Register now to get rid of these ads!

I've been offered a teaching position, I wonder if I should take it.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BISHOP, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Good benefits are worth a chunk. Insurance, pension, etc. You'll never know unless you try it. Go for it-you're no spring chicken. Good luck.

2. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

There is much great advice here. Personally, I live by the adage of "if you love what you do, it isn't work".

That being said, teaching is definitely work. Many students today have abandonment issues, and when you are gone from work, they go nuts. THey don't know why, they just do.

Personally, if I had the skills and knowledge to teach something like that, I'd absolutely take the opportunity and run with it. The money isn't great, but you'll be able to use the facilities at your convenience as well.

And... those "Aha!" teaching moments... I live for those.

Bottom line is that whatever you do will be up to you.

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

All of the above! Also--you have secret powers, as a custom builder, that many of the kids will appreciate. Use said powers as a tool...kids put in some good time learning to bang dents out of worthless econo cars and paint over shopping-cart scrapes, they get some time on the interesting stuff a regular body guy can't teach...show them how to modify, metalflake, pinstripe, etc. If they don't have access to a car to modify, let them put their tool boxes into tangerine candy paint with frenched latches. This will set the hook in all but the terminally mindless/depraved ones.

4. Ramblur

Ramblur

I'm forever in debt to those that primed my passion...
    (35 yrs. after the fact)
    [​IMG]

5. auto shop

auto shop
    from kentucky

Go for it. I have been an automotive instructor for eleven years and it is a great job. There is noting better than having a student come back after graduation and thank you for making a difference in their life. We need all the motor heads that we can get. To keep them interested just drive a hot rod to school and they are putty in your hand Good luck.

6. Sorry I couldn't give more in the last post- I was at school:D (but my kiddies were gone)

Look into your district; what they offer, salary, insurance, benefits, etc.

Also talk with the principal about your class- you may be able to set up different levels, where the students have to pass one to take the other (sorry, there is a technical term for this, but I'm running on just a few hrs sleep- new baby:rolleyes:). That way, if you do get a few knucklheads, you have a way to keep them out of your future classes (I taught music history and AP music theory for a high school and this tool was INVALUABLE as the kids who wanted to take theory HAD to work hard to get in, and the history class didn't get loaded with every kid that didn't want to take anything else).

I also agree with the other guys- if you set it up right, the students will love what they're doing, making your job a joy AND you get the perks of the equipment!

Lastly, too many of these kids lack a positive male influence in their lives. You can make a HUGE impact by simply setting a good example for them. It will take time for many of them to change (character issues always take time), but when you see the result of your efforts, you will really understand what a joy teaching can be.

Keep us up to date and best of luck!

Bill

7. Ramblur- which one are you???

8. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Nothing to lose everything to gain - the big Hot Rodder above has given you an opportunity - I say take it!!!!

9. my life, finished a BS in Voc ED at 42 year old, had my own shop at that time, interviewed and did not like any of the administrators , so I thought i would not have to put up w crap:eek: , but might starve, and went back to my own shop, worked hard and made a lot of money and did my own thing and am not sorry about it

If you want to deal with it all it may be for you, you wont know unless you try it
    if you want to conform to others it may be the way to go
    got friends teaching and they cant wait to get out

10. BISHOP

BISHOP

Ive got to say I didnt expect this much positive feedback. Some good, some bad. Im really not sure what I want to do yet,I talk to the school admin. tomorow, and then check out the facility. From what I understand the school has spent a ton of money on equipment, booth, mixing system, ect.
    I wasnt sure if I should even call, but now I know I will. At the least get all the info and see what happens. Thanks everyone who gave the time and great advise. You are all teachers in your own right, but you know that already. Thanks a million guys.
    Ill let ya know what is said tomorow. Later, BISHOP

