Register now to get rid of these ads!

non Z'd roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fourbangerford, Oct 9, 2008.

1. fourbangerford

fourbangerford
    from east Tn

I'm building an AV8 and am not sure how to achieve the stance i'm after. I would rather not Z the frame. I'm going for a late 30's look with a level stance. I was wondering if I could achieve this without z'ing the frame.
    If anyone has pics of there roadsters that aren't stepped in the rear i'd love to see them.
    Thanks

2. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

Hi,
    First, are you making that choice because you don't actually want (or can't) do the work involved? The reason I ask is because the options you have for lowering the rear without Z-ing the frame all still involve cutting, welding, bending, etc. to have a noticeable difference (like positioning the spring behind the rear axle instead of on top of it.)

The first thing to do is get the front down via a dropped front axle...actually, do you have the book? You need the book. This will at least show you everything involved:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Build-Traditional-Ford-Revised/dp/0760309000

You may be able to get away with a spring change, remove a leaf or two, and relocate it in the rear if your truly going for a late 30s stance...those cars will still kind of high.

Cris

3. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

Here's a shot of my pre war look AV8. Stock frame. Stock 32-34 front axle with a five leaf reversed eye spring. Rear spring, 5 leaves on top of axle. 7:00-16 rear tires. 6:00-16 fronts.
    Few, if any dropped axles pre war era.

Attached Files:

4. Late 30's and clear up into the 90's or so, a really low A was a rare thing.

A lot depends on the angle you view the car from.
    Not talking about getting artsy with the camera, rather front view, side view etc.

My 32 looks low in front when viewed from the front, but it's not.
    Usual stuff, 4" dropped axle, reversed eye Durant monoleaf, Model A front crossmember.

Other viewing angles show it to be high, especially from the rear, but the rear view is a function of the 32 design and it's overly high trunk area.

A's are much better in this area.
    And sit lower as well.

Here's a side view of my 31 on 32 rails A with 4" dropped axle, reversed eye Posie's spring with all the leafs and a Model A front crossmember.
    (The A crossmember is good for a 1" drop.)

If I remember correctly, the 31's lower edge below the trunk sill is 8" or so lower than the 32.
    [​IMG]

5. fourbangerford

fourbangerford
    from east Tn

AV8pauls roadster is kinda what I'm going for. I've looked at a lot of the pictures from the late 30's and most of the roadsters were pretty high. A lot looked like the frame and stuff were almost stock, yet they looked somewhat lower than stock but not as low as the post war cars. I'm just trying to figure out what they did to them in the pre-war days.
    thanks

6. flatford39

flatford39

I was going to z my frame as well until I saw Chris's A coupe with the T rear spring. It has the right stance and your not cutting up the back of the body to accomodate the Z cut. He told me he didn't even reverse the eyes. You should do a search for his coupe & I think you will like it.

7. One of my favs:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  8. fourbangerford

fourbangerford
    from east Tn

what kind of front axle is he running? the rear is sitting about exactly were I'd like mine but i'd like mine to be level. Maybe a later 30's axle would do the trick?

9. jetmek

jetmek

10. fourbangerford

fourbangerford
    from east Tn

does that roadster have a kick up in the back? or just a dropped axle? and how much of a drop is it?
    thanks

11. JOBCORP

JOBCORP

that black roadster was built by loudpedal pm him for mucho good info

12. chaddilac

chaddilac

You could build the frame with the axle on top, I know it sounds stupid but it works.

like this....

[​IMG]

13. If you want a late 30's look then NO you won't Z the frame, just wasn't common then ! Period end of story. Certainly not like Chaddilac suggested (not knocking it, just not 30's style)

14. ibcalaveras

ibcalaveras

Here is a picture of what I have built so far.... The frame is notched alittle bit...

Attached Files: