Register now to get rid of these ads!

Im Tired of getting ripped off but I dont want to hurt anyones feelings

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dannyego, Oct 20, 2008.

1. dannyego

dannyego

So heres the deal. Im pretty good ant scrounging craigslit and Ebay. I have also done a good job making friends with the local parts guys. My buddies however seem to over pay for everything but think they are getting the deal of a lifetime. Heres the problem. They keep buying parts for me thinking they are helping out and getting me a great deal, and I keep paying them so they dont get pissed off and think I am ungrateful. It happened again today. My buddy called me yesterday because he said he had a line on some parts I needed and he could get the deal of a lifetime for $175. I told him not to worry about it and that I would take care of it. I called my local parts guy and once he got done discounting them I could get the same parts for $80. Thats a hell of a difference. SO heres my dilemna. Do I tell the old timer who has given me a ton of help to go scratch on the parts and save the money? Or eat the money and spare his feelings?

2. poorboy

poorboy

tell em to go scratch

3. Maybe your "friends" are scamming you? Looks like they might be taking a mark up on what great deals they keep finding you. Say no or get some new friends.

Bob

4. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

tell them you cant afford it.

5. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Hard to say...

I pay more, for certain things, sometimes...just because of appreciation for whom they come from.
    Sometimes, its nice to have a relationship with the person, an accountable, loyal, relationship, rather than just the cheapest parts, from the guy behind the counter who's name I don't even know.
    Is he behind you in other ways? Knowledge? Experience? Accountability?

I keep one of my local friends in my loop, not for everything, but for at least a third of what I need, just out of appreciation, and because I know I've used his shop/tools PLENTY, over the years, FOC...
    He is always at least $20.00 more than Mail Order warehouses on any given thing...
    but I count in the extra benefits, and loyaly.

I guess it depends on the situation...

6. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Honesty is the best policy.... even if it hurts sometimes. It would be different if you weren't losing money....

7. Concrete B

Concrete B

I see what you're saying. I'm the same way. Tell him you found them way cheaper, and to hollar if he finds other parts before he buys them.

8. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

I went through that with my father inlaw. Honesty with these people is best and will save you $$ in the long run. Don't be a sucker!

9. money and friends dont mix.. tell him your low on dough and you gotta give it a pass..

10. Squablow

Squablow

I would just tell him you appreciate his checking on the parts but you've found the same stuff for $80. If he's really trying to help you out and get you a good deal, he'll understand. If he gets defensive or pissy about it, he's probably scamming you.

What kind of parts are we talking here?

11. hightest

hightest

Dear Ann Landers...

12. Toqwik

Toqwik

I'd play him like you do your wife, tell him you worked out a trade with another buddy for the parts.

13. FYI. I first of all, know what ther parts i'm looking for are worth in most conditions. I always research first. I'll check Craigs list nationwide for areas I frequent or have friends in, check e-bay (almost always over priced) Check NAPA-Carquest & look at speciality vendors as well.

Then if it's traditional stuff I'll PM HAMBers who i've had communications with. Sometimes I just find a great deal like my last a 6X2FE with carbs for $400 (no research needed) or 2 15X10 Cragar SS for $10 from a local scrap yard. If I find parts I don't need I'll pass then on at cost for shipping only. Done a few here but I do them thru PM's.

I've been into rodding since 1968 & have been burnt, stoled from, swindled & misled by "friends". All to the tune of multi $1000's.

I still trust the hobby & try to be up front with my offers but i do my research first.

Movin/on

14. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

Tell him you can buy the same parts for 80 dollars? That was easy! Give me another!

15. As mentioned HONESTY. If not, get new friends....

Friends dont rip off their mates, or ANYONE for that matter.

Rat

16. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

This is where you tell your friend that times are hard and money is pretty tight. If he finds a deal, he should let you know before he buys something to be sure you have the money in hand. Then if his "find" isn't such a great deal, you can tell him you don't have that much money. Timing is everything, you have to have a need and the funding both at the same time. If he really is a friend, he should understand, and if he doesn't check with you before he spends his money, its not your problem, you told him. Besides, you never know when he might actually come up with a real deal. Gene

17. dannyego

dannyego

I hear you guys loud and clear. He's not ripping me off on purpose. He always gives me receipts. I just dont hink he knows any better. He has a shop right across the street from me which he gave me the keys to in case I want to do any work when hes not around. He's just one of those guys that thinks his way is the only right way. He didnt talk to me for a week out of pride once because I proved him wrong while doing an engine swap. He wanted to do it one way, I disagreed and did it my way and it worked out better. Oh well I guess Ill talk to him tommorow and see if he can get his money back on the parts. I could use the extra money for a wiring harness anyway.

18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

Heres the problem. They keep buying parts for me thinking they are helping out and getting me a great deal, and I keep paying them so they dont get pissed off and think I am ungrateful.

should have nipped that one in the bud the first time it happened. who buys parts for someone without asking them first? not me.

19. That post says a lot. Leave your butt buddy, he is doing you no favors.

20. autocol

autocol

yeah... but keep his keys!

seriously though, can't you just say "hey bob, i found out i can get those parts for $80 bucks. i'll take 'em off your hands this time because you're a good dude, but next time YOU need something like that I'LL hook you up!"

that way, you've told him you don't want him to buy shit for you any more, and you've stayed mates because you're helping him out.

or, just smack him in the mouth and tell him to get fucked.

21. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

How important is it to you to use his shop? what's it worth?

22. 38plymouth

38plymouth

Well, just keep getting ripped off. You don't want to hurt anybody's feeling do you ? There, it's solved! You can pay me through paypal if you wish....that'll be $80.
    Thanks for your business...Ann Landers

23. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

I buy for my buddy and vice versa..

Thing is, we have the same cars and stuff goes into the "trade file". I need a windshield, I pick up the phone. He needs interior parts, pick up the phone.

We just make sure that everything works out in the end.

If you didn't -tell- him to buy it for you then you shouldn't pay for it. Just tell him if you need it you'll square up with him later.

Shawn

24. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Guess I didn't read the part about buying parts for you BEFORE asking, I've never heard of that one. That seems more than a little strange.

25. Dirty2

Dirty2

I had a deal worked out on a 350 that I needed . Well I got a call from the guy and he said another guy wanted to buy it . Well I had to bow out because I just didnt have the money at the time. I'll see the motor at a future swap meet in his latest rat rod for sale . A day later I had the money. Sometimes you just have to tell them you cant afford it then.

26. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

I have bridge in New York I'd like to sell ya!!