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  11. Ramblur

Ramblur

Haha.I'm all the way in the back next to the teach"MoonMan" Murray.This was jr.high,The pink over black 57 Olds was destroyed a few years later in a
    Dairy Queen parking lot incident involving a classmate doing a burnout in a
    68 Chevelle(he had it in reverse):rolleyes:. The rear axle still lives under my 57 Chevy
    delivery and we transfered the rest of the good stuff over to another 57 Olds
    and had it back on the road within a year.Its still owned by the kid standing
    in front of me in the pic.
    [​IMG]

12. PollockzRodz

PollockzRodz

Hell I say go for it. Im just a kid at 17 but there are a ton of others out there like me with the hot rod blood in there vains that you will get the joys of teaching. I never got to go to the vocational school because the teachers wouldnt let me without repeating a grade so I just dropped out of high school and do my own thing but the teacher at the votech school had his students redoing his 1932 ford hot rod and he was a real cool guy to talk with. Just wish they woulda let me into his class but hey you can be that cool teacher with the hot rod and when you need something fixed youve got a group of kids that will do what you teach them to!

13. How'd you like being in "The Monkees":D???

14. 972toolmaker

972toolmaker
    from Garland Tx

Tried new jobs and challenges my whole life. Some worked out better than others,it'all good. Dont live life with regret, the woulda, shoulda, cudda.guys just dont get it. Go for it .

15. 567trishop

567trishop
    from Australia

I was in your situation 18 months ago. I teach in a poorer area than some. The first six months I thought what was I thinking what did I do this for. The kids like to test new teachers and see where your limits are. I am just getting used to teaching now. I am the only teacher with a full sleeve, (the kids all where dead silent when I took off my jumper) and sometimes drive my 55 to school. I am a fitter & turner by trade, and have only work in a factory before this. This is the toughest job I have done, but it is also the most rewarding. I'd go for it.

16. RustyRedRam

RustyRedRam

As a high school English teacher, of course I'm gonna say go for it. As people have mentioned before, it is truly rewarding. However, it can be tough. Both the kids and the bureaucracy. However, keep at it. Especially teaching an elective, most of the kids that take your class will want to be in it. Your first year will be your roughest, it gets easier after that. Be prepared to not only be a teacher, but a father-like figure, psychiatrist, mediator, listener . . . . . etc. Have a positive attitude and be yourself--the kids will pick up on it. And if you try to be someone you're not, they'll know it. PM SamIAm, he taught shop and is an administrator (I think).

Matt

17. fiveofeen

fiveofeen

Sounds like a great opportunity, especially with the current economic situation at hand in this nation. My father was a science and tech ed teacher and eventually went into administration. He is more effective and influencial on the system as a whole this way but he would be happier teaching shop.

I visited a shop class to talk about my Window tinting business this spring. Showed up in a cool car and had a great talk with the class. Half of em were putty in my hands, very impressive kids who were going places. The other half were being idiots and testing me. Just to reach those ones who appreciated my visit and even called me later to ask questions was worth my time. My dream is to do something like that in a few years, summers off baby... oh yeah!

18. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

OK i will post my two cents now.
    i would say try it. the man who taught me me was a cool old dude back when i was 15. i worked at his shop after school. our school sucked they had computer class instead. but he was a great teacher. i used to tell him you should teach shop.
    recently i have had something in the back of my head. i just need to make a decision on whether or not i want to do it. i have 64 riv i want to donate to my local school and have the kids build it and when it's done sell it to fund a next year project for the class coming up. i just have to see if the teacher would be down with it.
    so i think if you take the job. make it fun and cool. sit down and think what you would of loved to work on when you were in shop, rather then do brake jobs for cheap ass teachers who flunk you anyways. i think if you bring in something cool at the beginning of the year to build the hole class would be into it even the little asses that don't learn anything. and you help pass on this great hobby at the same time.
    just my thoughts on what i would do if i was in your shoes.

