Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Magnets thoughts on Pileup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by magnet, Oct 12, 2008.

1. magnet

magnet

Hey
    I am running on 2 hours of sleep right now... :)

I just got home... its nice to see all the great words from everyone online.. helps numb the pain of throwing a shindig like that. There are a gazillion thanks to be thrown out, i am too tired to list them all right now.. maybe tomorrow when i can think.

I want to thank my six other Czar brothers, for really hitting it hard this pileup. This year more than ever we spread out the work, each member put in his 110%. Big thanks to Kansas for managing the gates, Hellfish for the bands and vendors, Jester for vendors, Django for all the graphics. Raygun for his expertise at the gates, and Lucky who rocked the inside parking.
    I am very proud of the Chrome Czars, it makes me happy that we can do big things and still be happy together.

Catherine "DW" helped us keep our sanity, and as usual did way more than any of us can even begin to thank her for.

My girlfriend Queen Eileen, she listens to me all year about the show, and was in charge of the t-shirt sales, she rocks.

We seem to get the job done every year, i am thankful.

Our volunteers, enable the show to happen.... more on that later, those people are amazing.

The new bar for the pre and post party, The Red Cent.. was perfect.

It was a hard show this year, the size and fluidity of the event had us going all day. The super nice weather brought in more spectators than ever and a bunch of cars, we had 1133 cars this time out, and we still have more room, so we haven't outgrown that part. The spectators flooded the spectator lot and that was the first time i have ever seen that lot fill up in my life.
    I am like Hellfish, i miss the cold, and i hope it rains next year. :) That would be nice.

We had 3 or 4 heatstrokes and a heart attack, the ambulance was running all day. Seriously, heatstroke in October.

We had a huge fire just after closing, some guy had his hood up, fuel pump must have been on a switch, overflowed the carbs and POOF.. instant flamethrower going on... The Bare Bones reacted like trained professionals, snatched their fire extinguishers out of their cars and had it out in seconds flat.

I want to extend a personal thanks to those guys, Lonn and Steve, two hot rodders that make me proud to be involved. Two nice guys who saved that guys car ...

People, safety is a necessity, wire your shit accordingly.... and for gods sake, put one of those little fire extinguishers in your car, they are cheap and effective, and may save your ass one day, ask for one for Christmas or something..

I had some interesting conversations with a bunch of people who just didn't get it. This year more than ever. But that sort of runs with the territory. Guys at the gate getting pissed for their cars getting turned, people complaining about this and that, stupid shit that no one could do anything about. I am convinced, people are stupid, and i don't like them.

And about two gazillion people who don't even know that there is a difference between a traditional rod or custom and a "rat rod".
    Back when we all came up with the idea to start a show here in the midwest... here on this board.. "rat rod" was just some words you would hear out of some gold chainers mouth.

Now its just some words that chap my ass.

I am going to make it my personal crusade to educate the masses...

The best part about the pileup is the day when all the books are done and we see that number, the one that we know will go to doing good in this world. Its hard to believe that we can all get together for something like the pileup.. a party ... with some cars ... and have the end result help out someone in need.

That's just one reason why i love America.

(check it yo, i used gazillion twice)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  2. slammed

slammed

I will work the gate for you, free of charge. Complaint's will not faze me. You people put on one Hell'va show/event! I want to give back to y'all. -Nick

3. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Great job by all those involved. Extremly well organized. I wouldn't worry about the complaints by people for having there cars turned away. You guys have a great eye for whats right and it's a big part of what makes this show as good as it is. Gary

4. blackjack21

blackjack21
    from Denver, CO

Once again the best show I've ever been to... Period. You guys just get better with time.

Much Appreciated!

-Tyler and Nick Hardie

[​IMG]

P.S. Had to sneak into the corn field, the light was just too good!

5. magnet

magnet

What... are you a city slicker? that's clearly a bean field. :) hehehe

So... how bout you give me that car? :)

Thanks

6. Cool thoughts there Magnet! Sorry I missed it this year.

7. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

Mike I also had some conversation with newbies while waiting at the gate. Apparently there are a bunch of people that don't get it. I noticed a bunch of stuff in the parking lot (while in line) I was hoping that would not get in. If they get turned away they should make that a learning experience and do it right for next year. LOL

Well I had a good time as always. BIG THANKS to everyone involved at this years show.

