Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1957 My favorite year! what's yours?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NONAME, Oct 24, 2008.

1. 1957 I was just 15 and car crazy California kid. had a car no drivers license, just a learners permit. that let me learn to drive and park too! it was a very good year. the cars were cool and the girls were easy. it doesn't get any better than that.
    I'll add a story or two but what was your best year?
    Jim

2. banjorear

banjorear

1985. Regan in office, brand new CR-125 dirt bike in the drive way and tons of "cooperative" chicks in my high school.

Good times, good times.

3. 1965 lot's of new cars and high horse power stuff everywhere !! Television was king with real actors and clean comedy. Hard to go wrong here !! Life was good !! >>>>.

4. Larry T

Larry T

How about a decade? The 70's. Custom Harleys, Anglias, V-8 Vegas, friends, good job/extra money, single, parties,..........

And NOW. GRANDDAUGHTER! LOL
    Larry T

Attached Files:

5. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

In my current situation, every year I get through still breathing is my favourite :D As for the past, Gotta be '92. 28, still skinny, happily married, fronting a killer rock'n'roll band really popular on the R'n'R scene, frequently drunk, frequently high, pretty much always laughing my ass off with good friends, all topped off with the birth of my first son Danny. But if you're talkin' cars, I'll go with 57 too.

6. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

I'll go with 57 also. I was 16 and cruis.n the boulevard for sure in a Dago'd, Flamed
    41 Ford bus. coupe. Good times.

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I'll take any of them from 1982-present time seeing how that's all I know. I would have like to be around in the early 60's though. The 50's scare me because it looked like everything was so homogeneous. The 60's seemed to begin the age of acceptance and creativity.

8. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

My birth year, but more importantly:
    America was the big dog in the world because we earned the respect of the globe.

Cars were cool, getting cooler every year.

Kids acted like kids, adults treated the kids as kids, not little adults.
    School teachers could give you hell when you deserved it without the fear of parental backlash. The police were respected as were the elderly. Cussing was reserved for back alleys and private conversations. Front doors were unlocked because nobody would ever steal from you. Personal responsibility was the key to success. Kids listened to adults because adults were usually right and because if you didn't, you'd probably have an "encounter" with your father.
    Family, friends, peace, hope, a time when you could do anything you set your mind to.

weed was something growing in the backyard
    gay meant you were happy

respect wasn't demanded, but earned

no cell phones, no distractions with gizmos, vacant lots, an occasional black eye without lawyers getting involved, real dodgeball on the playground, no TV 24 hours a day, no pagers, no answering machines

Railroads were busy with diesel locomotives, but steam locos, too. Together it was an exciting time to watch them speeding America's goods across the countryside.

respect for self and others was a daily given.

I was a blessing to grow up in Southern California in the 50's. Great weather, cool cars, lots of friends in all the new suburbs, jalopy races on Sunday in Gardena, drag races down by the gravel pits in Irwindale, three day indoor car shows, chocolate malts, not shakes, malts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  9. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

as far as cars go...1928, 1968, 1953..1957

10. ridin dirty

ridin dirty

I also love 57's this is my second 57 that I got carried away on . I sold it to a guy in Wisconson . It ran 9.40's on motor and 8.30-8.40's onone stage of spray . The car cost too much to run .
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  11. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

1967...street racing still going on...the "Gasser" look was hot...this was but one of 30 1957 Chevys I owned at the time...

R-

[​IMG]

12. blackout

blackout

1958. The Hot Rods in the mags were laden with chrome. America was the production capital of the world. 501's were sewn in San Francisco, when it was OK to be in San Francisco. White T shirts from JC Penny were sewn in America. Drag racing was still about creativity, the ambitious working man could race the Winternationals. The music during this era became classics. There were hundreds of drag stips across the nation. The cherry coke was a favorite drink.

JimSibley likes this.
  13. '69 - High school senor with a '63 Impala SS covertible. Senior year of high school is the best!

14. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

My favorite year? most of them before I was born...damn.

Probably 2004, last year of highschool, heavly involved in my then main hobby, good times with friends.

15. T-Roy

T-Roy

Cool post Mazooma. Really makes you think how much has changed in the last 50 years...

