Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whby do Model A Cabriolet Values suck?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by James427, Oct 12, 2008.

1. James427

James427
    BANNED

I see these all the time selling for less than coupe prices, yet the top goes down almost like a roadster. Why are the cabriolet values so low? Why don't people like them?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  2. upzndownz

upzndownz

butt ugly comes to mind

3. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I doubt you are actually seeing cabriolets for sale. You are probably finding Sport Coupes, which tops were not made to fold down. Because of that, you pretty much need to either build them with a perminant cloth top or run with the top off. And it looks kinda funny having the door tops on them but no top. I personally still like the looks of them with their cloth tops. On 28-9's you can easily put a steel coupe top on since the lower quarters are exactly the same. But finding coupe roofs is ususally hard to do.

4. James427

James427
    BANNED

I'm talking the actual cabriolets with the folding tops without top door frames. I do see the sport coupes often too, and those values are even worse.

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

If this true it is an oddity indeed, since the Cabriolet is much rarer than any other open car except the A400 convertible sedan. They were the first of the true convertibles for Ford and a major step up from the cheapo roadsters and phaetons.

If you want one, and they are deals now, get one and enjoy it.

6. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I heard that they leak and are difficult to close up because of the wood in the bodies allow more flexing than later steel cars. Still very rare and usually only seen in museums or collections. Hard for me to believe they are not bringing big money.

7. James427

James427
    BANNED

There is one local in real nice shape that has been stored for $12,000

8. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Unless this car is nicely restored, that's not less money than a Coupe brings. At 12K you could practically have your pick of the (original car) Coupe litter.

9. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

They were the first of the true convertibles for Ford and a major step up from the cheapo roadsters and phaetons.

The little known 1915 Model T Coupelet is the real first true convertible from Ford. The top drops, the window frames go away, and you have a drop top convertible.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The bodies are nightmares to restore to useable strength...they are like Chevies, body is just a skin over a very elaborate heap of splinters and termite droppings. I think truly restored ones with all wood properly done and solid are quite expensive.

11. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I'm not sure I've ever even seen a Model A cabriolet.

12. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

:)

[​IMG]

Google is your friend :)

13. Dago Red

Dago Red
    from Delaware

Nice to see one that isn't Bronson Yellow.

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

The rotted wood replacement is the reason you don't see too many. The blue one above really looks nice, everyone paints them yellow, nice to see something different.