Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's the best hot rod or custom to build for a first timer?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Retroharley, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Retroharley

Retroharley

This maybe a far fetched question, but I'm looking to buy a hot rod or custom and I keep changing my mine. Right now I'm leaning toward an early 50's cadillac. What would be a great first time project to build? What should I look for in purchasing a project? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Pick one you like! Make sure you have the money and patience, especially if you're gonna pick a car with hard to find parts.

Good luck!

3. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Buy an abandoned project, something with most of the difficult work already done. Get something you like and keeps you motivated. There is a big difference between a custom and a Hot Rod.

4. svo

svo

That is what I did and I have learned a whole lot from the experience so far.

5. squirrel

squirrel

the tricky part is to make sure, before you buy, that the difficult work was done RIGHT.

6. NotNuRodz

NotNuRodz

Just adding on to this, make sure they are selling it for any reason other than screwing the car up, Its hard enough to restore a car but to have to fix someone else's mistakes are a bitch! (especially if this will be the first car you will have built)

7. Retroharley

Retroharley

I forgot to add that I want a car that I can let my 4 year old son ride with me. I don't know if that changes anything or not.

8. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

I think an early '50s caddy would be a great place to start.

9. I agree; I recently saw an A rod for sale on eBay and couldn't believe the guy was trying to sell it the way front end was set up as it extremely dangerous. Who ever bought it was in for a total re-do!

I would also recommend that you go for a custom being that you can achieve some pretty cool stuff without having to fabricate a lot of stuff (like a frame, suspension, etc.). Having said that, I would buy something like a Ford, Chevrolet, Plymouth, etc, as they are pretty simple cars. Having taken apart vintage Cadillacs and Lincolns in the past, I can say that they can be quite complicated, especially when you have to deal with hydraulic power windows and seats (rather than electric), as in a Fifties Cadillac

Hope this helps!

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Size, time, money and skills are the things to really think about. Like it or not BODYWORK in the big part of any car build. There is far less area to block sand on a pre 1935 car, and a post 1950 car can really take a lifetime to block out. Your son may be 4 now but he may be ready to take his drivers test before the project is finished, all due to the cost of parts and services you may have to farm out. If you have the skills to do the work that is a big plus, keeping yourself motivated to finish it is always a challenge. If you like the looks of Model A Fords, they make a great starter car IMO. Always buy something you really like to look at, that is what you will spend most of the build time doing.

11. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

If you're concerned about possibly not having all the skills required to make sure the car is done right then pick one that you like , get it in the air and check as much as you can for any sign of breakage, stress cracks, worn out parts or anything else related to safety.There's alot of help here and at times you can even get a member to come to you and help with the car.Don't be afraid to screw up cause we all have and learned from it. Having somebody there with you will set your mind at ease when you need it.Caddys are a good start but with age everything wears out. My .02

12. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Caddy parts are pretty expensive, and hard to find, so I'd pick something that there are more parts available for.
    Of course it also depends on your level of skills, and your budget.
    Most popular cars have more aftermarket parts for them. Body panels for rust repair, trim, lights, mechanical parts, as well as parts to upgrade them to modern mechanicals, like disc brakes.
    But if you are a good welder, and have a decently equipped shop, none of this matters, you can make your panels, and weld in newer modern parts.
    Or if you have a big budget, you can pay a shop to do the "heavy fabrication" and do the finish up work yourself.
    There's lots of ways to go, but it really depends on your skills, time, and money! Or how many crafty friends you have, that owe you favors!

13. Gator

Gator

Chopolds makes a good point, a lot of higher end cars like Caddy's had one year, model specific trim and parts. I had a '56 Eldorado a few years back and when the water pump went out I discovered $250 later the only pump that would work was a one year, model specific, A/C only water pump.

BUT I agree with the others too, get what you want.

If you've got your heart set on something like a Caddy, making sure it's as complete as possible would be some good advice.

14. skunx1964

skunx1964

i would have to suggest a chevy, as a lot interchanges and they arent terribly expencive to get parts for.

15. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

My advise is to pick something where parts are availible. Both used and repro. I made the mistake of trying to build an orphan for my first rod (34 olds). I just sold it and bought a 34 ford truck. A model A would be a great for parts and price. Plus any info you need would be availible on the HAMB.

Mat

16. captainflight

captainflight

You will save a lot of time and money if you buy a project car with the difficult work done (correctly). A caddy may be a bit ambitious for a first attempt but you must please yourself. 49-54 Fords and Chevs are always a good choice. As already mentioned, a well equipped shop is essential so plan on investing in good tools as required.