19. I get so tired of these damned politicians goin' on an on about ya bein' able to send your kid to college and never one damned word about vocational schools. This country needs plumbers, electricians, auto mechanics and all other trades just as much as some college degree'd kid mostly with a degree that doesn't pay diddly shit. If my toilet doesn't work and I can't fix it I sure as hell don't need some accountant, I need a plumber! I'd love, just once, to see a politician say " and we'll help your kid get into a good vocational school"!!!

20. 23 bucket-t

23 bucket-t

Summers off to go Hot Rodding. Who is better than you.....

21. I pretty much see eye to eye with you here...I got my B.S. degree (no pun intended) in business management, mainly due to the requirements of upward mobility in my industry...

I also attended a vocational school (WYOTECH street rod building/chassis fab) and value the experience I got, if it only lends itself to my hobby at this point.

It's a travesty to avoid instruction to young adults who are more mechanically inclined than academically. The opportunity to teach a trade to a young person instills character, ethics, and a sende of self worth that they may not otherwise find during their education.

My rant is done...BISHOP, let us know what you decide...

22. If you have something to offer.. And it's what you enjoy doing.. There is nothing better than learning from someone that teaches from the heart.. The youth of today need some kind of stimulation other than what is availabel on the street or on mtv.. Give it a shot.. I had the oppertunity to teach a hot rod shop class in a local jr. College a few summers back.. The students really got into it.. It was a lot of fun for them and me. Now we have a couple more hot rods running the streets here.. And a few kids that have better things to do than walk around with a crappy attitude and droopy pants..

23. Negatives? Wherever you are, teaching, running shop, running the corporate rat race, the bottom 5% of performers will take 80% of your time and energy.

Don't let them grind you down. Focus on the positive. Pay attention to the 95% who are good and want to learn. Put you heart into that. Send the 5%-ers to the principal's office. ;-)

24. I would do it if I could. I don't have the required degrees, but was a master tech with many trainees under me that went on to be successful.

Maybe one day.

25. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Never pass a chance to corrupt the youth, mabey some of the students will become HAMBers

26. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

I have liked cars and bikes for nearly 50 years. I have taught elementary school, middles school gifted, and grades 2-12 severe emotionally disturbed. I quit teaching twice to pursue other interests. I came back both times. I love what I do, and the kids I work with will surely be tougher to work with on the average than the kids in your school unless you live in some really tough area. The lightbulb going off in a kid makes it all worthwhile. Another thought....some of what you will do is academic. You have to do it, the kids have to do it. But the hands on part is what will grab them hard. Keep the bookwork to as small a thing as you can while being professional and it will work out. If you don't do it, you will always wonder......Go for it!:D

27. JAWS

JAWS

I would love the chance to teach, seems to be the only thing really valuable these days. Cars come and go, but experiences last for ever. Every car guy can remember his experiences as he was lead into some situation that was educational. Remember the first time you took an engine apart and got to see first hand what you had been looking at in the pages of your favorite mag. How cool it would be to be on the outside looking in.
    Best of luck man.

28. lowkroozer

lowkroozer

Bishop Think back a few years ago when you were a kid trying to get your first car going and the day you finally did. Now think foreward to right now. You have the opportunity to teach a kid what you learned. Pay won't be great , but the rewards will be!!!!!!!!!!!

29. DragginWagon

DragginWagon
    from Tyler,Tx.

Take this one on for the first day of class! It will get their attention!:D

Attached Files:

30. tinmann

tinmann

I've been a teacher for 25 years but a high school shops teacher for only 3. It was the best thing that I ever did. Other teachers look in and say, "you look like you're having too much fun". And they're right. I'm teaching the stuff I live/love. Metal fab, welding and cars.... could it get any better? It's all about the teacher's attitude. Whoever said, "don't try to be their friend" is right. Be firm but supportive and you'll have them eating out of your hand in no time. I couldn't care less what my kids score in English and Science but it's funny how my "shining lights' are an equal mix of high and low academic students. Some kids, you just know "live" for your class. You see their light buibs come on and they see the future. I love it. And if you go in with the right mind set, you will too.