Register now to get rid of these ads!

"Play Sand" for blasting use?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by earlymopar, Oct 10, 2008.

1. earlymopar

earlymopar

I see a product called "play sand" for sale at Home Depot and other stores that I assume is meant for kids sand boxes. It's cheap at about $3.50 per bag.

Are there inherent problems using this type of sand for blasting a frame? I'm guessing that there may be impurities in this sand that are not filtered-out and that could get embedded into the steel.

Thanks,

- EM

2. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

I've used it, I always screen it but it is screened pretty well out of the bag.

3. Orv

Orv

I have tried Play sand before and it cleaned the frame fine but it seems to have just enough moisture in it to clog up the feed hole in my blaster. To much trouble for the minimal amount of money saved.

4. Zumo

Zumo

I am going to use it, or something similar, to blast my ram horns this weekend. I'll let you know how it turns out.

5. skunx1964

skunx1964

thats all i ever use on steel, works good.

6. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

Play sand is made from silica, and silica dust can wreck your lungs permanently. Look up silicosis. So make sure you have a very good resperator, or don't use it.

BJR, rtp and rust like this.
  7. earlymopar

earlymopar

Thanks for the comments guys. Good info.

Yes, I'm aware of silicosis which is a problem (as far as I know) with most any sand. I don't even use my bead-blast cabinet without a respirator even though it has it's own vacuum system inside the cabinet. I get a head ache within a few minutes from simply opening the door and picking up my parts.

- EM

8. Along with the obvious health issues, play sand also clogged my blaster about every 30 seconds. Way too much trouble. I had some stuff blasted by a pro and he used black beauty. That stuff works fantastic.

9. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Tried it..it sucked..or rather it plugged shit up..
    moisture, and sometimes it is so fine it packs up on its self or "bridges"
    in my blaster that i have to constantly clear my nozzle and hopper..

slag sands work great and dont hold any moisture, or at least very very little.
    play sand will even pick up atmospheric moisture and start the corrosion issue very quickly..if you do use it clean your project off really good before you paint it..

too much trouble in my book for the $$ savings..

10. #4 pool filter sand. The stuff they sell here needs to be sifted thru a screen to work but its cheap (4 bucks a bag) and it works fast. Wear a respirator. Coal slag is what I run in my blast cabinet and its great but I cant get it fine enough out here to run thru my pressure pot.

11. DrJ

DrJ

Yea, that's why we put it in kids sand boxes so they can throw it at each other and let the wind pick it up and blow it in their little faces because we really do want to do in the little bastards... ;)

I use it because I blast on the back lawn and it just becomes one with the landscape.
    I try to do it on the low spots in the lawn to fill them in some.
    I wear a good respirator and goggles and coveralls and cover as much of my head as I can and ground myself to the metal with a wire because the static charge jumped about 2" once and burned the fuck out of my knuckle where it arc'd.
    I also wear a bandana over my nose cowboy style when I ride my bicycle on the beach bike trail because of the blowing sand.

12. All these issues are why I am currently building a PA Blaster. CLogs never seem to be an issue with em. I found the perfect tank today in fact!

13. 53choptop

53choptop

You wont be disappointed!! I used a water heater tank.

14. upzndownz

upzndownz

i've found the play sand needs to b screened well and had loads of moisture clogging problems the few times i've tried it// for just a dollar or 2 more just get the good steril bagged blasting sand// around here auto paint supply stores,equipment rental places are the easiest places to find thatt carry it

15. too much moisture...pain in the ass

16. Cool, I might PM you for tips when I am building mine. This tank is HUGE so I am going to cut it down and make a short/squat tank outta it.

17. Play sand is sanitized and has the cat shit removed so the little kids don't get to sick. It is not of a uniform size and that's what makes it clog up and hold moisture. Get 30 or the finer 60 grit that each grain is the same size. Some sand is beach sand that has been tumbled for 10,000 years and doesn't have sharp corners so it doesn't cut as well.
    My local Ace Hardwear store has sandblasting sand.

18. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

Isn't all sand a silicate by nature of it being, um, sand?

19. I have used it but by nature play sand has different sized grains to compact and build stuff with. That is the same reason it WILL clog your gun. Blasting sand has a uniform size that shouldn't clog if your compressor is water free. Try to find a product called "Black Diamond". That is the only blasting media I use anymore.

Good luck.

BloodyKnuckles

20. Crease

Crease

If it's dry and you strain it, works fine.

21. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Hey earlymopar,
    Smart guy to use a respirator! A few of them nested together can't hurt.
    That #!!%^^&!!# sand doesn't care if it clogs and cuts your lung tissue.
    Take plenty of breaks and walk away from the job occasionally to breath.
    Good luck with your project!

22. gas pumper

gas pumper

I use play sand in my pressure blaster. I keep ahead of the moisture by having 10 bags in the garage all the time. When I'm done blasting I buy what I used and so use the oldest first. It drys itself out over time.

I screen with a window screen. Keeps the cloggers out.

I tried ocean beach sand, but the salt content made for immediate rust.

23. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

I TRIED to use play sand in the white bag from ACE and it clogged the crap out of my blaster. Then i went to HD and bought another bag that was yellow. I think it said on the bag that it was good for sandblasting or something to that nature. Its 5-8 bucks per bag. Still need a respirator with that stuff.

24. Ditto on the moisture problems.Stuff turns into cornbread after a while.It took me two hours to clean out all the moist crap out of my blaster,it stopped up everything.Just not worth the extra effort to save a buck a bag.I will never try that again.

25. Misfit

Misfit
    from Upstate NY

Right next to the play sabd at Lowes or Home Depot is concrete supplies. Get some masons sand, that's what I use. It's fine so it won't clog and already real dry. Leave the play sand for the sandbox.

26. Jarred Hodges

Jarred Hodges

If it is damp at all it'll clog the nozzle. You can buy blasting sand for about $7.00 per 100lb bag

27. BEAR

BEAR

i use silica sand or you can get it at home Depot its called silver sand #20
    thats what i did my dash with !!

28. ATX

ATX
    from Austin, TX

I occasionally blast with a little handheld snap-on unit. I have tried play sand and found there is too much moisture and too many impurities that clog up the gun. In my opinion it is definitely worth finding a commercial supplier and choosing the grade sand that suites your needs.

29. 33ghost

33ghost
    from Tennessee

This is O/T but still the same also. Has anyone seen people that usr DRY,ICE to blast with ?

30. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

For 10-12 years I operated a boat prop sales and repair shop as a side business. Aluminum props need the paint blasted off before you start pounding on them to straighten so as to be able to see any cracks. I used a cabinet blaster.
    I started out using glass beads, then in an economy move I changed to blsting sand, #30 IIRC. Then one time when I needed sand the guy I bought it from was out, so in desperation, I went to Home Depot and bought a bag of play sand as it was all I could find. Worked so well I never went back to buy anymore blasting sand. I'm still using it on hot rod parts and stuff. Works fine for me, but I open the bags and pour it into plastic 5 gallon buckets to store till use. That helps to keep it dry, IMO.
    Dave