But, I guess if you look at all the changes from 1900 to 1950, it's kinda the same as looking at how much has changed from 1950 to now. Technology does that I guess... Changes the world we live in, for better or worse.

16. Definately would be 1962 for me. That year my roadster appeared in Hot Rod, Rod & Custom, and the first edition of Popular Hot Rodding. But winning the National 1/4 Midget Championship in '57 would be right up there a close second. '63 was cool too. Met my future wife, and saw the very first 8 second pass by a fuel coupe when the 554 did it at LIONS. Hell, lot of good years. Life's been good to me so far....................:)

17. 1940 because my favorite car is a 1940 Ford Deluxe. Also love 32 Fords

Styling wise, 1957, especially the 57 Ford 2 door in any model.

Ok, for favorite year, 1967. Ah, all the women I had as a 17 year old kid with an attitude and looks of an older guy!

18. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I'll go with '57. Senior in high school, new car, good car club buddies, couple of very tasty girl friends...

There've been some other highlights, but I'll have to think on them for a bit.

19. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Although I wasn't around yet, if there was a year I could go to and live in forever, it'd probably be 1965. It was a turbulent time, for sure...but utterly fascinating! A great time to be into cars...right in the thick of the most exciting decade ever!

(Always loved the song, but the video is pretty cool, too...a look back to 65!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzcM4ikD5Bo

Now, from my own lifetime? Too many to mention...they all had their ups and downs, and I'm thankfull for each one gone by, and each yet to come!

20. GulfCoastGasser

GulfCoastGasser
    from Gulf Coast

That's my favorite year also ..... It was the year I was born!:D

21. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

I gotta ask. What did you do to get a mugshot in 1954??? Sneakin into Santa Anita:D

22. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

My Dad was an Arcadia policeman and a smartass, so he thought that was pretty funny...it still makes me laugh.

23. '68, my freshmon year in high school, I was building cars in the Ag Shop after hours, and partying my A__ off.
    I'd say the gurls were easy but that would just be an out 'n' out lie.

I've actually had a lot of really good years. I can't actually say that '68 was my favorite but it was a good year.

24. 1969 was my favorite year.Loved the hot rods and the factory hot rods.Remember chrome?Loved the music.Even the style of dress (looking back, it was pretty bad).The country wasn't so overpopulated then.I really think the girls look prettier now though.Maybe cause I am a lot older and don't cull as much as before.

25. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

26. TRUCK_RAT

TRUCK_RAT
    from tulsa

37 because it's the largest prime number under 50 except for 41 but 41 is just so arrogant i couldn't get behind it.
    you know what so is 47 but its been in and out of rehab so many times i just can't get trust it anymore and if there are any more i hate them too

27. Hubbcat

Hubbcat
    from Sweden

the next one,if you always look back you gona miss the future.

28. 57 shaker

57 shaker
    from phx.az

I'd have to say 68 cause I had a great job,I just got out of the Army and didn't get killed in Viet Nam,I bought my first brand new car (one of the first 500 428 Cobra Jet fastback Mustangs w/430 traction lock rear disc brakes,GT susp.)that same year I pulled the engine and had Bills Speed Shop build me a full prostock engine for prowling down Woodward Ave.on all those Friday and Saturday nights racing at every lite,you can imagine all the wild cars around at that time,and I married my first wife that year a 6ft.tall blue eyed blonde Detroit Playboy Bunny,oh yeah that had to be my favorite year.

29. 57 shaker

57 shaker
    from phx.az

Oh buy the way I don't have the wife,the car or the job anymore but I do have a 57 chev.2dr 210 with my new 454 HO crate motor in it and do love those 57's.Still a gear head after all these years !

30. 57 shaker

57 shaker
    from phx.az

I'd have to say 68 cause I had a great job,I just got out of the Army and didn't get killed in Viet Nam,I bought my first brand new car (one of the first 500 428 Cobra Jet fastback Mustangs w/430 traction lock rear disc brakes,GT susp.)that same year I pulled the engine and had Bills Speed Shop build me a full prostock engine for prowling down Woodward Ave.on all those Friday and Saturday nights racing at every lite,you can imagine all the wild cars around at that time,and I married my first wife that year a 6ft.tall blue eyed blonde Detroit Playboy Bunny,oh yeah that had to be my favorite year.