Register now to get rid of these ads!

64 Galaxie question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Monkey, Oct 30, 2008.

1. The Monkey

The Monkey

I'm looking at this 64 Galaxie, I really like the 64. I've looked on galaxie website for more information.

On this galaxie theres two mounts on the truck area which appear to antenna mounts. Was the 500XL something special?

This car has a 390 automatic trans.

Sorry for the stupid questions just looking for information on what this car is and whether it's worth messing with.

Attached Files:

2. VespaJay

VespaJay

It's absolutely a worthwhile car! The 500XL was the top of the line, it had lots of extra trim the 500 didn't have. The stainless door panel inserts, bucket seats, and console are the big differences that the other trim levels did not have. I had a 500 in the same color, and I always wished it had been an XL.

Be sure to check the frame for rot in the main rails below the doors, and in the rear kickup over the axle. The rear windshield will tend to leak at the bottom under the chrome trim, causing the trunk to rot out so check that too. Rear bumpers tend to rot from the inside out too, and are expensive to either fix or replace. But if the car is solid, then the asking price up here in the Northeast would be a very fair deal IMHO.

Get it if you can, they're great cars.

3. My 500XL antenna mounts are on the right front fender. I'm not sure if the set up you are asking about is a factory option or aftermarket? My guess is aftermarket.

4. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

factory option.... for reals

5. The Monkey

The Monkey

thank you for the replies and tips, I need them.

two more pics I had. and the crown vic in the pic is my daily.

Attached Files:

6. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

390/Auto? How does the underside of the car look? (like someone already mentioned) It looks like there may be some rust over the rear wheel in one of your last photos? ... and the bumper looks rusted through?

In the photos, it appears this car may actually need quite a bit to be a 'nice' driver. does it run? Do you know how long it's been sitting?

If it has been sitting a while and needs quite a bit of work, I'd have a hard time giving $4,500 for it, even being an XL. Maybe I'm just a cheap bastard, though :D:rolleyes:

Malcolm

7. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

check the normal galaxie rust spots...

$4500 is hefty to me, but what do i know, i just bought a convert driver for a lil more than taht (7k) and its pretty nice...

non running etc i wouldnt give more than $1500, but im cheap

ps - I WANT THOSE SKIRTS!

8. James66g

James66g

Hey there is a guy in woodland with all kinds of 63/64 galaxie parts check craigslist sacramento ca every once in a while he will post. guys got like 8 of everything by the looks of it! wish he had parts for my 66 ! as for the 64 man love that car and a 500xl is the ride to have for the above mentioned reasons.. I agree though 4500 for something with rust is pricey unless you know your way around a welder might not be bad to get this 500xl then a standard 64 and make the best of the two ?

9. i sold that guy a 61 wagon and saved his phone # if anybody needs it.

10. James66g

James66g

OH !! and theres a galaxie forum here ion the hamb or a group or something I joined it but there isnt much activity

11. locospup

locospup

looks aftermarket

12. lgh1157

lgh1157

Yup, also . . . .looks like a $1000 - $1500 car depending on how much you like it.

Maybe a little more with a strong running engine