Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone want to work at a hot rod shop in the beach city of Wilmington, NC?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SakowskiMotors, Oct 5, 2008.

1. jimb0

jimb0
    BANNED

man i wish i lived close. that would be an awesome job.

2. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

I just wanted to extend my sincere thanks to everyone who has posted, pm'd, or emailed me. I look forward to getting to know everyone better and exploring the possibilities now and in the future.
    I am always on a constant search for people to be part of the team.
    Thanks again
    Wil
    p.s. If I am slow getting back to you I appologize, it has been hectic moving cross country, into a house, shop, and a new baby girl all in a month, finding a crew, getting the ball rolling, etc..
    but no regrets, blessed for having the opportunity

3. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

Just got back into the shop from some fun surf this am. Waist high, every fifteen mintutes a nice clean chest high peaky wedge with a fun drop. Guess I will come back after dinner tonight to make up a couple of hours well spent.
    wil
    www.sakowskimotors.com

4. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Wilmington is a pretty nice place ... :)

My brother lived there some years ago and I have been there quite a few times in the past 35 years.

Congratulations on the new baby ... and the move.

I know you have seen this sign ... as you get on I-40 just outside Barstow CA.

[​IMG]

My wife and I took the photo on one of our trips back from Los Angeles ... :D

5. CHITOWN 29A

CHITOWN 29A

I lived in Wilmington from 01 'till 04 working for Bob King MB. Great place. If i was still there I would have jumped at the chance.

6. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Welcome to the coast. I am in Myrtle Beach, but surf C-Street alot. I have a brother that lives in Carolina Beach. What hours is your shop open? I would love to check it out sometime.

7. Stone

Stone

Great lookin place. I like Wilmington. I would love to come by for a tour some time when I'm in town.

8. AntiBling

AntiBling

How does the wage pay work for a guy that fits 1 & 2?

9. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

Good question. It really depends on experience and what a person can really accomplish. Send me a bunch of info to [email protected] and I can better answer your question.
    In short, I have paid some guys over the last 18 years $35 an hour and was tickled to do so, they were making the shop great money, and making the day fun. Others, I have paid $5 an hour, and man, they cost the shop way too much in time and money, and fixing things they messed up. Way too expensive. Not trying to be hard on people, but I have baby birds to feed at home, and the shop has to make money.

You guys are welcome to come by when you are in town. Give me a call and a heads up is always best. 910 399 5939
    Let's get some surf!
    We are open basically Mon - Fri, but really by appointment. If we get some good surf at lunch, we might stay late or come back after dinner (5 minute commute).
    This week the TV show One Tree Hill is shooting at our shop, so next week would be better. We do all kinds of picture cars and studio work also.
    Screen Gems Studios is the largest outside of CA, and is right down the street.
    wil
    www.sakowskimotors.com

10. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

We had fun waist high peelers with 85 degree sunny weather and 74 degree water the last couple of days here in Wrightsville Beach / Wilmington, NC. We had our first shop surf during lunch today. Well, 2 surfers and 1 body boarder if that counts.
    wil
    www.sakowskimotors.com

We shot a 1940's flashback for the show One Tree Hill at the shop this week. It should air sometime soon. The shop was set as an old gangster hangout.
    Some really cool cherry cars were used, all original. 1940 Merc, 1940 Ford, and 1941 Lincoln Limo.

Attached Files:

11. PUMPKINHEAD

PUMPKINHEAD

Good luck w/ the new shop...sounds like a great place to work.

I would love to do that #1 job.....if I was closer:(

12. Sounds like you are settling in just fine...hope the new little hot rodder in your tribe is doing good too

13. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

Man I really wanna relocate to come learn there. I need to find a full time job so I can move. Doesnt look like there is a lot of computer job openings though :(

14. I need to come down there in the next 3 weeks or less and check your place out. I'd love to move out there if it's how you say it is. I'm from Southern California myself and miss the hell out of it but just can't stand all the people out there (crouded now). How crouded is Wilmington? I am guessing the summer is pretty crouded?
    Anyways I dont do anything now and no reason for me to not just drop everything here and move. I might check the place out! :D
    Beach, girls, hot rods, surfing, food, car shows. Can't beat it!

15. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

In my experience Wilmington isn't to bad during the summer, but Wrightsville is overrun. Close enough to drive to a couple of other beaches if need be...

16. 31whitey

31whitey

Wrightsville beach in the summer is like any other beach near a city...it gets crowded after 9:00 AM...not so much on the week days....but man you can keep the weekends.

Like zman said there are other beaches no so crowded near by...

Right now it rules...really just surfers and locals

17. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

You can always go to Masonboro. A deserted island 8 miles long right next to Wrightsville Beach. It is madness in the summer at the tip, but the rest is deserted. Camp out, surf, fish........ fires on the beach. What else could you want?
    Catch up sometime.
    Wil
    www.sakowskimotors.com

18. Sounds good to me. I am going to try heading up to Wilmington then in about two weeks or so. I may just sleep in my car or something and stay the night to spend two days there.

19. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I remember paddling across the inlet in the 80's... there was some pretty good surf there as well.

20. DBTires

DBTires
    from Conway, SC

Welcome to the good ole south. If you ever need a set of tires, we're about an hour away. Go check out Bald Head island if you get a chance. Take your board.

21. 31whitey

31whitey

ZMAN...You have some stones bro.

That inlet can be downright nasty at times.

Drunk boaters, gnarley currents, and bull sharks.

Two drunk college broads just tried to swim it.

One somehow made it onto the jetty and got worked...the other was found by a windsurfer over a mile out to sea....both were alright.

If its the right conditions, no problem, if its not ....well....

22. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have been wanting to get out of Ohio and besides the mechanical stuff I also do upholstery,I am overdue for a vacation so I could head down to check it out. Jeff

23. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You need a shop Paramedic?

Doc.

24. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

there is plenty of talent in the area. Keep plugging along and you will find it. welcome and best of luck in the venture.

25. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

Hey Wil... glad to hear you're doing well. Congrats on the new daughter!

I just spent my first time in NC last month on some business... nice state for sure! Best of luck with the new venture, but like others have been saying, you're a talented hardworking, honest dude, so it should come easy!

Catch a wave for poor landlocked Sperry, huh?

26. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I was a bit younger and did things without thinking... of course paddeling across is a bit different than just swimming...

27. scottrich411

scottrich411

man, i wish i wasnt stuck in savannah for another year and a half...i'd be there in a heartbeat. maybe i'll look you up again in a year

28. lowphat53

lowphat53
    from Virginia

Hey man, weren't you guys in Richmond VA at one time... On Broad St. near the old Aunt Sarah's? I wish we had more shops like that around now but only tuner shops seem to exist out here now. Good luck on things.

29. Wow, hi from Charleston and welcome to the Carolinas. You sir, seem to be living the dream. I will try to keep you apprised of any good shows going on down here. There's a big one in early December. A little pricey for my taste, but its all in all a good setting and good show. http://crippledog.com/caopcarcl20.html

You are welcome to my little shop and driveway while you're here. Cheers.

30. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Looks like a little slice of Heaven down there...

Glenn