Register now to get rid of these ads!

The rebulding of a turd..my truck *New Pics Added*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tony, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Lookin good Tony....

I like you got myself into a mess with My AD....dig through my past posts and look for my build thread, You'll see that your not alone...I saw yours and had BAD flashbacks....But worse...

2. Tony

Tony

Thanks Shawn..Yeah, i guess i have a plan...although it's made some turn's along the way but overall i have a good idea of what i want to end up with.

Salty, i remember seeing what you went through..sorry for bringing up the bad memories :)

So, i welded up all the not needed hole's in the firewall yesterday, then finished the body work it, and primed it...
    Going back now to block it out. It was smoothed over at some point but not finished all that well, plus there were a lot of hole's that weren't used..so i figured i'd get that taken care of while it was off he frame..

The main chassis is done now. While it's open i figured i'd also get my shifter bracket built, and get it all adjusted so that when the body go's back on all i have to do it bolt it in place and it's done...MUCH easier to sit on the rail and do it than on your back...

Here's a crappy cell phone pic of the firewall...
    anyway, thanks guy's..

I'm off to work on it.

Tony

Attached Files:

3. I've got to come up with something similar on my own truck. You mounting the cross braces to that or bolting the bed right to those taller ones ?

4. Tony

Tony

The cross bracing, 1x2 rec tubing, is welded to the flange on the bed. First the bed get's set on, then the floor over that....the bolt's then go through the floor, through the cross bracing and mount's on the frame to get nut and bolted together..
    Pretty simple really. It help's that my floor is just a sheet of aluminum diamond plate..no wood to deal with.

If you need better pics let me know.. When i get a chance i'll take some of the bracing/bed and better one's of the frame mounts.

5. motorbreath53

motorbreath53
    from SoCal

This truck looked sick when you got it..... it'll be good to see it together again with no booger welds slathered in filler....

Seriously awesome job on this stuff, and i'm looking forward to seeing it painted... (can't go wrong with nice flames on black paint man... specially if the flames take a cue from those on Bob's Merc.....)

6. Tony

Tony

Thanks man..
    I love flame's, but mostly on other people's rides...
    The style on Bob's Merc though...just damn perfect in my eye's..
    I even contacted him asking for some detailed pics..and if he'd mind if i copied that style on my truck...
    He sent me some nice close up's and said have at it.

I'd be happy if they looked half as cool on my truck as they do his Merc.

7. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

I can't wait to see the end results!

8. motorbreath53

motorbreath53
    from SoCal

To me, there are few things worse than crappy flames... you know what i'm talking about... look to be drawn in crayon by a 10 year old, crappy ass fade between two colors that don't make sense anyway... hate that.

..but those long sexy flowing flames... with perfect color and some sick stripe work to finish em off.... like the ones on the merc that your referencing....

...I don't think you have anything to worry about... especially on a round fendered truck like your "turd"... I hope mine looks like the turd just like your hoping your flames look like Bobs.... (there's always someone with cooler shit, huh?)

Couple questions though.

1. Are you running wheelspacers up front?
    2. If you could run Mustang II on a stock frame, or deal with the S10 stuff again, what would YOU choose?
    3. Is there any legal BS with the DMV or other when swapping the frame of a vehicle with a different VIN under your truck? If so, who did you sweet-talk/bribe/bury to get around this stuff?
    (I know there is endless debate on some of this stuff... but I figure the word of someone that has delt with this is more valuble...)

9. Tony

Tony

I hear ya on the flames..Bob's Merc just struck me hard when i first saw pics of it...Just love that look!

As far as the chassis..There's no spacers up front. Just 15x7 rims.
    If i was to do it again ( and i'm sure i will someday, this one won't be the only one i build :D), i'd still go the S-10 route.
    There's NOTHING wrong with the MII route with the amount of quality product's out there, and installing them is pretty straight forward..
    I just like this set up for what i'm going to use it for. It'll be more of a real world vehicle than a hot rod being used as a truck would be..The updated frame is a bonus, as is the control arm front end and modern rear spring set up, steering etc...
    And the actual fab work to mate the body to the S-10 chassis wasn't hard at all..
    Basically just a personal preference thing with me, nothing more..

When i registred this, i had a clear Ohio title so it was not a problem.
    But, we'll be building two more within the next year or so, and will just register them with the A/D papers.
    Rarely do they check in depth enough to create an issue.
    It's as simple as going to the DMV with the proper papers filled out, a clear, signed registration and a hand full of cash......the cash is what's important to them..
    Now, that's in NY...i'm sure it's not as easy everywhere.

Thanks again:)

Tony-

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  10. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Rarely do they check in depth enough to create an issue.
    It's as simple as going to the DMV with the proper papers filled out, a clear, signed registration and a hand full of cash......the cash is what's important to them..
    Now, that's in NY...i'm sure it's not as easy everywhere."

Exactly right, Tony.....at least that's been my experience & perception.