Register now to get rid of these ads!

Has anyone polished out Acid Rain spots on windows??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shaggy, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I have spots that look like waterspots on my windows on my 64 camino that will not wipe off with anything. So I figure they must be etched into the glass.

Can these be buffed out? if so what does everyone suggest for abrasives?? Doesnt need to be perfect, just would like to improve it a little

2. troylee

troylee

My buddy works at an auto glass co. , they use polishing compound and a cupped cloth wheel. He called it glass rouge. I guess it is similar to what jewlers use. It worked to get out wiper blade scratches.

3. whid

whid

i do furniture repair and deal with alot of glass and mirror.try #0000 steel wool we do it all the time wont scratch it. good luck................................dave

4. Searcher

Searcher

I have a KW truck and the windows were spoted from being in cement plants when I bought it. I used some stuff that was kinda like talcum powder called " Spot X " it was for removing hard water stains.
    It worked pretty good. I applied it a couple times, and like I said it's just a fine like talcum powder and you make a paste with it.

I heard of using the fine steel wool too like was mentioned.

They will come out...the main ingredient is elbow grease...

5. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

Ditto... 0000 steel wool with a glass cleaner or other liquid for lube. Works for me

6. lthrneck

lthrneck

Use can use Bon Ami too, doesn't scratch but you do have to rinse well. Seems harder to find in stores then it used to be.

7. Neglected Steel

Neglected Steel

Mothers mag and aluminum polish. Odd but, It Really Works!!

8. noboD

noboD

Single edged razor blade and window cleaner.

9. dagenesta

dagenesta

10. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

As for chemical cleaners, i've tried everything, gas, laquer thinner, brake fluid and even a few glass cleaners, it actually is in the glass,

Thanks for the ideas i'll try some

11. J&JHotrods

J&JHotrods

Just about any car polish compound will work. Lots of elbow grease or a buffer will do the trick.

12. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

When I detail a car the glass gets fine cut buffed. Removes the junk that chemicals won't touch. Good luck

13. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

if you decide on the razor blade technique, make sure it's a brand new one or else you'll scratch the shit out of your glass! ask me how i know! besides , the stain is in the glass, not on the glass. probably not going to work anyway, but i know your going to, if you have'nt already tried it!

14. Never Dull & a lot of elbow grease. Some one also makes a waterspot remover. Our local PPG glass distributor sells it.

15. I use a product called "auto glass water spot remover" 43 years doing autoglass I've never found anything close. no elbow grease involved