8. Brandi

Brandi

Great event! The Chrome Czars are really a class act and, although I was on foot for this event, it's definitely going to be one of my faves. Awesome cars and a lot of real hot rod people. See you next year - hopefully in my Impala.

9. What a friggin blast

10. power58

power58

Great Job Magnet, sorry I put all the other good stuff on the wrong post, my Rookie Mistake.

11. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

I almost got turned away....until I pointed out the shaved driprails,shaved trunklid,and the later model merc flatty under the hood! I kinda feel like I cheated somehow.....but I still want to know who let in the cars with the big billet wheels!!!!!!!

12. breederswife

breederswife

You know I like you the more I read your post on here.;) As usual, our third trip to your show was nothing short of a great time. I am impressed every year at your hard work and I believe you all (Czars and Catherine), to be very fortunate to have come together in this life. You all make everything look so easy, and I know that it takes so much hard work. I enjoy seeing all of you even if it is for only a breif moment. Thank you and congratulations on your show. Remember to wear your cup as I am sure there will be more of those habitual bitchers find their way to you. I am ever amazed that people still expect perfection from everyone else but can't go a day without messing something of their own up. I think your show comes as close to perfection as God will let you have it considering the amount of people there. Congrats again and I look forward to seeing you all again soon!

13. Pops

Pops
    Member Emeritus
    from Tulsa

Magnet,

This was my first Pile Up and I am here to tell you it was more than worth the drive from Oklahoma! So much so that we are already talking about next year. It was good meeting you and having the chance to talk with you a little at The Red Cent. Congratulations to all the Czars. Tell the complainer to stick it - they just don't "get it"!

J.

14. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

The organization at this event is unbelievable.

Our group had a great day and I constantly, all day long, noticed what a great job the volunteers were doing and what amazing planning there was.

Little stuff like the pre-approval of cars in line, to the way the T-shirt line was staffed and orchestrated, to the gate people monitoring people coming and going, to the volunteers constantly within arms length anywhere on the grounds if anything came up.

Unreal.

Nice job.

15. RunaroundSue

RunaroundSue
    from Indy

I too put my good stuff on another post. I just wanted to say I was honored this year to be able to give back to you guys by helping out and volunteering. Hope it helped you guys in some small way.

Thanks again to all of you.

16. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

Mike
    Me and the wife's first year. And we both agree...our favorite show ever. But...The clock is ticking until next year. You only have to do this again, I get to revive her 40 coupe she drove in the 80's so she can drive her own car next year. Thanks for the work, the show, and the inspiration....great job.

17. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Mike Thanks to you and all the Czars and volunteers! I know its got to be a huge pain dealing with that much traffic but as I waited in the line with a few cars in front of me (well 1 was a pickup) that obviously were not gonna get in, I had to wonder would'nt it be better to approve entry as soon they come in instead of letting them get all the way up there then you got to wait for them to argue and get pissy before finally getting out of the way I had 3 right in front of me that were denied 2 were not even close. I think it would move the lines alot faster. Please dont take this the wrong way I look forward to the show every year its just an observation I thought might help with the long wait getting in Thanks we had great time!!!

18. HotRodJosh

HotRodJosh

I must admit, I too snuck into the field. I figured it wasnt being used as a bathroom this year so why not! Also there werent 1000 people in the background!

[​IMG]

I had a blast this year. I worked in the shirt line in the morning and got to see how fast the center lot filled up. Unbelievable!

I want to thank the Czars and DW for continuing the pileup and for letting me be a part of it.

more pics in the field:
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v51/hotrodjosh/pileup 2008/

Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  19. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Guys, you did a great job! I just knew my truck wouldn't make the grade, so I stole a ride down with Stickshift. While he was way out in the lineup waiting to get in, I stood by the north entrance and watched. Me and a few other guys debated about if some cars would slide through or not, I was pretty impressed by the standards the guys on the line held. As the cars are passing the guys on the line, they have 30 seconds to make a decision, but once a car makes it inside we get as much time as we need to second guess the crew. My hat (if I wore one) is off to you guys, overall, you did great.