17. officerfalfa

officerfalfa

I would look for something that is somewhat complete and that is running and driveable. I think it is easier to stay focused and motivated on a project when you can walk out to the garage and take it for a spin around the block rather than walking out to the garage and looking at a pile of parts! Also, don't be afraid to spend a little more money on a car that is in a little better shape than a cheaper one that might be missing parts or needs a little more body work. It will pay off in the end! I also agree with everyone else, look at more common cars that have more aftermarket parts available and can interchange parts easily. And finally, buy what YOU like!

18. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The number one rule is to buy as much complete and rustfree car as you you can afford. It doesn't matter about drivetrain stuff, you've got endless choices at the junkyard. It's the body parts, trim parts, glass(curved), that will get your wallet in a bind.
    For the first time buyer with little experience a nice original runner/driver, best you can find and afford, is your best bet. You'll get to enjoy it for a while NOW and see if this is what you really do want then modify it as time/funds/inclination allow. Pretty much just like everybody used to do.

19. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I'm going to be the bad guy now,take my advice as worth what it costs.
    I wouldn't buy anything!! Take the time and money your going to spend on a car and find a college or trade school and take night classes in machine shop ,welding ,body and paint ,anything that you may need.
    You will also probably run into some hot rod types whom have current projects going. Beg your way into their garage and learn from them on their car. After a couple of years of this you will know what you want , what you don't want and why, what it's going to take to get there,both in money and time.
    Going into this lifestyle without a plan and the knowedge required can be costly to your bank account. There is not a better way to get burnt out and give up all together than to be over your head with a project you cannot sell for 10% of what you have in it.
    Cool Hot Rods are built everyday for reasonable $'s but the learning curve can be tough.
    Do the homework!!
    but then again I could be wrong.

20. shadetreerodder

shadetreerodder

Make sure whatever you buy it is something you like. It can be hard to unload wierd cars if you lose interest. With a 4 year old I would stick with a closed car. Pickups are a lot of fun.

21. _charles_

_charles_
    from Tampa, Fl

For my first "Old Car", I went with my favorite body style of all time, and I am glad I did...otherwise I would be selling it everytime something goes wrong or breaks.

Caddys are nice, but extremely expensive. The passenger side headlight trim fell off and got crushed in traffic. $250 later, and I have a replacement coming. Some would have decided to just frenched them in or something...but I just love the Chrome.

[​IMG]

22. Terry O

Terry O

'55 - '59 Chevy truck.
    1.Easy to find locally and still affordable.
    2.Easy to work on.
    3.You can build it as a custom or as a hot rod and if you change your mind from custom to hot rod or vice versa during the build you can change direction without breaking the bank.
    4. Lots of room under the hood. Run a 235 or a 454 lots of options.
    5. All parts are re-popped so no long search for un-obtainable parts.
    6. Solid steel, high up to protect that little 4yo.
    7. Everybody needs an old American truck to haul parts for the next project!

Have fun,

Terry

23. First of all if you can find somebody else's project that they have invested alot of time and money in but have lost interest that puts you miles ahead as long as it's something you like...one of my favorite cars that are still out there and affordable are the 53-54 chevys just because you can do a sled, custom, rod, gasser and they all look good...the parts are everywhere and the resale is good on them...

24. Mopar34

Mopar34

1949 - 1954 Chevy's. All though Mopar's may be less expensive to acquire, parts may be problematic. You will likely need to get some education in fabricating and welding to save your self some dough. The more you can do yourself the less expensive the project will be. Getting a good project car would be good, but again nothing to rare and nothing screwed up.

I have two orphans, one Olds and one Plymouth. Neither is cheap due to hard to get parts. I like both of mine, but if I had it to do again, I think I would not have passed on the model A roadster even though it needed a ton of work and lots of parts.:eek:

25. H3O

H3O

unless you want a challenge, stay away from 61-63 ford pickups. been havin a hard time tryin to get parts for them, especially the 6cyl engine. and it's kinda hard to lower it without a front clip.

26. sir

sir

...lot's of good advice out there...here's my 02...find yourself a 64-66 chevrolet truck (if you don't mind trucks) there everywhere,and are easy to find parts for.upgrades are easy and they look good when done right you can pick up a "runner" for around $1000 >< GO SHOPPING!! quick and easy would be "craigs list"....good luck..

27. 55chieftain

55chieftain

The one that needs the least amount of work.

28. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

What he said,only with a midfifties Ford F100 in the running too.

29. sir

sir

just a little before & after....

30. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Something common and cheap remember new trim and patch pannels is expensive/not avalible for some cars

Shoeboxes, trifives and early 50s cheves comes to mind