Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's it worth? SBC 350..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mojodaddy originals, Oct 13, 2008.

1. I am looking into buying a 350 SBC for my '54 Bel Air to replace my tired 235. My buddy just pulled a "well used" 350 out of his late 70's Trans Am project. I don't know exactly which type of SBC it is or what it originally came out of. I know that it does run but it could use some serious TLC and a good rebuild. It also has a 350 auto Tranny along with it, which probably could also use a rebuild. I think it may also have a Holley carb. not sure which one though? He's asking $500.00 for everything as is. Since I am new to this hobby and need TONS of help..do you guys think it's worth $500??

2. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Is it a 350 Chevy or a 350 Pontiac?

3. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

I traded a Complete 400 S/B Chev with an edelbrock manifold, Roller rockers, Mild cam, & some chrome for a Dropped axle :D

Just couldnt even stand the thought of a S/B Chevy in my parts pile.

4. VoodooBlade

VoodooBlade

The timing cover will tell you if its B.O.P. (Buick, Olds, Pontiac) or Chevrolet.

5. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

Not worth $500 if it needs to be gone thru, my body just bought a 1969 pontaic 400 that runs well for $250.00. Just my 2 cents tho...

6. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

you can buy a used chevy truck, caprice, etc for that and know it runs/shifts good. $500 is a fair price, IF complete and in decent shape.

7. squirrel

squirrel

Should be able to get a good runner that does not need to be rebuilt for $500

8. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Needing rebuilds? Hell no.

I just found a GOOD running SBC with 350 tranny here for 300$. Hear it run in the truck no rebuild necessary. I think you could do better.

9. oldguy829

oldguy829

Sounds more like a brother in law, than a buddy.

10. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid

We bought an 88 Chevrolet half ton 2wd for $500... pulled the running motor and trans out, sold the wheels and tires for $150, and scrapped the body for $200...

11. upzndownz

upzndownz

$150 core value

12. squirrel

squirrel

the only running SBC I have right now is the 350 in our FREE 1987 suburban....but it's too nice to part out

13. It's a Chevy 350..that someone dropped in the T/A back in the 70's..I know it ran when he had it in the car..but it def. needs work because it was leaking oil and some tranny fluid..I didn't know if it would be worth the money spent if I had to re-work the whole package. Sounds like the majority vote is a big NO!! Thanks for the advice guys! In your opinion how should I go about finding a good 350/350 combo..I honestly don't want to go buy a crate motor that's already done..they're OK but they just seem to have no soul to them..

14. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

150 core on the motor 50 to 75 core on the trans if running different story .

15. I can go to the local you-pull-it and get turning over 350s all day for $150 or so, the trans another $100. The only problem there is you can't see them run first, but if you have one out of the car you may as well go through and do an oil pump, timing set, and whatever other gaskets will be a pain in the ass to change on the car, and check it out for potential problems.

For $500 4 years ago I bought a 56,000 mile '89 Suburban that I have driven the crap out of, though. And I've been to auctions more recently, I've seen running Chevy V8 stuff sell just as cheap. I don't think I'd pay $500 for a high milage motor that needs a rebuild, even one as cheap to rebuild as a 350 is.

16. tbill

tbill
    from central ny

too much, my kid bought a running sbc at a local pick and pull for $160.

17. whid

whid

i'm kinda with everybody else think you can do better.i bought a runner yrs ago for $175.00 and did as rustynewyorker said.new timing set,oil pump and a rear main while out.just cheap insurance......................dave

18. Too much for a generic small block. If you knew for sure that it had four bolt mains and a forged crank and better than usual heads, it might be worth almost that. But it's probably just a usual ordinary small block that are a dime a dozen.

19. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Hope your brother in law is a damn sight better than mine....

20. sinful_customs

sinful_customs
    from Raleigh,NC

There's nothing special about a 350, I see them on craigslist all day long with tranny's for under 300, and if it's pontiac, it's worth less, if you can get me the casting number I'll tell you exactly what it is, including heads, est HP, and if it's worth the trouble, just for a reference, I payed 400 for a built olds 425 with 550 HP

21. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

If it's a 350 sbc you're wanting, just keep an eye out. You can find them for free sometimes now days. Especially if it needs a rebuild. Not exactly hard to find collectors items....:D I love them though. That's whats going in my '54 as we speak. Good reliable motors. Not so HAMB friendly, but you have to take the bad with the good.... (Actually, I think if you could find the REAL story, lots of HAMBers probably have SBC's in their cars but just won't admit it!)

22. Thanks for all the input guys, I thought when he mentioned it that his price seemed too high..I always trust the advice given here so that's why I asked. I'm definately going to look elsewhere for a motor and tranny. Sounds like I need to venture to a Pick and Pull yard..

23. S.F.

S.F.

$150 with the trans if it needs rebuilt

24. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

make sure it's a 350. there's a guy on here who sold a 350 but it was really a 307 and he wouldn't make it right

25. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I sold a complete carb to pan SBC for $350 to a hamber, including starter/alt and a nice edelbrock(rebuilt), no leaks, HEI, ran fine

that engine you're describing sounds like a core