Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need Pics: Green Flame Merc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by King Tut, Feb 18, 2008.

1. King Tut

King Tut
    from Chicago

Looking for any and all pics of the Green Flame Merc. This is my favorite car of all time. fell in love with it back in the day at a Hot Rod show here in Chicago..

Thanks, Bruno...

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  2. jersey fink

jersey fink
    from jersey

3. Here it is as "Rudy's green flame" and how it looked after Don garlits redid it.

Mick

Attached Files:

4. wheels1950

wheels1950
    from PA. USA

Check out Robert Williams site ,He did a Poster of that called rudy's green flame.
    FRANK

5. I hate to drag out an old post, but I was curious if anybody knows who originally built this merc as the Green Flame version. Was it Dick Dean? Also, who redid it for Big Daddy Don Garlits? Anybody know? E

6. 00 MACK

00 MACK

The car was built by Sam Wade better known as Surfin Sam and Dave Kampney.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  7. kustoms2

kustoms2

I got to ride in the back seat of the green flame from Springfield, Ohio to my dad's in Hamilton, Ohio when I was a kid. Unfortunately I don't have any pics, but that is something I will never forget.:)

8. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Its too bad the car still didn't look like the top photograph & the Robert Williams poster, i'd put it in the Sacramento Merc gathering.

9. Thanks 00 Mack, I knew somebody would know. Does Don Garlits still have it? Shame if he does and it sits in a museum or garage somewhere.

Kustoms2, that experience would effect any kid. Built your own chopped Merc yet? E

10. 00 MACK

00 MACK

The paint work was severely fucked even 25 years ago and was badly in need of a redo.Garlits still has it.

11. The Williams poster is cool and that car has always been a favorite of mine

12. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

it looked so much better with the flames...
    its a shame he changed it,,now it looks like so many other mercs,,still cool,,,but nowhere near as cool..

13. I agree Axle. Its a shame that it was re-painted. That version is one of my favorite Mercs of all time.........E

14. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Here it is in some of Peter Pans photos .The back window sat right at sea level for a Hudson like roof line.Dick Dean would have never done it that way. on a car with the roof split for such nice long 1/4 windows.I do ,other than that like the overall look of the roof.

Attached Files:

15. cadillac dave

cadillac dave

The car was built by Sam Wade better known as Surfin Sam and Dave Kampney......are you sure that wasn't JACK KAMPNEY ? cadillac dave

16. Rikster

Rikster

Nice night shot...

[​IMG]

17. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Jack it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. kustoms2

kustoms2

No, I haven't built one for my self yet, that's on my list of things to do. My dad's built some nice ones for customers over the years though.

19. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

The car's paint was severely checked even back in the 70s, it probably had about thirty coats of lacquer on it, but I feel it should be painted as it was, the car's just another chopped Merc without it. Don does take it out for regular spins, it has a very potent 392 Hemi in it.