Register now to get rid of these ads!

cutting coil springs to drop the front end.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bhave232, Oct 25, 2008.

1. bhave232

bhave232

Hambers I need a little help. I have a 55 chevy on a 70 monte carlo frame and I can't seem to find drop spindles for it so I am going to have to cut my coil springs. I have never done this before so I was hopeing I could get some advice maybe some pics of past projects where this has been done.

Thanks,
    Cooter bob wexler

2. hotrod51

hotrod51

I don't have any pics, but I have cut several. The easiest way is to cut the spring with a chop saw to avoid overheating it. A rule of thumb is cutting one coil will lower the car about two inches. This applies to the first cut. After that I would cut about a half coil at a time until you like it. I would also drive the car between cuts, because it will settle some.

3. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

You are not looking very well for dropped spindles. They are the same as Chevelle spindles, everybody and their brother have 2" dropped spindles for them.

4. Awedrod

Awedrod
    from Wichita KS

I better check with my brother then....

5. dbradley

dbradley

"jo" beat me to it. Any '68-'72 Chevelle has the same spindle, hell the entire suspension is the same. Tons of vendors for ANYTHING you want.