Register now to get rid of these ads!

need help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Horan, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Horan

Horan

i have a 64 new yorker with a 361 in it and its running hot and i can't figure out why. i replaced the water pump and the thrmostat as well as the hoses and its still getting hot. any little bit will help thax

2. squirrel

squirrel

is the radiator plugged? is the gage accurate (or is it spitting out coolant or steam)? did it blow a head gasket?

3. Horan

Horan

i just put a new gage in so i don't think its that and i don't think its the head gasket just because its not blowing out smoke and there was no oil in the coolent

4. Also look for bubbles (usually tiny) in the water.

5. Horan

Horan

could i just look in the radiator and see them

and squirrel its blowing steam

6. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

air pocket?

7. Horan

Horan

there are no bubbles

air pocket??

8. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

air pockets are more common in late models,,but it happens when for some strange reason..your car gets hot,,burps out water,cools down,then you fill it up,but the water doesnt get back all the way down,then you start it up (it looks full) you drive,,it still gets hot.,,there is a air pocket in your cooling system,,like i said,,it is most common in late models(why, i dont know),,but it is so common,that they have bleeder screws,,,,to relieve the air pockets

9. squirrel

squirrel

Is the radiator cap ok? and have you looked into the radiator to see if the tubes look clogged?

10. Tried a raidator flush, maybe a clogged water jacket?

11. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Two things: You can do a pressure test to see how badly the radiator is plugged, or just get it rodded out or replaced. The other, does it have a fan clutch and is it operating correctly? Fan clutches usually show the heating condition at slow or stopped speeds, whereas the plugged radiator shows up more so at highway speeds.

If you are not sure about the head gaskets, then have a radiator shop do a block test. They use a syringe like device with blue fluid in it and measure exhaust gases in cooling system. If the fluid turns green or yellow then it's got exhaust in the cooling system.

12. Horan

Horan

i did flush the radiator 3 times it seems to be running good now. Thax for all the help