Register now to get rid of these ads!

How good is a Harley sidecar FLH from 1980?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuce Rails, Oct 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

I'm thinking about getting a sidecar rig, but I need some advice.

Around here, there are a lot of police sidecar rigs that get sold when they're worn out. They are more modern bikes, but I'm not sure that I want to go that route.

An AMF era FLH sidecar is cheap enough, but is it any good? I've heard bad stories about the AMF years. But I'm not sure that means much, because a lot could be fixed since it was made. A 1979 to 1983 or so Shovelhead with a sidecar sounds ideal. Is it?

By the way, I owned a 1999 Twin Cam Heritage Sottail, and loved it. But a sidecar carries both my wife and son. But I don't want to pay for a brand new bike and sidecar.

If I found a rig far from me, would a local Harley Davidson dealer do a pre-purchase inspections of the bike?

Any advice would be appreciated. Any sidecar experts will be honored.

Thanks,

Matt

2. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

And another question: on some sidecars it looks like the bike was lowered, but the sidecar is sailing high in the sky. Sometimes pointed up sometimes down. Is there a way to lower or angle the stance of a HD sidecar?

3. bill phillips

bill phillips
    from bothell wa

i don't know what model you are planning on using, but check out Liberty sidecars in Seattle. They have a website. their sidecars start at around 5k and go up depending on options. I eventually plan to put one on a 97 heritage springer bill

4. Probably want to shift over to the Jockey Journal for this.
    But I will say this, I have worked in the Harley Industry for many years and wouldn't own a Shovel form the height of the AMF years unless it was an old chopper I didn't minds working on regularly.

5. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

What Bill said..I had a Liberty on my Heritage HD for a few years while my Daughter was growing up..nothing bad to say about them..quality workmanship..yes you will pay for the quality..but remember your family is riding in it..AMF? ..well they needed to stick to making Bowling balls and basket balls not an american Icon..(they F-ed up HD so bad..glad the family and the employees took it back over.)

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

jockeyjournal.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.