, Thank you.

US Army 66-69

18. bustedlifter

bustedlifter

A big thanks to all our vets from an early '80's wingnut.

19. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

USAF 66-70. Hickam AFB, Honolulu HI. Some of the best times of my life. Thanks to all others who served.

20. Big Tony

Big Tony

Most definatly a day to reflect and Thank those who put their lives on the line for our freedom.

Also today is the 233rd Birthday of the Marines..... Hoooorrah

21. Big T

Big T
    from Florida

Happy Veteran's Day. Thank you to all who have served and those who continue to do so that we might have the freedoms we enjoy today. Freedom is not free.
    [​IMG]

22. HotRod33

HotRod33

Thanks to all the veterans without them we probably wouldn't be able to enjoy everything we have today.......Thanks

23. PoPo

PoPo

Today is a day that hits hard. I have been in the Army Reserves for near 8 years now. I went to Iraq in 2004, learned more in that year about life then all the years combined.

I started the family and wanted to change my job from just an MP to be an MP instructor to teach troops how to be great. Well in doing so I had to leave my "guys". I have been teaching for 18 months now in the reserves. But what sucks was watching my "guys" going back over, they are currently awaiting clearance at Ft. Dix and are one week out from getting back on that plane for hell.

My prayers are with all and especially the 339 MP CO, along with my battle (Jason Sutton). May god be your shield, since I can't be this time.

Wow, just got a tear so I need to stop.

Today is GREAT, Thank you everyone!!

[​IMG]

and my man Sutton, we earned it together and we lived it together.
    [​IMG]

24. Your welcome. US Navy 1982-2003

25. Classic52

Classic52

· 1921 - An unknown World War I American soldier was buried in Arlington National Cemetery. Similar ceremonies occurred earlier in England and France, where an unknown soldier was buried in each nation's highest place of honor (in England, Westminster Abbey; in France, the Arc de Triomphe). <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    · These memorial services all took place on November 11, the anniversary of the end of World War I at 11:00 a.m., November 11, 1918 (the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month), which became known as Armistice Day.<o:p></o:p>
    · 1926 - Congress invited all Americans to observe Armistice Day, and then officially made it a national holiday in 1938. <o:p></o:p>
    · On June 1, 1954, the name was changed to Veterans Day to honor all U.S. Veterans.<o:p></o:p>
    · 1968 - New legislation changed the national commemoration of Veterans Day to the fourth Monday in October. However, it soon became apparent that November 11 was a date of historic significance to many Americans so in 1978 Congress returned the observance to its traditional date.
    USN-1970-1978 SS/DV/TM
    A veteran - whether "Honorably" Discharged, Active Duty, Retired, National Guard, or Reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'<o:p></o:p>

26. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks for the kind words! And just remember, Veterans Days is for the LIVING. WhooRah to all my fellow Brothers In Arms!

SSgt. Kevin Tully
    U.S.Army 1988-89
    U.S.A.F. 1989-2006
    U.S.A.F. Special Operations 1995-2003

Desert Shield
    Desert Storm
    Operation Southern Watch, 3 tours
    Operation Support Justice

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  27. magnet

magnet

Hooah fellas..

Big ups to the guys in service ... you all rock.

US Army '86 -'90 1st Cav

28. Dennis the Menace

Dennis the Menace

Yes, HAPPY VETERANS DAY to all Veterans.
    Dennis Hemingway
    U.S. Navy, DT3
    Vietnam Vet
    Apollo 11 Recovery Team
    USS Hornet CVS 12

Attached Files:

29. jammon3

jammon3
    from STL

Thanks to my brothers and sisters in arms!

US Army 89-92 and 02-05

30. PRIMERDAVE

PRIMERDAVE

you are very welcome...and thank you(everyone) for all the kind words.....U.S.Army 1979-1991
    82nd Airborne 79-83
    25 ID 83-84
    2nd ID 84-85
    7th Army USAEUR 85-89
    1st ID 89-91
    Panama Police action
    Desert Shield/Storm

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008