Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do you trust these mounts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A-Wall, Oct 2, 2008.

1. A-Wall

A-Wall

i was looking at these Speedway mounts with their cushion kits. are they strong? like 400+hp strong?

[​IMG]

i like the looks but have never used anything like this before.

thanks

2. butch27

butch27

They look like CAST to me probably China. Answer=NO

3. Butch 27 has an excellent point.

If they were USA made, cast iron or steel, looks like they are strong enough.

I find it hard to trust a country that's poisoned our pets, sold lead based paint products to our tots and is now selling poisoned chocolate to the adults.

Cadbury Creme Eggs, an Easter treat in many places are made in China and they've found melamine in them.
    Melamine being the same stuff our pets were poisoned with.

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I bet those mounts have melamine in them too.

5. Yep.

A Made In USA guy myself,,,I think you would have more fun making mounts yourself!
    plus if you need ideas there are plenty of smart ,good fabricators right here that will get you in the right direction

6. Speedsterinc

Speedsterinc

I think with those mounts. I would drill a hole in them put a dowel thru it and hang it on the shitter wall along with some Charmin LOL. It might be strong enough for that.

7. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

I think if speedway sells them they should work. if they sold a faulty product and injuries occured then they would get the pants sued off them. they should have a application specification.

8. NostalgiaT

NostalgiaT

If you can fabracate you can make your own mounts I did for my T. Used the ones In the CCR plans work well same type of setup although I use a 5/8 bolt and washer along with some old Poly body mount for the cushions. Will those mounts work Yes but the week link in that setup is the bolt and cushion that go with them I have known a few people to break the bolt and cushion but not the mounts.

9. A-Wall

A-Wall

thanks for the input! so it looks like im making my own then.. these are probly made in china.

but from what nostalgiaT is saying, are cushion mount even that safe? more for show than anyting else? i sure as hell dont want the bolt breaking on me.

10. dante81_98

dante81_98
    1. A-D Truckers

I tend to follow the thought that if I have to ask if someone else would trust something then I don't trust it.

11. Anderson

Anderson

None of the Cadbury eggs sold in the USA come from China. Or so I read...

I wouldn't use those mounts. Chassis Engineering makes some welded steel ones that look much better and you won't have to drill a thing. Or, make your own. There are thousands of cars running biscuit style mounts. Seems a hell of a lot stronger than say, a '55 Chevy motor mount. I've never heard of the bolts breaking....the rubber mount going bad, yes, but no broken bolts.

12. skunx1964

skunx1964

good, cuz i like the damn candies. sheesh...

13. Don't use those, rummer is they have poison chocolate inside:)

Seriously, I think for a light, low horse power application they might be okay but, if you can make 400 ponies I'd be a little apprehensive. Besides it'd be more fun and just as easy to cook up something of your own.

14. 38plymouth

38plymouth

They look great. Have set of them in my ride on mower and haven't broke yet.
    Oh.....you mean for a automobile, guess so. 4 cyl rice puller maybe.

15. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

16. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Speedway sold steel pitman arms that failed.

If these broke it would suck, but I don't think it would be "kill you" suck, Just "ruin your stuff" suck.

I wouldn't use em.

17. 66 Belle

66 Belle

Well if they're willing to poison their own off spring, then where does that leave us?

18. Neglected Steel

Neglected Steel

I have a set and they are made by Mr. Roadster

19. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Yeah, I broke the one on my car like two weeks ago. Fuckin' garbage!!

20. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I used a polished set on a 34 P/U 30 years ago and as far as I know they are still holding up well. Did you notice how thick they are? They were meant for street rods. If you have some bumper dragin' wheel stander that requires a roll cage then you might want race car parts but I don't think you have anything to worry about for a high performance street car. JMO

21. All that aside I'm a cold war brat I just find it hard to financially support communism.

Bottom line is that we trade with China as a country but if I want to buy someone elses junk I would prefer it to be Red, White and Blue junk. Today is as good a day as any to send a message to the purveyors of Chinese junk.

I think one of the fellas back east is makeing something along the same lines only out of Steel plate, granted the plate is also probably imported but at least the part is make right here in the US of A.

22. skidsteer

skidsteer

I think you might want to put a cushion in, regardless of what you use, or you could end up with the shakes.

23. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

There are definitely welded plate ones just like that available...I have a set in the basement, but no idea of origin. Found'em in a Chevy/Jeep at junkyard...

24. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I saw them..than turned the page..just didnt feel right to me.
    something about them screamed cheap ass shit, to me..i could be wrong

25. I'm with Fidgiter, never heard of a bolt breaking on the 48 Ford style cushion mounts.

The re-pro cushions seem to go away though.

You can make your own cushions out of UHMW plastic.
    Hard stuff, but it does damp vibrations.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You don't need the aluminum load spreader plates.
    I thought they would be required, but not so.

About 30,000 miles on a set of these cushions in my 32.
    No probs.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  26. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

The welded steel type. I did not want the billet look of the aluminum ones. That is the only reason that I did not use them again. My taste changed over the 20 years between builds. I had an alternator on the first truck.:eek::D

The aluminum mounts are not a new item. They have been around for a long time. I had good luck with them.

27. Man C9, taht's a nice clean looking mount on the old Buick!

28. Thanks . . . fwiw, 48,000 miles to date and no probs from the torquey - 520# or so 462" Buick engine in the 32.

29. Camel

Camel
    from oroville

Frickin' China, I bought some Melamine and found a Cadburry Egg in it.

30. Kustomz

Kustomz

Just my opinion, but if you have doubt you will probably always wonder if you do use them and won't be totally happy. I have never used those mounts, but that's just my experience on parts I have been unsure about.