I also saw a few of the billet wheeled cars inside, and can tell you without a doubt two I saw slithered in after the gates were unguarded, after 3pm. I watched them park in an open spot like they had been there all day. I also heard a few guys braging how they were rejected in one line and they waited a while and came through the other line when a different set of guys were there. Too bad you guys are getting the wrap for these low lifes. Gene

20. Where the hell did everyone piss if the cornfield was picked?

21. dynamic88

dynamic88
    from Chicago

That made me laugh out loud! It's the same thing I said when I got there Friday and saw the field cut down. "Awww... Where is everyone going to piss now?"

22. Awesome show again this year,...on behalf of all the Tin Butchers who showed up this year; I'd like to thank you for the work you ALL do to put on such a great show. We all look forward to the Pileup every year; this year was the first time we got to park together as a club and we appreciate the help in letting us do so.
    ...can't wait til next year.

23. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

beanfield

24. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

I saw a really nice blue '36 Ford get in which it should but I saw it being unloaded from a enclosed trailer down the road a bit in a big empty parking lot. My friend and I laughed we should have hid behind a tree and took pics and then meet 'em at the gates. We could've played spy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Freaking awesome show. Next year Blacktop Graffiti will have a booth!

25. I was a first timer to the Pile Up this year, and I had way too much fun!! I have over 100 pics and I will try to get them up sometime in the next week or so - HotRodJosh I saw your car at the pile up and I believe I have a picture of it somewhere on my mem.card.
    Again, I can't wait for next years Pile Up!! I HAD A BLAST!! Thank you!!

26. 55_nail

55_nail

Magnet......the Chrome Czars and to all of the volunteers.....hats off to you. What an amazing event. I am with you on the cold though...the heat really kicked my ass...i was abit ripe for the ride home...guess i will make sure to get a hotel for saturday night next year!
    55_nail

27. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

My first Pile Up and I have to say of all my years going to rod runs this is the most uniquely different party I have ever attended. It is really neat to see so many folks havin' a hellofa good time. I also have to thank you guys for this event and the fact that because of it I was able finally put faces to the HAMBER's I have been chatting with for so long. Hellfish, you were extremely helpful in finding me the spot I had to hawk my wares, although I'm mad at you as you had promised to introduce your wife wife and little girls. Also got to meet Mr Hot Rod Chassis, Kevin, was nice to finally connect, Marcie, gal you got it goin', Denise, wow, what can I say, lady you're the koolest, Malcom, Hot Rod Roadster, Breeder and his beautiful wife, man you are lucky so don't screw it up, Mr. lakes Headers Matt, finally after so many conversations and business dealings together over that past years finally got to meet you. And man you have a kool pompidor doo, hey Spoons, so kool to meet you finally and travel all the way to Morris with you and all the other guys and gals in our troop, so many others too, that I apologize and don't remember names all that well. My only complaint is that there were so many people to talk with in my booth that I never got to walk around and see all the hardware. That's why I am enjoying the pictures of an event I was at but never really saw. But, that's gonna change next year. I will make sure that I come as a participant then and not a vendor. Thanks again to all responsible for the success of this event.

28. Django

Django
    from Chicago

You guys thank us. And that's cool. But this is HUMBLING...

The volunteer meeting...

[​IMG]

Wow.

Without the help from all the folks who take time out from their day enjoying hot rods and friends, to make the show a better time for everyone... the show couldn't happen. Period. So THANK YOU.

I can't believe the survivors that turned up this year. The '58, the blue '34, the blue '36 cabrio, the wild deuce, the purple '36 cabrio again, and I'm sure a few others. So cool.

I was in line for a pork chop with the first guy to drop. That freaked me out! Glad I was in the right place at the right time cause the ambulance got there pretty quick. Hope he came out ok.

It was great to see friends that I see only once or twice a year and I always wish I had more than like 5 or 10 minutes with them. Nature of the beast though.

So once again, thanks to the volunteers, our friends, our Czar brothers and DW, and especially for the Czar women for putting up with this and us year 'round.

29. NiteOwlChris

NiteOwlChris

Great show guys!!!
    I am amazed a bunch of real car guys pull this extravaganza off.....I think most of you must be MENSA members, thanks again to all involved!!! great job....period!!!

later
    Chris

30. INTRUDER

INTRUDER
    from NW Indiana

The show, the Czars and the volunteers are AWE inspiring.
    Awe as in when Moses parted the Red Sea, Jesus feeding the masses or the first time I heard a flat head Ford with straight pipes drive by.
    This IS the greatest show on Earth!