Register now to get rid of these ads!

Joined the longroof club yesterday!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by five-oh, Nov 2, 2008.

1. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

As the title says, I'm now "one of them". I've been working on a '52 chevy truck for the last year, but kept getting sidetracked with money and time issues- I think that's called life.:D I'd decided that between those issues and having bought the '46, I probably would be better off to sell the old truck instead of becoming that guy everyone hates- you know, ole Farmer "I'm gonna fix it up one day". While talking to one of the local car guys, I discovered he had a somewhat rougher version of the '52. I mentioned I was wanting to sell mine, he came over to see it- and drove up in a '64 Rambler American 330 four door wagon,complete with a roof rack and a perfect body. A few moments of talk and he told me he'd be interested in trading the wagon for the truck if I was- Who, me? Interested in trading? Of course! I think it'll make the perfect family car. It's got the little 196ci six cylinder, a three-on the-tree, and an overdrive! Runs out perfect, drives like a dream.I'm in love! The wife instantly called it a "hooptie"- not in a good way, so I'll be looking here for ideas to make it more appealing to her. I've tried to attach a pic, but it was taken with a sorry cell phone camera. I'll try to get better pics posted soon.

Attached Files:

2. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

Congrats.. i'm still looking for a cool wagon myself around my area for decent $$.. put cup holders and the wife will like it.

3. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

I like it,you did good in my book............

4. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

It's always fun to get a new project.

I'm a long time wagon fan. It's hard to beat how far your buying power can stretch when it comes to deals on wagons. Even though (I think) the semi-hyped brief 'wagon craze' is over I believe they've still managed to retain some respect in most people's eyes. It's nice to have a cool old car that you can haul the wife, the kids, the dog, the cooler, and all the rest of your junk in.

Looks like fun- drive the wheels off it!

Jay

5. johnnyford

johnnyford
    from FLORIDUH

Got two long roofs...
    64 Cadillac hearse and a 62 2 door Falcon wagon next to it.
    [​IMG]

6. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

Sweet little Rambler. Drop it and cruise!

7. Unibodyguy

Unibodyguy

I think you'll really like the 20 plus mpg you'll get with it on some road trips. Their a very good little car and handle pretty good too for a wagon. You did good trading for this.

Michael

8. Talk Nads & Plowboy into riding in the back & she'll love it.

JH

9. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

I only see the hearse!!:D:D

About ready to join the club in a few days!! Can't wait.

10. I was real impressed yesterday with how clean that car is, Bob! I think you did good. You could probably fit the entire thing in the back of Steve's 68 Polara wagon! :)

Cool car, I like it.

11. The Falcon wagon is in the back of the hearse! You know, a spare backup emergency car in case the hearse goes tits-up (pun intended!)

Nice little AMC wagon there!

12. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

Thanks, Now if I could just get my wife to see how cool it is.:) Right now, she's in favor of selling it, so Kevin might get his chance after all. Even with the choke being stuck, it got approximately 23 mpg when I filled it up- I took care of the choke problem, so it may get even better milage now. Here's another pic of it for those that haven't seen it since the wheels repaint- not perfect, but it'll do till I get TorqueThrusts or sell the car. BTW, Dave, the Merc was even better in person- I'm envious!

Attached Files:

13. You are too kind. :) If it is any consolation, my wife is no fan of the wagon either....thus Steve has my old Dodge and I still have a 63 Plymouth she would love to see go down the road. Me, I LOVE 'em!

14. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

My wife likes my wagon, as does my 9 yr old son! He loves sitting in the front seat, arm out, and cruising. Not so much my 15 yr old daughter, guess it's not a "cool" car to her...

15. Kerry67

Kerry67

Now you are talking.........Cool car !

16. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

17. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats and welcome to the club. I have never been without a wagon. It needs to be dropped just a little (to keep it wife-friendly) and I'm not sure about the backspacing on the front wheels, but I think it's great.

18. Gunch

Gunch

Longroofs rule! That's a sweet lookin little rambler you got there, and the 3 on the tree is a nice bonus. put it in the weeds and get some americans for it! They're good cars... just watch out for those trunnions! hahaha

19. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

Yeah, the backspacing's off because the kid that had it before me had some funky mag wheels from an import on it. He didn't want to get rid of them and I didn't want them, so he kept them. He put a set of junkyard wheels off of an Areostar van on a set of adapters and bolted 'em up. I plan on getting some Americans or TorqueThrust for it, but Christmas coming and the '46 have got the money soaked up now. If I get to keep it, it'll look different a few months down the road.

20. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

five-oh, that is too cool! Not only does Cates have the '68 Polara, but he also has a 60s Rambler wagon that you might be able to get some ideas from.

toadfrog also has a wagon; it's a '52 or '53 Ford with original flattie. Maybe we need to start an Arkie Long Roof club. Sounds good to me.

21. I love wagons! I'm rebuilding my '61 Catalina Safari after putting over 100,000 miles on it. Can't wait to get her back on the road, I really miss it. Wagons rule and they are real handy too. Who needs a truck?

Steve

22. Toqwik

Toqwik

Throw the buffer to that paint, bet it will surprise you.